Frank627

Distinguished
May 10, 2003
Could anyone please tell me if there is any downside for overclocking Athlon XP 2200? Since I was told that CPUs from AMD generally have higher tempertures, does that mean I may damage my Athlong by overclocking it?

To have a trouble free system, please teach me what to be aware when I overclock the Athlon.

Thanks

monkeyspank

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2001
shortened life of components?
danger of overheating?
voided warranty?

<font color=red> -- </font color=red><font color=blue>A bush in the hand is worth two birds at the bar</font color=blue>

Prof133

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2003
* Palomino core Athlons run relatively hot but the newer Thoroughbreds are doing fine.

* Can't get much more out of 2200+. In my opinion it's not worth it.

svol

Champion
Well if you have the T-bred A XP2200+ then you wont get it much higher... you can recognize these ones with WCPUID, they have model number 7.

Anyway if you OC slowly and watch your temps then there is as good as no risk in overclocking. You don't want your full load temps to get over 60-65 C. To test stability you can use Prime95, if it can run without giving errors for some hours then your system should be stable. To test memory stability when overclocking the FSB you can use Memtest86.

My dual-PSU PC is so powerfull that the neighbourhood dims when I turn it on :eek:

Nights_L

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2003
All CPU have some potential for Overclocking and are NOT harmful, but beyond that, it becomes bad for your CPU
let's say you OC your XP2200 FSB from 133 to 150, no big deal (T-Bred B of course),
let's ay you OC FSB 133 to 200, wow, then it's harmful ~

icy_oblivion

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2002
svol, do those temps hold true for the T-bred B cores as well?

just asking since i have my t-bred B 1800+ at the speed of a 2100+ running idle at 37 degrees and am wondering how high I can push the temperature.

<b>Just because I like AMD or Intel more at a time because of one product compared to another, does not make me a fan boy, it makes me a person who is able to make a decision for myself.</b>

svol

Champion
Well they have the same melting point... but you might want to keep them slightly cooler, lets say 60 C.

And your CPU can be pushed way higher.

My dual-PSU PC is so powerfull that the neighbourhood dims when I turn it on :eek:

icy_oblivion

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2002
that's all I needed to hear

no for some more fun, hehe

<b>Just because I like AMD or Intel more at a time because of one product compared to another, does not make me a fan boy, it makes me a person who is able to make a decision for myself.</b>