opinion: What's the best socket A heatsink?

PhoenixKnights

Distinguished
May 16, 2003
Ok everyone I'd like to get opinions here of what the best heatsink is. I'm not talking about heatsink/fan combo fans, I'm asking if we used the exact same fan on all the heatsinks which heatsink would keep a cpu the coolest? And this does not include any type of N2 or anything, just air cooling heatsinks, from just the heatsink point of view.

PhoenixKnights

Distinguished
May 16, 2003
so pure copper better than copper and aluminum hybrid type thing that alpha and stuff does? or is it just slk's giant shape and fins? Oh and while I'm here take a look at this link:
http://www.hardcorecooling.us/product.asp?0=207&1=257&3=355
would that thing keep down noise or help with cooling or is it just total bs?
By the way should I be worried getting that thermoright? with being pure and kinda heavy copper with it falling off or otherwise hurting motherboard?

butthead007

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2003
if u install it correctly there is no need to worry. but i would reccomend if u r planning on moving ur computer around allot, lan partys etc. either take the SLK800U or the SLK900U. both of them u have to mount on ur motherboard with 4 screws, therefor its less likely to come off and/or make damage to ur motherboard than the SLK800 which uses a clip to mount the sink. i would also check if these heatsinks will fit your motherboard since they are pretty big and need 4 screwholes around the socket.

PhoenixKnights

Distinguished
May 16, 2003
yes I did notice their exsessive size that's why I was worried about them. would either of those fit good upon a Abit NF7? And how much of a difference in cooling capability is there between the 800 and 900?

PhoenixKnights

Distinguished
May 16, 2003
By the way did you check the link above by Any chance? I still wonder if that product (the plastic duct) would cut down on noise or help with cooling at all

svol

Champion
We had a discussion about that duct some months ago... I think our conclusion was that it was a joke and will be a waste of money.

My CPU fan spins so fast that it creates a wormhole :eek: