Closed Solved

Dimension 4300 Drivers

Just upgraded my neighbors computer from 2000 to 7, using Vista in between because 7 cant upgrade from such an old operating system.
I digress, my real problem is that I cant find any suitable internet driver for this old computer that isn't just for xp. I would like to finish my upgrades on this computer, but I can not do so because I lack the Ethernet driver for the computer.

Bottom line: I need an internet driver for a Dell Dimension 4300 running Windows 7.

Any and all help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Jyontef
9 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about dimension 4300 drivers
  1. Are you looking for an ethernet driver, modem driver, or a wireless driver?

i.e. what are you using to connect to the internet?

Edit- sorry... read the full post. Ethernet it is! Looking for an answer...
  2. Without knowing the exact chipset you are using on your NIC, it is difficult to find a driver. A few google searches hinted that your 4300 uses an NIC with a 3Com chipset.

According to this thread, a 3Com driver downloaded from this site was able to get their 3Com network ethernet card working under Vista. If it works in Vista, it should work in Win7.

Otherwise, you could buy a more modern $10 NIC and install it in your neighbor's computer and solve the problem that way.
  3. rwpritchett said:
    Without knowing the exact chipset you are using on your NIC, it is difficult to find a driver. A few google searches hinted that your 4300 uses an NIC with a 3Com chipset.

According to this thread, a 3Com driver downloaded from this site was able to get their 3Com network ethernet card working under Vista. If it works in Vista, it should work in Win7.

Otherwise, you could buy a more modern $10 NIC and install it in your neighbor's computer and solve the problem that way.

Actually, I'm not sure why i said Ethernet, I'm looking for modem.
  4. OK, a modem then.

We still need a model number or chipset number from the modem to locate a driver. Dell put several different modems into the 4300's.

Again, if you wish to purchase a newer modem that is supported by Win7... they're cheap.
  5. Thanks, I appreciate the help. I'll prob just end up ordering a new modem, but I'll still get the model number in a few hours for you.
  6. rwpritchett said:
    OK, a modem then.

We still need a model number or chipset number from the modem to locate a driver. Dell put several different modems into the 4300's.

Again, if you wish to purchase a newer modem that is supported by Win7... they're cheap.

Here's the only number printed on the modem: MX01f484645341B(or 8)R00R0

Dust was caked on, so I was lucky to find anything at all.
  7. Best answer
    That number isn't getting any hits on google. I say just drop the $11 for a Windows 7 compatible modem at newegg.

Rosewill RNX-56AG Agere 56Kbps PCI Bus (Plug & Play) Internal V.92 PCI Date/Fax/TAM modem- Windows7 Ready $7.99 + $2.99 S&H
  8. Best answer selected by jyontef.
  9. This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Ask a new question

Read More

Drivers Windows Vista Computers Dimension Internet Windows 7 Product