What happened to SNMP support in Linksys products

Last response: in Networking
May 21, 2004 4:46:56 PM

I've used Link Logger for the last few years with a Linksys BEFSR4
router/firewall/switch and recently upgraded to a wireless device
WRT54G and was suprised that Link Logger stopped working. Link Logger
tech support said that Linksys dropped SNMP and syslog support. I
confirmed that with Linksys tech support. Now, I'm sure there's still
some products that have it, but it looks like the future is that it
won't be supported. I told Linksys that I'm returning the product for
something that supports logging. As you might expect they didn't seem
to care a whole lot. I can see that Cisco is already making
"improvements." Can anyone suggest a decent 4-port
switch/router/wireless-ap that works with Link Logger? Link Logger
tech support states that they support some Zyxel G wireless units, but
I'm not familiar with this brand.

Thanks.

--Dave
Anonymous
May 21, 2004 10:08:16 PM

On 21 May 2004 12:46:56 -0700, dhumes001@comcast.net (Dave Humes)
wrote:

>Link Logger
>tech support states that they support some Zyxel G wireless units, but
>I'm not familiar with this brand.

Zyxel makes Netgear.
Anonymous
May 22, 2004 1:51:10 PM

Dave Humes wrote:

(snipped)

> I've used Link Logger for the last few years with a Linksys BEFSR4
> router/firewall/switch and recently upgraded to a wireless device
> WRT54G and was suprised that Link Logger stopped working. Link Logger
> tech support said that Linksys dropped SNMP and syslog support.

This will certainly increase the value of older Linksys routers!

We use their BEFSR41 model and are very pleased. Thinking I should
dash over to Amazon or Ebay and buy another as a backup before
they vanish from the market. Using LinkLogger is a very valuable
asset which we make use of on a daily basis; catch a lot of
potential security problems reviewing those logs.

My suggestion, Dave, is to look around for older wireless Linksys
routers to discover if there is an older product which does support
syslog via LinkLogger.

I will also encourage you to visit the LinkLogger site. They have
a new LinkLogger version out which supports a wider range of
routers with syslog. Those folks over at LinkLogger also invite
you to contact them and ask for support for specific devices.
Chances are, if you switch to a brandname which supports syslog,
the techs at LinkLogger will be happy to write in support for you.

They will write a custom logger for you, if you ask.

LinkLogger provides a good amount of information on the new types
of routers they now support. You might find one in their list
which is to your liking.

Purl Gurl
May 22, 2004 2:04:55 PM

Purl Gurl wrote:

> Dave Humes wrote:

(snipped)

> > I've used Link Logger for the last few years with a Linksys BEFSR4
> > router/firewall/switch and recently upgraded to a wireless device
> > WRT54G and was suprised that Link Logger stopped working.

Another thought for you, Dave, although this adds some complexity.

You could or maybe could assign your wireless device a LAN address
and plug it into a spare port on your current Linksys router. I am
not sure on this, but I think you could use your current router
address as a gateway and use the same netmask and DNS servers in
your new wireless device.

Linksys offers an inexpensive hub/switch which allows you to add
more ports if needed. Tiny device and works well. Use of hardware
configurations like this, is very common.

Your syslog file would still show transactions for all addresses
but you can parse those logs for a specific address, easily, using
your LinkLogger software. This would allow you to look at logs
only for your wireless device.

Maybe?

Purl Gurl
Anonymous
May 22, 2004 7:59:19 PM

Not true actually. I am a Zyxel reseller, and I can tell you that
Zyxel has not manufactured a Netgear unit for quite a while.

Zyxel made the RT311 and RT314, but stopped making
equipment for Netgear quite a while ago. If you liked the stability
and features of those old units, you'll love the current Zyxel
lineup.

Brad K.

On Fri, 21 May 2004 18:08:16 -0700, "Steevo@my-deja.com"
<steevo@my-deja.com> wrote:

>On 21 May 2004 12:46:56 -0700, dhumes001@comcast.net (Dave Humes)
>wrote:
>
>>Link Logger
>>tech support states that they support some Zyxel G wireless units, but
>>I'm not familiar with this brand.
>
>Zyxel makes Netgear.

Anonymous
May 23, 2004 2:51:47 PM

On Sat, 22 May 2004 15:59:19 GMT, Brad K. <not@ofthisworld.com> wrote:

>Not true actually. I am a Zyxel reseller, and I can tell you that
>Zyxel has not manufactured a Netgear unit for quite a while.

Maybe, but I was at the front counter at Zyxel last month, and the
person there mentioned them and Netgear. So dunno what to think
about that.
!