Kyocera K404 with Verizon - HELP

Last response: in Network Providers
May 3, 2005 12:47:32 AM

My son's Kyocera K404 (Verizon is my provider) mysteriously has a blank
(actually very dark) screen but, other than that, the phone seems to work
fine.
When I turn the phone on the keys light up and the screen is like looking at
a dark grey tv screen with no picture. After the phone initializes the keys
and the screen turn off.

I can dial out and can get calls in but I cannot see anything on the screen
at all (no numbers, no text, no power bars, nada).

Any thoughts?
When I interrogated my 16 year old son he stated 'oh yeah...that sometimes
happens but if I take the battery out and blow on the contacts it eventually
comes back'. Oh yeah, like I believe that!

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Walter

More about : kyocera k404 verizon

Anonymous
May 3, 2005 12:54:54 AM

In news:FSzde.20206$V02.705@fe08.lga,
Walter Cohen <w_cohen@hotmail.com> typed:
=== SNIP ===
> Any thoughts?
> When I interrogated my 16 year old son he stated 'oh yeah...that
> sometimes happens but if I take the battery out and blow on the
> contacts it eventually comes back'. Oh yeah, like I believe that!
>
> Any help is greatly appreciated.
> Thanks,
> Walter

Why not try what your 16 year old said - then you would know ;-)
Anonymous
May 3, 2005 5:22:25 AM

> Any thoughts?

If the phone is less than a year old, and not damaged, and if your bill is
paid, you can bring it back to any VZW store, and they'll replace it with
another 404 FRU (Field Replacement Unit, aka refurbished phone).

Kyocera had the same persistent problem with their 2235 a few years back,
I'd be interested to know if your son's is a fluke, or if the engineers
screwed up, again.

ex-tech

May 3, 2005 5:22:26 AM

ex-tech wrote:

> If the phone is less than a year old, and not damaged, and if your bill is
> paid, you can bring it back to any VZW store, and they'll replace it with
> another 404 FRU (Field Replacement Unit, aka refurbished phone).
>
> Kyocera had the same persistent problem with their 2235 a few years back,

And the Sprint PCS 2255, which was almost the same as the 2235 but with a
couple very minor modifications (and Sprint firmware).

We had two 2255 screens die on us. A shame, because otherwise it's a sweet
little phone.

--New Order, "Bizarre Love Triangle"
Anonymous
May 3, 2005 5:25:10 PM

On Mon, 2 May 2005 20:47:32 -0400, "Walter Cohen"
<w_cohen@hotmail.com> wrote:

>When I interrogated my 16 year old son he stated 'oh yeah...that sometimes
>happens but if I take the battery out and blow on the contacts it eventually
>comes back'. Oh yeah, like I believe that!

I wouldn't completely dismiss your son's statement. There might be
some merit to it. I've seen stranger things happen, especially with
regards to battery contacts on Kyocera phones.

If his "blowing the contacts" trick works, try using denatured alcohol
and foam swabs (available at Radio Shack) to clean the contacts on the
battery and phone, being careful not to short across the battery
contacts.
!