First time overclocking

gaviota

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2002
I have an Asus A7V333 rev. 1.01 and a Palomino XP2100+ with an Alpha PAL 8045 heatsink. I've never overclocked my PC because Palominos are locked, and they aren't good overclockers anyway, so I always thought that any improvements were probably not worth the hassle.

But now I want to upgrade my cpu to a faster one, and also to one that will allow easier overclocking, so I have a few questions:

1) Which AMD cpu would give me the best overclocking potential? I was planning to get an XP2400+ because I am assuming that this will give me good overclocking potential, but I'm not sure if a slower and cheaper cpu like an XP1700+ or XP2000+ with the same Thoroughbred core as the XP2400+ would allow me to overclock it just as fast as an XP2400+.

2) Are XP2400+ unlocked or will I have to modify it to unlock it?

BTW, I can't get a Barton because only rev. 2.x A7V333s are compatible with 333FSB, so I'm stuck with 266FSB cpus.

Thanks for your help.

svol

Champion
Get any CPU between XP1700-XP2100 with a T-bredB and JIUHB or AIUHB core stepping. Most of them get to atleast 2.2-3 GHz.

Everything up to XP2000+ is unlocked for the lower end multipliers (12.5x and lower)... the XP2100+ is unlocked for the higher end multipliers (13x and higher).

My CPU fan spins so fast that it creates a wormhole :eek:

TRENDING THREADS