Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Windows keeps freezing at random times

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 7
October 29, 2010 11:31:55 PM

hi ive bin having trouble with my computer lately it just keep crashing for no reason eg when im playing music randomly freez when im playing games and ive checked in the event log and this is what ive found

The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:
AsIO
AsUpIO
FileDisk
speedfan

\SystemRoot\SysWow64\Drivers\FileDisk.SYS has been blocked from loading due to incompatibility with this system. Please contact your software vendor for a compatible version of the driver.

The file system structure on the disk is corrupt and unusable. Please run the chkdsk utility on the volume \Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy2

i ran chkdsk CMD and it found errors but couldnt repair them i can post logs and stuff if needed? just want to know whats making my comp freeze :( 
a b $ Windows 7
October 30, 2010 3:42:52 AM

If you didn't already, make sure to run the command as chkdsk /r.

If speedfan is causing a problem, you can uninstall and reinstall the program. If it's failing on startup, you can stop it from starting with windows.

Score
October 30, 2010 6:36:07 AM

You may have a corrupt sector on your HD. When your computer tries to read/write into one of those sectors it crashes if the system doesn't flag the sector and have the HD remapped around the bad sector. So, it seems as if that could be the issue; your HD lacking the capability to correctly identify, flag and remap.
Score
Related resources
October 30, 2010 10:59:37 AM

thanks for the reps, going to run the other chkdsk /r

and is there anyway to fix the corrupt sectors? or am i goin to have to reformat
Score
a b $ Windows 7
October 30, 2010 11:09:51 AM

A chkdsk /r will scan for damaged hard drive sectors, and try to repair them.
Score

Best solution

October 30, 2010 5:58:06 PM

aford10 said:
A chkdsk /r will scan for damaged hard drive sectors, and try to repair them.

That's actually the last thing that he wants to do is that. 9 times of out 10 when there's an issue with a cluster/sector the computer will automatically trigger the scanning utility (Scandisk, Chkdsk, Fsck) but you need to prevent the computer from doing so. This is because the computer assumes that the error is file system related. This scan DOES NOT allow the repairing of non-file system errors (which is the actual issue more than not). Because of this, files that would have been easily recoverable (with the proper software), now if recovered, will probably be either fragmented, damaged, or unable to be recovered completely.

Your best course of action from this moment forward is to backup all of your files onto some other device, go to the store, buy a new HDD and swap the data. When bad clusters/sectors begin to arise, that strongly indicates that the HDD may be on its last leg. Depending on what you have saved on the HDD, I'm pretty sure either way that you'd rather spend $50 and get a new drive now and still have your files rather than losing everything and THEN having to pay $50 anyway.

Good luck with the recovery and keep us posted.

Edit: I forgot to mention the software that you COULD use for file recovery. Spinrite. It's one of a kind and very, very reliable. I've used it on several occasions and have never been let down. Again, best of wishes.
October 30, 2010 6:34:37 PM

calmstateofmind said:
That's actually the last thing that he wants to do is that. 9 times of out 10 when there's an issue with a cluster/sector the computer will automatically trigger the scanning utility (Scandisk, Chkdsk, Fsck) but you need to prevent the computer from doing so. This is because the computer assumes that the error is file system related. This scan DOES NOT allow the repairing of non-file system errors (which is the actual issue more than not). Because of this, files that would have been easily recoverable (with the proper software), now if recovered, will probably be either fragmented, damaged, or unable to be recovered completely.

Your best course of action from this moment forward is to backup all of your files onto some other device, go to the store, buy a new HDD and swap the data. When bad clusters/sectors begin to arise, that strongly indicates that the HDD may be on its last leg. Depending on what you have saved on the HDD, I'm pretty sure either way that you'd rather spend $50 and get a new drive now and still have your files rather than losing everything and THEN having to pay $50 anyway.

Good luck with the recovery and keep us posted.

Edit: I forgot to mention the software that you COULD use for file recovery. Spinrite. It's one of a kind and very, very reliable. I've used it on several occasions and have never been let down. Again, best of wishes.

Thanks to all :)  getting new HD monday hopefully the crashing will be gone :) 
Score
October 30, 2010 6:51:29 PM

rzr09 said:
Thanks to all :)  getting new HD monday hopefully the crashing will be gone :) 

Anytime. :D 
Score
a b $ Windows 7
October 30, 2010 10:54:24 PM

Running a chkdsk will not cause the OP to lose any data. If there is a damaged disk sector, chances are, a recovery software isn't going to recover the data from that sector anyway.

Running a chkdsk can repair that sector, and make the data that resides there (if there is any) accessible.

If you want to use software for data recovery, I recommend using Recuva or Easeus.
http://www.piriform.com/recuva
http://www.easeus.com/
Score
November 1, 2010 10:51:33 PM

Best answer selected by rzr09.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
November 1, 2010 11:13:44 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!