Got a weird Problem..

Mnx4

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2001
Hey. In the past, i've had virtually no trouble with ocing my video card and my processor but now, i'm getting really weird problems, specifically with Warcraft 3. My rig is a Athlon 1900+ oc'ed to 1826 Mhz, leadtek gf4 ti4400 oc'ed to 300/610, 256 megs of pc2700 ocz ram, epox 8k3a+ and my voltages are 2.1 for the processor and and 2.8 for the ram. When i start up Warcraft 3 (cracked 1.0 version) it's fine, but the second i get into a really heated battle, the screen goes blank and my computer restarts. I've also tried playing other games like Day of Defeat and that too will crash after a while. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Mnx4

Save the trees.. wipe your ass with an owl.

Codinerx

Distinguished
May 24, 2002
I have a setup pretty close to yours, and I was also having problems with video in Warcraft 3, as well as in counterstrike etc... I have come to the conclusion that my problem is heat related- I discovered that the clutter of IDE cables within my case was creating a sort of hot pocket around my video card. This would cause my video to "skip" and lose frames after a few minutes of play, and eventually to lock up. After cleaning up the clutter within my case, I have not had any problems, and the circulation or air within my case is much better. I would suggest checking this out as a possible cause of your problem, especially since you are overclocking. Best of luck!

Mnx4

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2001
Actually, i'm watercooling the cpu...so would that still be heat buildup?

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Try to isolate the problem.

First make sure your voltages are OK under load. Motherboard Monitor 5 can log voltage changes with time. (I'm sure some other monitoring software can do this just not sure which ones). Set MBM5 to log mode and run your games. After your system crashes reboot and review the log to see if voltages changed varied during the test.

If your voltages remained stable then test your system with NOTHING OVERCLOCKED. Do you still have problems in this configuration?

If your system is now stable then you know that your problems are due to overclocking. Now it's simply just matter of determining what is causing the problem.

Run your video card stock and your CPU overclocked but with memory at say 80%. Next try, the video card overclocked but the CPU at stock. Thirdly, try both the video card and CPU stock speeds but use a lower multiplier and higher bus speed to keep the CPU stock but with the bus overclocked. If necessary, you can also run everything at stock except the memory which I think you can run at above 100% on your mobo.

Oh I almost forgot, you can usually determine, pretty quickly, if heat is an issue. With your system in the configuration you mentioned open the case and use a room fan to blow extra air into it. If the stability problem goes away then heat was the cause. This test doesn't always work but it is worth a try. I'd probably try this test right after the voltage tests.

<b>56K, slow and steady does not win the race on internet!</b>

svol

Champion
Well with water that changes the story... overheating is less likely then.

As phsstpok suggested check voltages and stuff... it might be that your PSU isn't powerfull enough.

My CPU fan spins so fast that it creates a wormhole :eek:

marneus

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
it is heat, I get the same problem with my R9700pro espesh in games if I put the side back on...
even with another 80mm fan I bought that blows air across the R9700pro I have decided to get a better case with better airflow...

Hmmm, wonder if I can get a valid page fault ???
these invalid ones are far too commonplace...

Mnx4

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2001
sorry i haven't answered in a while.. i've been making my bro a comp which has been [-peep-] up by many a technician.. but that's another story...
Anywho, i'll try that voltage thing and see if it works.. I don't doubt it could be heat, but i'm assuming that it's heat on my video card and not my processor thats causing the prob.. or is it?(dum dum dum!) I have like 6 fans or so 39 cfm fans in my system plus two 120's on my radiator (which has kept my cpu heat at a pleasant 36-37 degrees celsius on full load as opposed to the old 42-43 celsius). I will try the voltage troubleshoot but i have one quick question; should i replace the thermal paste on my vid card with arctic silver or will that not really help the problem? Thanks

TRENDING THREADS