Fans Fans Fans

hoserb2000

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2002
2 questions guys

1) Does anybody know how much of a cooling difference there would be usuing 4800 rpm fans (Smart fan 2, or somthing like that) vs usuing a 5700 rpm, for heatsink and case

2) on a single fan PS unit, how can you tell which way the fan blows before you build your system?

<font color=blue>Let's see, 500 posts a day, each day, for 30 days, and I will have more posts than Crashman!</font color=blue>

Teq

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2003
Most coolers have some "overhead" before serious degradation in cooling occurs. One of my favorite tricks for quieting down a noisy CPU fan is to put a 10 ohm 5 watt resistor in series with the fan's read wire. This knocks about 5% off the fan's speed (4700 rpm fans usually end up around 3800) but it usually only makes 1 or 2 degrees difference in operating temperatures.

Ummm... there are two answers to your second question, depending how it's interpreted...

PSU fans universally blow air out the back of the machine. This is a good thing, since it draws cool air in through the intakes in the front of the case and circulates it through the entire case. As a general rule, fans on the back blow air out of the case, fans on the front blow air in.

The fan housings have arrows on them showing both direction of rotation and direction of airflow. Sometimes they're a little hard to see but they're alsways there... As a general rule the fan blows air from the open side of the blade housing across it's own motor. Most rotate counterclockwise.

---><font color=green>It ain't better if it don't work</font color=green><---

hoserb2000

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2002
phew! thanks a lot!

<font color=blue>Let's see, 500 posts a day, each day, for 30 days, and I will have more posts than Crashman!</font color=blue>