Best radiator?

LCARS

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2002
I've heard that a car's heatercore can make a supreme computer radiator. With summer coming, I want to keep my cpu temp at around room temp. In the summer, room temp will probably be +90*F on some days.

Could somebody tell me the Make/model/year car that could hold the mightiest computer radiator?

My current radiator is the Maxxpert 120mm thinger, which keeps my cpu, vga, and northbridge chips at around 15*F above room temp.

svol

Champion
That is one hard to answer question (and I don't think anyone here can answer that question exactly).

But generaly you want to look for a big radiator (but not too big that it becomes unhandable) with a lot of fins and passes through... preferably copper.

My CPU fan spins so fast that it creates a wormhole :eek:

LCARS

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2002
I found an interesting page overclockers.com, it has a list of good heatercores. I'm going to go down to the pepboys today and ask the pizza-faced intellectual deviants to hook me up.

I'm gonna shoot for the General Motors 2-199 core for a Cadillac Eldorado 1978-1971.

Here's the list: <A HREF="http://www.overclockers.com/tips1031/" target="_new">http://www.overclockers.com/tips1031/</A>

LCARS

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2002
K, I got the Eldorado heatercore. It's perfect because it's exactly 2 120mm fans long, so making a fan shroud was very easy.

LCARS

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2002
I installed it today. It works great, the CPU stays at around 5*F above ambient room temp. Which is a big improvment over the Maxxpert.

Now all I have to do is get a peltier device. As soon as I can figure out the little bastards. ;)

LCARS

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2002
How do you install a Peltier? It looks to me like a flimsy sheet of sandwiched metal and wires. Do you just stick it under the waterblock and supply the required amount of energy?

svol

Champion
Well you often place it between a cold plate (thick (5 mm) copper plate) and the waterblock so it doesn't make direct contact with the CPU, often you use some screws to mount the copper plate to the waterblock. And then you isolate everything around/under and in the socket.

My CPU fan spins so fast that it creates a wormhole :eek:

traviss187

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2003
anyone know of a radiator available in the US that will fit 2 80mm fans side by side, withought being too much larger then the fans, a heatercore that fits these specs would be perfect but havn't been able to find one, thanks alot

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
"Lytron" makes the best.

You will find them on ebay.com for cheap.

Chances are you will see a "MCS" modular cooling system for super cheap.

<b>"Granted I dont own a P4. But I read enough stuff and waste enough time on forums newsgroups IRC and computer news sites that I proberly know more then if I DID own a P4." -vk2amv</b>