Sign in with
Your question

water cooling without a radiator

Last response: in Overclocking
May 23, 2003 11:03:46 PM

I've been thinking about hooking up a few water blocks to my focet and letting the water just run into the sink, it would be colder and I could get some fast flow cheap. Except for the water bill... still the idea has merit don't you think?

Treat your body like a $600 car. God didn't intend it to last so use it. Run it into the ground!

More about : water cooling radiator

May 24, 2003 2:33:10 AM

Not only is it wasteful, the water contains minerals that will eventually coat the inside of your waterblocks.

Try running a long length of copper tubing a few feet underground. I've heard that works pretty well. That is how tap water gets so cool.
May 24, 2003 12:48:35 PM

Well if you want to waste money and the environment then it is possible... although you will get lots of corrosion.

Try the suggestion of placing copper tubes undergroud... should work very good.

My CPU fan spins so fast that it creates a wormhole :eek: 
Related resources
May 24, 2003 6:18:11 PM

for the price of the copper tubing and the work of running them underground I'd rather go out and buy a phase cooling setup.

Treat your body like a $600 car. God didn't intend it to last so use it. Run it into the ground!
May 24, 2003 9:14:42 PM

Hello everyone!
Does anybody know where I can order some copper to make a homemade waterblock? I've found several places on the web, but they all seem to have min. $ orders. I just want a chunk big enough to machine about three of them. I want to go fanless too! I'm making a coil to put in the ground here in Texas. I hate fans and would also like to experiment with some overclocking of my new 2.4B P4.

Nothing's worth learning until after you know it all!
May 25, 2003 6:33:34 PM

Have you tried searching your local Do-It-Yourselve shop for copper pipes?

My CPU fan spins so fast that it creates a wormhole :eek: 
May 25, 2003 11:18:02 PM

www.dangerden.com sells copper stock bar for like 5 dollars

<b><font color=red>Remember kids, if you see a downed power line, suck on the end, candy comes out!</font color=red></b>
May 26, 2003 5:27:26 PM

why not just get a 25 gallon tall container and fill it with distilled water, then putting one of those quiet aquarium pumps at the bottom to filter cool air into the water?

Instead of Rdram, why not just merge 4 Sdram channels...
May 26, 2003 6:50:13 PM

Well, pfft, might was well have a radiator then. That'd be a lot less bulky.
May 27, 2003 1:53:40 AM

Thanks JimmyDean! The comptroller(the wife)says I can place my order at the end of the week! I'm goin' back to the shop in the morning to put the underground coil together. What does everyone think... spring type coil, or loops? Gonna rent a post hole digger and go down about 4'... Don't want the water so cold that I have to worry about condensation!

May 27, 2003 4:05:55 AM

Cool! Be sure you protect the copper (if that's what your using) copper will eventually rust away underground if left unprotected. Coat the whole thing in a clear enamel or something.

Loops or coils I don't thing there'll be much of a difference, rock is a very poor conductor of heat so spread the tubing out as much as possible. The more tubing, the more spread out, the better.

I wouldn't worry about condensation. The very lowest the water temperature will get to is around 60-70*F (depending if you have an AMD or Intel).

Go as deep as you can. 4 to 8 feet should be optimal.

Good luck!
May 28, 2003 2:46:30 AM

Type-L(thicker walled pipe)Copper has a lifetime in the ground(under normal soil cond.)of about 45-55 years. That's longer than it's tolerance for having water run through itself! The friction & erosion of normal flow rates in residential piping systems has been known to wear holes in
the pipes in as few as 15 years when the pipes are installed with some forms of external damage, i.e. dents,
kinks and flat spots! The rounder and straighter the tubing,
the longer it's lifespan. As long as the soil in your area
is not extremely acidic, a coil of copper buried in clean soil(void of rocks, etc.)will last long past it's usfulness
for a project such as this. Trust me, there is no need to protect it in any way!

May 28, 2003 3:34:40 AM

I had no idea. I even have L-Type tubing running thoughout my computer. It's pretty awsome unless you have to bend it around tight corners. :smile:

In 55 years years, computers probably won't even need active cooling...they'll also be 70 feet tall, run on human blood, and have hearts as black as coal!!!
June 2, 2003 5:53:50 PM

You'll have to dig that hole to beneath the water table. Earth is a very good insulator. I know of someone who tried this with a PC running 24/7 and after a few hours his CPU temps started rising. The earth was insulating his pipes and causing the heat to spiral upwards. On his second attempt he put the coils beneath the water table and everything was fine. (Until he tried to move the PC).

--------------
Knowan likes you. Knowan is your friend.
!