keke

Distinguished
May 17, 2003
I've been thinking of getting either 1700+, 2100+ or 2400+ Athlon XP and overclock the FSB to 166 (333) MHz. For 2400+ I might have to lower the multiplier but for others I might even be able to put a higher multiplier than the default. I won't be buying any expensive cooling equipment probably just some low noise fan solution.

Can these processors take the 166 MHz FSB and which one would you recommend to get if I want the best bang for my buck (considering the overclockability)?

CompSci

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2001
I've got a 1700+ Tbred-B and PC2700 memory on an A7N8x (Std/nonDlx), and ...
The first time, right outa the box, on initial fire up the mobo detected the memory at 166 and it came up that way! 166mhz/333FSB - and never looked back...Its then pretty easy to tune the bios settings to a multiplier of 12*166 for (1992mhz!!!), preformance/syncronous memory with aggressive timings and have a smooth, stable and sweet runnin little 1700+ tbred-B. The best $46 cpu I've ever had! Smooth and smokin since january that way... ( and it will go faster, but why mess with a good thing! It's a allaround zippy little buttkicker... It'll be a long time before anyone call's this box slow...)
There may be faster, but it sure aint slow!

keke

Distinguished
May 17, 2003
ok, nice..
But you're telling me you overclocked it right away without even checking if the cpu was working with default settings? :)
With as bad luck as I have you might just burn up your cpu and never know if it was broken before you got it or did it break when you overclocked it :)

Did you buy a boxed version or do you have some other fan on your cpu?

svol

Champion
Well if they all have a T-bredB core with decent stepping then 166 MHz FSB is no problem.

If you can get your hands on a good OC'able core stepping XP1700+ with T-bredB core then it will be the best bang for buck.

My CPU fan spins so fast that it creates a wormhole :eek: <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by svol on 05/18/03 03:28 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

CompSci

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2001
I ordered it from NewEgg... along with mobo,memory and HSF, mid Jan, after readin reviews that most were recieving TbredB cores and highly OCable...
Asus A7N8x (Std/NonDlx)
XP 1700+ oem
CoolerMaster 6I31c (just 1 step up - and it whistles)
2-512MB DDR PC2700 Kingston
I didn't intentionallly OC on initial startup - It just did it by default!!!
I assembled all carefully, powered up, it came up requesting to the hit set up option the very first time, and I selected take default settings - and the mobo just automaticly selected the FSB speed of the memory!!! This may be a characteristic of the ASUS A7n8x mobo - to select the default FSB speed and memory timings of the installed memory over the FSB of the CPU...
Anyway I'm not objecting! Runs 39C with case off, 42-44C all closed up and workin... and has basicly been Rock solid since, and more than acceptable++ as a software/database development box...
(plus runs games, cameras, vidio and everything else its ask to do)
SiSandra mem bandwidth of 2695 and it sure does smoke big SqlServerDatabases, and takes a production BigDog Rambus box to beat it runnin databases!
I can bump the FSB up in the hi 180's,like 188, and Sandra Mem >3100 but mem execptions start occuring... so 12*166 is just too smooth allaround to mess with
Strong little box, I'm happy...

RCPilot

Champion
Hey that's great Man. It's always nice to build something your happy with. That's what it's all about. Have fun.

Honey, what's that smell? Don't bother me now I'm working on my computer! OOPS!

bdaley

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Hey dude, are you sure the FSB is at 166/333, and not just the MEMORY? The FSB can run at 133/266 and the memory at 166/333.

If you have pc2700 the MOBO will set the memory speed to 333 automatically, but as far as I know it WILL NOT set the FSB to 333 automatically. Why would it, since memory and FSB can run asyncronously, and having PC 2700 (333) memory doesn't necessarily mean the processor can handle 333 FSB?

If it did do that automatically for you, then that's cool.

"I'm a man armed with a fork in a land of soup."

endyen

Splendid
I have the xp2400+. I have not tried to push it too far as I only have the stock fan and 166 mhz samsung ram (2X256 bought 6 months apart no less and it does the dual thing fine)It is set at 166 by 13 and shows as an xp2700+ I am sure that if I do push a bit it will outperform the new intels but no point until someone I know is dumb enough to waste that kind of bucks. By the way, the default FSB was 166 with sincronous ram. I think that the B chips do not identify thier FSB.
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by endyen on 05/23/03 10:46 PM.</EM></FONT></P>