NextWave yields, returns 1550 MHz to FCC for re-auction

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.attws (More info?)

NextWave & the FCC reached an agreement late yesterday that will
engender NextWave's emergence from bankruptcy proceedings later this
year. To largely settle its debt to the U.S. Treasury, NextWave will
return 72% of its PCS C or PCS F licenses to the FCC. Minus the 18%
of its spectrum that it sold to Cingular last fall, NextWave will
retain about 10% of its original licenses won at auction in the late
1990s. Key licenses that NextWave will keep will be primarily in the
densely-populated northeast corridor, including the full PCS C 30 MHz
in NYC, the remaining 20 MHz of the PCS C in Boston, and the PCS F 10
MHz in Philly, et al. Primary markets in which NextWave will concede
or disaggregate spectrum back to the FCC for re-auction include: LA,
Cleveland, Denver, Houston, et al. VZW & Cingular-AT&TWS - as the
most active participants in the original so-called "NextWave
re-auction" of 2000-2001 - should be salivating at the prospect of
getting a second stab at much of this prime PCS spectrum covering
entirely major markets.

"http://www.nytimes.com/2004/04/21/business/21spectrum.html?ex=1083124800&en=7fd21e8d68e6f575&ei=5062&partner=GOOGLE"
"http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/usatoday/20040421/tc_usatoday/nextwavetoreturnairwavelicensestofccforauction"
http://rcrnews.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?newsId=17782
http://rcrnews.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?newsId=17802
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A29412-2004Apr20.html

Andrew
--
Andrew Shepherd
cinema@ku.edu

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.attws (More info?)

In article <33e89561.0404211035.574f08c6@posting.google.com>,
cinema@ku.edu (Andrew Shepherd) wrote:

> NextWave & the FCC reached an agreement late yesterday that will
> engender NextWave's emergence from bankruptcy proceedings later this
> year. To largely settle its debt to the U.S. Treasury, NextWave will
> return 72% of its PCS C or PCS F licenses to the FCC. Minus the 18%
> of its spectrum that it sold to Cingular last fall, NextWave will
> retain about 10% of its original licenses won at auction in the late
> 1990s. Key licenses that NextWave will keep will be primarily in the
> densely-populated northeast corridor, including the full PCS C 30 MHz
> in NYC, the remaining 20 MHz of the PCS C in Boston, and the PCS F 10
> MHz in Philly, et al. Primary markets in which NextWave will concede
> or disaggregate spectrum back to the FCC for re-auction include: LA,
> Cleveland, Denver, Houston, et al. VZW & Cingular-AT&TWS - as the
> most active participants in the original so-called "NextWave
> re-auction" of 2000-2001 - should be salivating at the prospect of
> getting a second stab at much of this prime PCS spectrum covering
> entirely major markets.

Maybe I shouldn't be considering buying the Milwaukee Brewers,
and instead save my money for this Auction?

:->

"Robert M." <rmarkoff@msn.com> wrote in message

> Maybe I shouldn't be considering buying the Milwaukee Brewers,
> and instead save my money for this Auction?
>
> :->

The Brewers?? C'mon Phil- even you have to admit Sprint PCS wins more than
the Brewers.

Jer

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2004

Robert M. wrote:

> In article <33e89561.0404211035.574f08c6@posting.google.com>,
> cinema@ku.edu (Andrew Shepherd) wrote:
>

>>NextWave & the FCC reached an agreement late yesterday that will
>>engender NextWave's emergence from bankruptcy proceedings later this
>>year. To largely settle its debt to the U.S. Treasury, NextWave will
>>return 72% of its PCS C or PCS F licenses to the FCC. Minus the 18%
>>of its spectrum that it sold to Cingular last fall, NextWave will
>>retain about 10% of its original licenses won at auction in the late
>>1990s. Key licenses that NextWave will keep will be primarily in the
>>densely-populated northeast corridor, including the full PCS C 30 MHz
>>in NYC, the remaining 20 MHz of the PCS C in Boston, and the PCS F 10
>>MHz in Philly, et al. Primary markets in which NextWave will concede
>>or disaggregate spectrum back to the FCC for re-auction include: LA,
>>Cleveland, Denver, Houston, et al. VZW & Cingular-AT&TWS - as the
>>most active participants in the original so-called "NextWave
>>re-auction" of 2000-2001 - should be salivating at the prospect of
>>getting a second stab at much of this prime PCS spectrum covering
>>entirely major markets.
>

