ADSL Modem questions - please help!

KeithTheMaltese

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2002
I am finally getting ADSL and I am pondered with this question: I have 2 choices of modems...Home or USB.

Apparently an USB modem connects to your USB port and doesn't require a NIC.
A Home modem does.

This is a quote from my ISP:

<i>To use a USB modem, you need to have a USB port on your PC (most modern PCs have such a port). If you do not have a USB port, then you need to install a Network Card and use the Home type modem. </i>

So, what are the differences in performance between the two? What I'm getting is a 512k up/ 128k down connection. What should I get? Advantages? Disadvantages? I am a single user and I'm not on a network.

Thank you in advance !!!

Keith.

Both PCI and USB modems use system resources. Most modem with ethernet (NIC) capability are built into routers.

A router has it's own CPU and memory, and therefore uses no PC resources.

Assuming you can afford it and have the know how, a router is usually the best option.

Otherwise, the USB option is the easiest.

<b><font color=blue>~ <A HREF="http://www.btvillarin.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=324" target="_new">My System Specs</A> ~<font color=blue></b> :wink:

HammerBot

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2002
I would definitely go for the modem for two reasons:

1) You can easily add a switch or a hub, and make your own LAN. I know you write you are a single user and not on a network. But some day you'll get another PC you want to attach to the WAN as well. Or when you have friends visiting, they can easily plug into your switch and get WAN access as well.
2) You will have no problem with drivers etc., and you can use the modem even if you run Linux.