Need Help Overclocking Asus A7N8X Deluxe.

Solidox2k

Distinguished
May 24, 2003
Sup. I'm new to these forums, and joined in hopes that some of you could help me with this problem.

I've been all over the net looking at people's results of overclocking this board. I've tried myself only to be dissapointed. It seems that most people can get the Ext.CPU Freq. up to 166mhz, but I can only get up to 140 before it stops POSTing. I've tried many configs (but not all). This is the system in short:

Asus A7N8X Deluxe mobo Rev 1.04
Athlon XP 2100+ CPU (Palomino)
OCsystems 256mb 400mhz DDR CL2.5/CAS2.5
GeForce4 MX440 128mb AGP vid card
TDK 48x CDR/RW
Maxtor 80gb hdd 7200rpm
Ever(?)brand PSU w/stickers for AMD/Intel approved.
All voltages at default or Auto.

I can get up to 140mhz with the ram Sync....but only like 136/135mhz with the ram at 100% or SPD. @100% it ram Freq. runs at 166mhz.
I want to know why I can't raise the FSB any higher than that. Any comments on this would be very helpful.

FO_SHO

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2003
Could it be cause you have a Polamino??? I don't know, but I know for a fact that a 2100 TbredB would definately do 166+ FSB.

Have you messed around with voltages yet??

Solidox2k

Distinguished
May 24, 2003
Well, I'm only saying Palomino because that's what Sisoftware's Sandra reports. Other than that I wouldn't know, since I've yet to look under the CPU myself (I got this as a mobo/cpu combo online last Oct.).

I'm not really too sure about the guidelines of tweaking the voltages, so no, I haven't messed with them yet.

svol

Champion
Well if it is an XP2100 Palomino that makes sense as they don't OC high. You can find out which core you have by using WCPUId and checking the model number... 6 is Palomino, 7 T-bredA and 8 T-bredB.

Try increasing the VCore a little... unless you're temps are already high.

My CPU fan spins so fast that it creates a wormhole :eek:

Solidox2k

Distinguished
May 24, 2003
Thanks, I'll look into that. I'm not really sure how hot my system is running..... mainly due to the BIOS and Asus's PC Probe program reporting different temps..... I looked in their FAQs and found a similar issue, but it was for a different mobo. I emailed them and got a reply.... which told me to call the US support numbers.... the email was somehow handled by the CSRs in Shanghai.... hmm...

svol

Champion
Rather trust the motherboard then Asus PC-Probe (also called Anal Probe), it is reported to display temps different in many cases. You'd better try MBM 5 to get more accurate readings.

My CPU fan spins so fast that it creates a wormhole :eek:

pitsi

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2003
After updating my BIOS to 1004 those problems were solved for me. Now the BIOS & Asus PC Probe report the same temperatures. I don't use either though. I use MBM5 instead, which also reports the same readings so I guess they are correct!