> Maybe I shouldn't be considering buying the Milwaukee Brewers,
> and instead save my money for this Auction?
>
> :->

What's a Milwaukee Brewer? <just curious>

--
jer email reply - I am not a 'ten' ICQ = 35253273
"All that we do is touched with ocean, yet we remain on the shore of

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.attws (More info?)

Check the National League (US) Central Division.

Chris

"Jer" <gdunn@airmail.ten> wrote in message
> Robert M. wrote:
>
> > In article <33e89561.0404211035.574f08c6@posting.google.com>,
> > cinema@ku.edu (Andrew Shepherd) wrote:
> >

> >>NextWave & the FCC reached an agreement late yesterday that will
> >>engender NextWave's emergence from bankruptcy proceedings later this
> >>year. To largely settle its debt to the U.S. Treasury, NextWave will
> >>return 72% of its PCS C or PCS F licenses to the FCC. Minus the 18%
> >>of its spectrum that it sold to Cingular last fall, NextWave will
> >>retain about 10% of its original licenses won at auction in the late
> >>1990s. Key licenses that NextWave will keep will be primarily in the
> >>densely-populated northeast corridor, including the full PCS C 30 MHz
> >>in NYC, the remaining 20 MHz of the PCS C in Boston, and the PCS F 10
> >>MHz in Philly, et al. Primary markets in which NextWave will concede
> >>or disaggregate spectrum back to the FCC for re-auction include: LA,
> >>Cleveland, Denver, Houston, et al. VZW & Cingular-AT&TWS - as the
> >>most active participants in the original so-called "NextWave
> >>re-auction" of 2000-2001 - should be salivating at the prospect of
> >>getting a second stab at much of this prime PCS spectrum covering
> >>entirely major markets.
> >

> > Maybe I shouldn't be considering buying the Milwaukee Brewers,
> > and instead save my money for this Auction?
> >
> > :->
>

> What's a Milwaukee Brewer? <just curious>
>
> --
> jer email reply - I am not a 'ten' ICQ = 35253273
> "All that we do is touched with ocean, yet we remain on the shore of
> what we know." -- Richard Wilbur

Jer

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2004

Chris Russell wrote:
> Check the National League (US) Central Division.
>
> Chris

National League of what? Colour me lost.

--
jer email reply - I am not a 'ten' ICQ = 35253273
"All that we do is touched with ocean, yet we remain on the shore of
what we know." -- Richard Wilbur

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.attws (More info?)

Jer - National League of "Major League Baseball". The Milwaukee Brewers
are a professional baseball team. If you're still lost, baseball is a
sport.
See http://milwaukee.brewers.mlb.com/

Frank Harris wrote:

> Jer - National League of "Major League Baseball". The Milwaukee Brewers
> are a professional baseball team. If you're still lost, baseball is a
> sport.
> See http://milwaukee.brewers.mlb.com/

Ohhhhhh, okay, I get it. I'm not a baseball (nor any other sport)
person, so no wonder I was lost. Thanks.

--
jer email reply - I am not a 'ten' ICQ = 35253273
"All that we do is touched with ocean, yet we remain on the shore of
what we know." -- Richard Wilbur

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.attws (More info?)

another map, detailing the devolution of NextWave's PCS spectrum
holdings.

http://people.ku.edu/~cinema/wireless/nextwave_map.html

Look to see where NextWave will retain licenses, where Cingular
acquired airwaves from NextWave earlier this spring, and where the
major wireless carriers will go toe to toe over much desired spectrum
in the second re-auction of the cancelled NextWave licenses possibly
as soon as later this year.

