Need some opinions

kenycando

Distinguished
May 19, 2003
I just recently built a rig for my bro. The only thing that is budget is the CPU. Its a 2200+ t-bred on an A7N8X DX rev 1.04, 2 x 256 corsair XMS3200 in dual channel hopefully (got one in the black and one in the blue)Volcano 7+ etc.. I wasnt sure if the lame 266 fsb would go all that high, but after flashing the bios to 1003, I was able to lower the multiplier and give this sucker some fsb.
After taking the multiplier down to 11x, I got the fsb to 177 rock solid stable. (354 in sync dosent seem so bad from 266)Its been a month with no problems at all. I'm ready to take it up another notch. I was wondering what other people are getting with the 2200+.

Mr.Goodtimes

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
Oh is that all? :)

Really depends what XP2200+ a person has.
If its a tbredA then it will barely do 200Mhz above stock.
If its a tbredB, and 99% are now, then it should do anything from 2000 to 2500Mhz, depending on batch code and cooling method.
If you are lowering the multiplier then the Max FSB is dependent on your motherboard and RAM, not the CPU.

<b>Melb_angel = THGC's <i>INNOCENT</i> Angel</b> :smile:
<A HREF="http://www.picturetrail.com/master_poobaa" target="_new">PooBaa's Pics!</A>

kenycando

Distinguished
May 19, 2003
I think its a t-bred B version, I'm not sure, I'll have to check,Its only a month old, so I'm assuming that is is. Do you think I can take the fsb to 200 if I lower the multiplier some more? or am I limited because the native fsb is 133. ( the mobo is an a7n8x-DX rev 1.04 with the latest bios 1004 and two sticks of corsair twinX-1024-3200llpt) p.s. I got it 180 right now and it still runs great.

Mr.Goodtimes

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
sure it should be possible. Just ensure the multiplier is kept appropriately low and increase the FSB.

Of course if the memory is running in synch you should, at least initially, run the memory on lax timings untill you are sure that the motherboard CAN do 200 fsb or whatever stable.

Once you know this, you can make the memory timings harder to get optimal performance and
start overclocking the CPU.

10x200 should be quite possible IMO, if not more.

<b>My PC is so powerful it developed AI and enslaved me in a make believe virtual world... called Freelancer</b> :lol:
<A HREF="http://www.picturetrail.com/master_poobaa" target="_new">PooBaa's Pics!</A>

kenycando

Distinguished
May 19, 2003
Yeah Its in sync, and right now I got the ram set at 5-2-2-2T. It is a T-bred B ....The post says its @ 1993mhz, though I'm more interested in a fat ass fsb than I am about pure clock speed. I'll slow down the timings a little, maybe 7-2-2-2, lower the multiplier to 10X and try for 200. I got a heavily modified Lian-Li aluminum case with an equal amount of fans blowing in and out plus one of them is in the glass blowing on both the ram and the northbridge heat sink.(by the way,I want to throw a copper HSF on the northbrige but the old one seems like its really stuck on there. How do I get that off without damaging the chip?) The cpu has a volcano 7+ So I guess its alright to turn up the voltage a little more too. right now its at 1.72 for the cpu and 2.7 for the ram. Prime95 has been running on it for a while now and everthing seems to be ok so far. memtest86 ran ok too.

Mr.Goodtimes