Hitman Absolution(and other games) Lag

Last response: in Video Games
November 29, 2012 1:39:38 AM

My specs are:

Nvidia GeForce GT 550 M(2GBs) and Intel HD Graphics 3000
Intel Core i7-2670QM @ 2.2 GHz
8 Gb RAM
Windows 8 Pro 64 bit

So my computer should easily be able to run Hitman on lowest. In fact, it could, but after changing some things, installing some things, and updating/removing drivers, it barely plays at 10 FPS. I tried a system restore, and it was still bad. I have tried the latest drivers and the latest beta drivers to no avail. As proof that something is very wrong, my intel integrated graphics is playing Hitman at 15FPS. The same time I found out Hitman was messed up, GTA 4 stopped working(It won't go past the start screens), and other games are lagging as well(such as Overgrowth). I have no idea what is wrong.
November 29, 2012 3:23:20 AM

A lot of these games are NOT YET compatible with windows 8. Your processor, graphics card and RAM are fine, and should support all those games in low settings and some in medium. It's because of windows 8. :) 
November 29, 2012 11:33:52 AM

Labrynthian said:
A lot of these games are NOT YET compatible with windows 8. Your processor, graphics card and RAM are fine, and should support all those games in low settings and some in medium. It's because of windows 8. :) 

Before installing, uninstalling, and messing with drivers, I was running on windows 8 and they all worked fine. GTA 4 actually performed better than on windows 7. I was having freezing issues because of some realtek drivers, so I removed those, and I was having mouse issues, so I updated those drivers. I also installed Classic Shell and Microsoft Office 2013. Since then I have been having these problems. Unfortunately, it is not quite that simple, or I would just go back to windows 7. Just as a note, sometimes, back on windows 7, GTA 4 would start lagging(even on the lowest settings), but after a few days I would try again, and it would be fine. It seemed to be completely random. Thanks for the reply though.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
November 29, 2012 11:46:05 PM

Update: It's back to normal, ~40 FPS, however, I still want to know whats wrong. Like I said, before GTA 4 broke(it's still broken, but that's ok), it would (seemingly) randomly lag a lot, and restarting the computer wouldn't help at all, however, after a while when I would try again, it would run fine. It seems Hitman is doing the same thing(Also Overgrowth), so it must be something to do with my Nvidia Card(the integrated card would run normally during these periods). Is there something wrong with my computer? What additional information should I provide? Thanks for any help!
February 13, 2013 11:57:38 PM

I would check out the temp of your gpu and cpu by running it through a stress test and see if it is getting too hot. A lot of the times you can spend hundreds of dollars on a laptop or even desktop and they stick the cheap thermal paste on the gpu and cpu. Some even offer to charge you $25.00 more for an example to add the better arctic silver thermal paste. I think this is pretty sad that you could spend upwards of a thousand dollars on a laptop and they cheap out on you like that. I would add better thermal paste to the nvidia gpu and the cpu and see how the game runs then. Still check out your temps before you do anything just to have an idea what they are before you add the better thermal paste.
!