Andrew
--
Andrew Shepherd
cinema@ku.edu

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.attws (More info?)

>another map, detailing the devolution of NextWave's PCS spectrum
>holdings.
>
>http://people.ku.edu/~cinema/wireless/nextwave_map.html
>
>Look to see where NextWave will retain licenses, where Cingular
>acquired airwaves from NextWave earlier this spring, and where the
>major wireless carriers will go toe to toe over much desired spectrum
>in the second re-auction of the cancelled NextWave licenses possibly
>as soon as later this year.
>
>Andrew

Cool map :)

What do the striped areas indicate? The Manchester NH licneses went to
Cingular but the color is striped green.

Dave Markson <dave@markson.removeit.net> wrote in message news:<h22j80917rkk2q5g9viatm9tcbmakfpgop@4ax.com>...

> Cool map :)
>
> What do the striped areas indicate? The Manchester NH licneses went to
> Cingular but the color is striped green.

PCS license disaggregation.

If I read my own map correctly - and I assuredly hope that I do -
NextWave won at FCC Auction 5 the PCS C 30 MHz license for the
Manchester, NH BTA274. Last fall, consummated this spring, from the
full 30 MHz license NextWave disaggregated the PCS C3 10 MHz (light
orange striping) to Cingular. Subsequently, upon finalization of the
accord struck earlier this week, NextWave will return the remaining 20
MHz - the PCS C4+C5 (light green striping) - back to the FCC at which
time the license will be cancelled for impending re-auction.

For further example, in the Los Angeles BTA, from its full PCS C 30
MHz license NextWave disaggregated again the PCS C3 10 MHz block to
Cingular as part of their spectrum transaction. NextWave is now
returning an additional 10 MHz to the FCC for cancellation &
re-auction. And NextWave is retaining a 10 MHz block of the original
30 MHz license for itself. Hence, the LA BTA displays tri-color
violet (NextWave), orange (Cingular), & green (FCC) striping.

As the dilapidated NextWave is now ultimately unlikely to ever emerge
as a player in the wireless industry, the areas of utmost interest
should be those in green - licenses cancelled/disaggregated to the FCC
- which could become available at a second so-called "NextWave
re-auction" w/in the year.

Might VZW like to finally obtain significant spectrum in Oklahoma &/or
Kentucky? Would Cingular - neglecting for the moment the potential
gains of the merger - wish to acquire its very own licenses in Denver
&/or Minneapolis? Perhaps ALLTEL would seek to substantiate its
surrounding hinterland footprint by gaining entry into the major
markets of Kansas City, Milwaukee, Cincinatti, Pittsburgh, &/or
Minneapolis?

Additionally, NextWave (violet or blue) will continue to control the
full PCS C 30 MHz license - basically a sixth of all CMRS spectrum -
in the most important market in the world: the New York BTA. Though
not at auction, those licenses retained by NextWave in full or in part
- particularly NYC, Boston, Philadelphia, Baltimore, Washington D.C.,
Detroit, & LA - will also be ripe for private bids by the major
carriers.

In NYC, AT&TWS currently holds 35 MHz (Cellular A-side 25 MHz + PCS E
10 MHz). VZW also holds 35 MHz (Cellular B-side 25 MHz + PCS F 10
MHz). Sprint PCS controls 30 MHz (PCS B 30 MHz). And T-Mobile &
Cingular share 40 MHz (PCS A 30 MHz + PCS D 10 MHz). Look at the
parity. Would not absorbtion in whole or in part of the essentially
idle NextWave PCS C 30 MHz license - it has only been commercially
utilized under special temporary authority by AT&TWS & T-Mobile
immediately following September 11 - be a monumental addition to the
spectrum portfolio(s) of the acquiring network(s) in NYC?

Andrew
--
Andrew Shepherd
cinema@ku.edu