SLK800U, or Swiftech462+?

Beck192

Distinguished
May 4, 2003
It's about time to upgrade my stock AMD cooler, and I just wanted to know which one people thought was better. Seems like most people like the SLK800, but the Swiftech heatsink seems nice too, and about the same price at Newegg. Which one is ultimately better for cooling?

I don't tend to overclock, i just want something that cools extremely well and QUIETLY:) I was going to hook either up with a spare 80mm stealth fan that I have laying around, but seems like some panaflos might push more air at a similar noise level. If so can somebody please point me to some links where I could buy some good 80mm and 92mm panaflo fans(I know people have particular favorites, but it's hard for me to tell which ones are loud from here...), and which ones are your favorites. Thanks!

FO_SHO

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2003
www.newegg.com

I have heard that people *say* that with a low CFM fan, the alum + copper will cool better than all copper.

If you're not gonna OC then I think you're wasting your HSF. OVERCLOCK IT NOW!!! J/K

Have you tried Zalman heatsinks?? Go to their website, and they have quiet HSF.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by fo_sho on 05/20/03 12:36 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

svol

Champion
The Thermalright SLK-800U should be better, although the difference isn't big.

But if you want something quiet there are cheaper solutions then going for an high end HSF.

My CPU fan spins so fast that it creates a wormhole :eek:

Beck192

Distinguished
May 4, 2003
Yeah, I've heard about Zalman "flower" style coolers. Is that what you're talking about. I don't really know much about them, the only reason I was considering the SLK800 and the 462+ is that they seem to be able to get your chip really cool with a low rpm fan. I'm sick of the vacuum cleaner like sound emitting from my case:)

Oh. And I want to get a decent heatsink so that that if I ever chose to I could use it on my next processor...no matter how hot it gets:)<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by beck192 on 05/20/03 01:20 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
Those coolers are overkill for stock cooling.

I suggest you get a spire falconrock2.
Its cheap and still very good. plus its damn quiet.

<b>My PC is so powerful it developed AI and enslaved me in a make believe virtual world... called Freelancer</b> :lol:
<A HREF="http://www.picturetrail.com/master_poobaa" target="_new">PooBaa's Pics!</A>