Sign in with
Your question

Best method to buy case fans?

Last response: in Overclocking
May 16, 2003 11:09:00 PM

Doesn't it make sense to just find the highest rpm fans and get a fan controller to lower them down to your needs?

That way you will have a wider range of speeds you can set to..

Or is this totally not right?

More about : method buy case fans

May 17, 2003 12:55:48 PM

Well if you want access to high speed and you have the voltage controller that can handle the power of the fan then yes. But keep in mind that most fans don't work under 5V... so you wont be able to decrease the fan speed to very low levels with only a voltage controller.

My CPU fan spins so fast that it creates a wormhole :eek: 
May 18, 2003 6:30:37 AM

Oh so if most fans don't work under 5V then you'd be better off buying quiet fans seperately?
Related resources
May 18, 2003 1:42:54 PM

Well that depends on what you exactly want.

A high speed fan has a limit to which it can be slowed down... if you want to be able to get under that limit you need to buy a slower fan.

My CPU fan spins so fast that it creates a wormhole :eek: 
May 20, 2003 6:53:08 AM

Oh okays then I get it. Guess I'll stick to buying quiet Panaflo's. They suit my needs.
Thanks.
May 28, 2003 6:19:19 AM

yes. 2000rpm panaflo's are damn close to silent, and still move decent amounts of air.

Bear in mind though that air has to be able to get in and out easily. What you want is LOW RESTRICTION.

Think of a car engine. Low restriction intake and exhaust means more power or better efficiency.

<b>My PC is so powerful it developed AI and enslaved me in a make believe virtual world... called Freelancer</b> :lol: 
<A HREF="http://www.picturetrail.com/master_poobaa" target="_new">PooBaa's Pics!</A>
May 30, 2003 12:02:54 AM

LOW RESTRICTION? How bout fans with stators? Don't they cause air restriction and can possibly add noise?
May 30, 2003 12:19:25 AM

Fans with stators are really a different subject, more geared towards cpu cooling as the purpose of the stators is to correct the spiral airflow and make the airflow "focused" or straight. Useful with a small heatsink, but of no practical use for a casefan.

I used the words low restriction to talk about the ability of air to easily enter and exit the case... so lots of big holes not restricted with poor grill designs, fancy but useless front bedsels or thick dust filters.

<b>My PC is so powerful it developed AI and enslaved me in a make believe virtual world... called Freelancer</b> :lol: 
<A HREF="http://www.picturetrail.com/master_poobaa" target="_new">PooBaa's Pics!</A>
May 30, 2003 5:43:37 AM

Right but wouldn't fans with stators still have some sort of air resistance? Would it make sense for those with large heatsinks like a Swiftech MCX-4000 or Thermalright SLK-900 do better without stators on a fan? or would they do better with stators on a fan?
May 30, 2003 7:47:58 AM

Probably some yes, definately contributes more noise.
Gotta remember though that the stators act as the support frame too, so u dont have the frame above the fan, so incomming air is less impeeded.
Besides the fans are much more powerful anyway, and the air goes down more rather than spiralling outwards.

<b>My PC is so powerful it it makes a 286-16 look slow!</b> :lol: 
June 8, 2003 9:34:46 PM

Alright thanks for the info!
Eh here is a dumb question but maybe I'm just being fooled.
I'm looking at buying a few 80mm fan grills. However, when I looked at two sites, one site offered 80mm CHROME fan grills and the other has just 80mm fan grills. Is there any difference? Because one costs $0.99 while the other is $2.50.
Thanks again.
June 9, 2003 12:44:52 AM

Well i doubt there i smuch difference.
Certainly ZERO airflow effect.
Standard ones are usually just stainless steel, so are pretty shiney anyway.
Proly just a way to seperate you from your money.

<font color=blue>Many modern games <b>must</b> be played multiplayer. And those you encounter online are, almost as a rule, <b>complete and utter cockmongers.</b></font color=blue> :frown:
!