Side Case Fans

Steven21

Distinguished
May 7, 2003
What do you guys think of Side case fans? My preivous case had 2 fans on the side, i never really though they did any good. A site that sells case's once claimed that they disrupt air flow and now they case's with side fans.

svol

Champion
Well I have one fan at the side blowing air in just between my CPU and memory. I think they're a great addition to case air flow as they can bring in cool air at the right spot.

My CPU fan spins so fast that it creates a wormhole :eek:

CompSci

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2001
Well, If ya keep your computer beside/against your desk, then
ya can only put the puter on one side( depending on which side the fan is on)!
But it would make it easy to duct AC into!
Wire a tstat inside the box and ya'd have AC'd putter...

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
Well it really depends more on how the case is setup... air in must equal air out.

my current black box has 2 front fans, 1 side, 2 rear and 1 top.
the front and side suck in, and the rear and top blow out.... nice front to back, bottom to top airflow.

and the sidefan is situated so that cool air is distributed directly onto the graphics card and cpu area.

<b>My PC is so powerful it developed AI and enslaved me in a make believe virtual world... called Freelancer</b> :lol:
<A HREF="http://www.picturetrail.com/master_poobaa" target="_new">PooBaa's Pics!</A>

Frylock

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2003
So let's say I buy an Antec PlusView1000AMG Case. (I really like this case.) This case comes standard with two rear fans, an optional side fan, and two optional front fans. Also the power supply that I will be using has both an intake and exhaust fan. (Intake on the bottom near where the CPU is usually located and exhaust through the rear.) So using this "air in = air out" theory, what would be the best way to do this? Should I have the two rear fans exhausting while the side and front fans intaking? That sounds about right considering the first posts, however I would just like to make sure before I put any money into this.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
yes
traditionally rear & top fans blow out, side and front suck in.
Usually balance the number, though if you have a well veltilated case like yours its possible to run with just fans blowing out. And loud fans are NOT necessary.

<font color=blue>Many modern games <b>must</b> be played multiplayer. And those you encounter online are, almost as a rule, <b>complete and utter cockmongers.</b></font color=blue> :frown: