Risks about overclocking...

KalletheMan

Distinguished
May 18, 2003
I want to run test om my machines, just like the guys at Tomshardware does. But I need to know some things, or this could be very expensive:
- When I try to run memory at an agressive settings, can it be hurt? Will the situation be like this: "it works, or it doesn't works"(and thats it)?
- Could the CPU be hurt, if I will run on higher Volt? Is this the only way of overclocking? On my RAMBUS system I got P4 1,5Ghz, but I got options like 1800Mhz, is this a "overclocking" option?
- Will anything else be hurt, on my system?
- Will it be better with higher AGP Mhz? I know it is like 66Mhz on AGP now, and 33Mhz on PCI, will more Mhz makes data flow faster?
- Is there some special options I should look after, when I am buying a Motherboard, for overclocking?

Thanks a lot guys/girls. I really appreciate your help!
(I am sorry about my English, but I am working on it)

FO_SHO

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2003
If your memory has too much voltage, or too high of an OC, it won't boot and it should just FAIL. Turn it down and I don't think there will be any permanent damage. Run memtest 86 to see if it'll be stable or not.

For OCing the CPU, I have a 300 that's OCed to 450 stable. It's trial and error, and just watch your CPU temps. Voltage increase = temp increase, so just be careful. with adequate cooling, you're fine. If it's just a one time thing, I don't think you can permanently damage anything.

don't know anything bout the PCI freq.

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
raising agp frequency will not help much if anything it could screw up your graphics card or other pci components (that are using the same clock as the agp).

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
Running your mem at aggressive settings doesn't hurt, but it may not function properly giving you lots of nice crashes. MEMTEST86 is invaluable for this.
Supplying extra voltage can help, though i dont suggest anything more than 2.8v on a regular basis. Ram CAN burnout if too much voltage is applied for long periods with hot ram.

Ditto with the CPU. Cooling is very important, and dont push the voltage too high.
I damaged the L2 cache on my old Tbird when i attempted to run it at 2.05v.

Faster PCI/AGP bus speeds can improve certain benchmarks, but its more trouble than its worth. Many PCI/AGP components dont like elivated bus speeds and can cauze crashes or fail in extreme situations.

Finally. Do a search in the motherboards forum... find out what lots of people use to overclock. A good overclocked system starts with a good motherboard.

<b>Melb_angel = THGC's <i>INNOCENT</i> Angel</b> :smile:
<A HREF="http://www.picturetrail.com/master_poobaa" target="_new">PooBaa's Pics!</A>

stealth_blade

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2003
most PCI devices stop working if the PCI bus is +/- 3-5mhz off, the AGP bus can work at more agressive timings, as much as 80mhz, but the performance gains are minimal, and this is a great way to introduce instability too your system

"Going to war without France is like going hunting without an accordion."
- Gen. (Ret) Norman Schwartzkopf

KalletheMan

Distinguished
May 18, 2003
Where can I get this program which test the memory?

So if I for example set my memory which is 3-4-4-8, to 2-2-2-5, then I will not hurt my memory, I can only get a system, which will not run propartly?

svol

Champion
No it wont damage your memory... it can only make your system (very) unstable.

You can download memtest86 here: <A HREF="http://www.memtest86.com" target="_new">http://www.memtest86.com</A>

My CPU fan spins so fast that it creates a wormhole :eek: