Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Crysis 2: PC and Consoles Compared in MP Demo

Tags:
Last response: in News comments
March 24, 2011 11:15:34 AM

"the consoles have kept up really well"

I tend to think that games have been downgraded to run well on consoles, not that they have kept up well.
Score
March 24, 2011 11:23:24 AM

Kept up? You mean holding PC back? There's no graphical improvement over the first Crysis so what the hell? Same graphics....different setting....Everything else about the game(from the main menu to the linear levels in the SP) reeks of console..

Boy.....Crytek sure sold out PC gamers big time.
Score
Related resources
March 24, 2011 11:36:00 AM

Its all about the botom line. $$
Score
Anonymous
March 24, 2011 11:36:02 AM

It's like the Radeon x1k series vs Geforce 7 series all over again... we all know who won that battle. Xenos ~ modified x1800 vs RSX ~ Modified 7800 GTX
Score
March 24, 2011 11:58:53 AM

Stop all the hate. They created an engine that looks similar to the first, but runs %200 smoother. Jesus... people need to appreciate video games more and stop with all the drama, your like a bunch of 7th grade girls.
Score
March 24, 2011 12:05:02 PM

seriously, it is not the console able to kept up instead the consoles are holding down crysis 2 to shine in pc.
Score
March 24, 2011 12:09:51 PM

Honestly graphic quality doesnt make the game, its the gameplay...

see hollywood movies, all the special effects in the world cant make a movie like Battle LA a good movie
Score
March 24, 2011 12:13:28 PM

I agree with wfrantz. This games looks better than most other games on the market and it is a fun game. Why are all the panzies here always complaining about graphics. Id gladly take some old Final Fantasy, Zelda, and Mario games over some graphics behemoths nowadays. Games are meant for fun, eyecandy is supposed to come after fun. This game has both whether your a crysis 1 fanboy or not. And its impressive that a game can look that good on a 360. And Im glad that I wont need a few years of upgrading my pc in order to play crysis 2 at max.
Score
March 24, 2011 12:14:12 PM

indeed, saying the graphics are the same or even similar is just silly. They are very different, and the new one runs much smoother. The game will get all of the pretty lights by the time it is actuially released in a more true PC title rather than a console port. They say it will be this way, let's give them some time to follow through.

That being said, I am personally annoyed that they would come out with a demo that is incomplete, making people think that their computer will run the full game when it may not once dx10/11 is added. All engine designers should learn from UT2K4. Make it playable on even on-board chips, but let the max settings be truly something for the special few.
Score
March 24, 2011 12:20:37 PM

Gameplay>graphics
Score
March 24, 2011 12:34:18 PM

Yeah the consoles are holding back gaming, not keeping up. Thankfully Battlefield 3 is designed for PC first then ported to the consoles; it's forcing DX10 and 11, won't even run on Win XP - woohoo! :D 
Score
March 24, 2011 12:43:57 PM

Where the hell are the NEXT generation consoles? What happened to new waves coming out every 5 years or so?
Score
March 24, 2011 12:50:39 PM

This is the third or fourth plug for Crysis 2 in the past 2 days, Tom's. WTf? Just let it die. It's not a proper PC game and a huge disappointment after its predecessor. Let it die or write your own article regarding how much it sucks.
Score
March 24, 2011 1:04:49 PM

sirmorlukGameplay>graphics

Graphics are part of gameplay. It creates immersion, eye candy, and simply part of the fun. FPS are especially reliant on this, since the immersion aspect is very important.
caeden
indeed, saying the graphics are the same or even similar is just silly. They are very different, and the new one runs much smoother.

That is actually the sign that they are the similar. Old engine on new hardware (which is like 5x faster than what we had when the fist game was out) will runs smoother.
Score
March 24, 2011 1:08:11 PM

DirectX needs to go away. biggup OpenCL - let devs get closer to the hardware, that's what is holding these games (on PC) back.
Score
Anonymous
March 24, 2011 1:18:50 PM

This new Crysis is a cop out. Gone is the bleeding edge experience of FarCry and Crysis. Here now the bland mediocrity of huge profits.
Score
March 24, 2011 1:29:45 PM

and everything about the gameplay is casual(Consolization)Do any game devs care about the core PC player anymore? I kinda got tired of playing promod, BF2, CSS, etc.
Score
March 24, 2011 1:45:08 PM

The consoles do look well, but it's clear that the PC looks better! Gameplay on the PC is more fun and just wait for the DX11 patch and stop complaining!!! This game is a ton of fun!!!
Score
March 24, 2011 1:47:44 PM

wfrantzStop all the hate. They created an engine that looks similar to the first, but runs %200 smoother. Jesus... people need to appreciate video games more and stop with all the drama, your like a bunch of 7th grade girls.

i wish i could give you 8 more thumbs up
Score
Anonymous
March 24, 2011 1:52:25 PM

Lets see a comparison when they actually patch Crysis 2 with DX 10,11
Score
March 24, 2011 1:54:15 PM

Crytek nerfed the PC version. No visual customization options, no DirectX 11 and many more things that have been left out of the PC game.
Score
March 24, 2011 2:03:28 PM

jevonYeah the consoles are holding back gaming, not keeping up. Thankfully Battlefield 3 is designed for PC first then ported to the consoles; it's forcing DX10 and 11, won't even run on Win XP - woohoo!

sucks i cant play it, as i hate vista and 7.
cronik93Kept up? You mean holding PC back? There's no graphical improvement over the first Crysis so what the hell? Same graphics....different setting....Everything else about the game(from the main menu to the linear levels in the SP) reeks of console..Boy.....Crytek sure sold out PC gamers big time.

we hit this wall a while ago with diminishing returns. crysis 1 could look 5 times better than it did, but would you really notice all the detail without it being pointed out?

right now they are working on more passive detail improvements, as in things that don't need to be added by hand, because no one will really notice them in gameplay ever. consoles are on a 10 year cycle now because of this wall, because 10 years of improvements will give you a wow factor that before a 5 year cycle gave you.
Score
March 24, 2011 2:04:51 PM

wfrantzStop all the hate. They created an engine that looks similar to the first, but runs %200 smoother. Jesus... people need to appreciate video games more and stop with all the drama, your like a bunch of 7th grade girls.

Then why release the same product over again? If you're developing a new game you'd expect it to advance in certain areas and not be "siimilar to the first." We have things that are similar to the first and they're called expansion packs and usually cost half the price of the original. It's a disappointment from a game that was heralded as a saving grace of the PC market but in an attempt to take the easy way out (making a single game for consoles/PCs) they alienated the PC market.

Furthermore, forget whether the game is good or not. That just doesn't matter. If you buy crappy console ports then they'll keep making crappy console ports and then you've just bought a 6990/590 for absolutely no reason other than to brag to the rest of us. These games don't utilize your hardware to its full potential, they don't push game design forward. You're essentially buying the same old bland product in a new package. Congrats.
Score
March 24, 2011 2:05:56 PM

Im in with wfrantz. If Crysis2 is a powerhouse, then people complain they have to upgrade because they cant play it on their crappy PC. If its playable on a PC (and console) then people complain Crytek sold out. From what I saw the PC version had much better lighting and was much smoother.

And yes we do need the eye candy. No Doom level graphics no matter how good the gameplay...
Score
March 24, 2011 2:16:56 PM

Holy cow, the PC version looks MUCH, MUCH better than the console. The lighting and particle effects are intense on the PC version while they're just not existent on the console. Keep up? Uh... maybe.
Score
Anonymous
March 24, 2011 2:18:50 PM

I might buy this when it's in the bargain bin for $9.99 and that's a big maybe... Right now I'm so looking forward to Battlefield 3!
Score
March 24, 2011 2:21:20 PM

^^ just because you can't play it on your PC doesn't mean it's "amazing." If it plays on an xbox/PS3 then the chances are it's been ported over poorly.

When you add certain eye candy it's essentially the same eye candy everyone else has at their disposal, particularly when dealing with dx9 limitations and expectations of better hardware that is capable of handling it.

But compare it running on your PC to the game running on your xbox and bear in mind that your PC costs 5-10x more and then take a look again.
Score
March 24, 2011 2:26:09 PM

whatever happened to 2D side scrolling games with great graphix?
ahh...the gold ole days of Bad Dudes.
Score
March 24, 2011 2:45:02 PM

Now compare the gameplay controller vs mouse... CONSOLE FAIL
Score
Anonymous
March 24, 2011 2:53:57 PM

Huh? Who NEEDS DX11! When Crysis was released it was coded for both 9 and 10! But if we compare the graphics for both 9 and 10 generally both are the same. AND "NO IMPROVEMENT ON THE GRAPHICS" -WTH? When a game has already reached the freakin' peak WTH can you do?? The CryEngine is the PINNACLE of graphics. And with Crysis 2, a LOT OF PEOPLE "CAN PLAY CRYSIS" as compared to the first one. So in short THIS IS A WIN for Crytek.
Score
March 24, 2011 2:57:20 PM

Xbox360:
-Better red light effect.
-Water is kinda cool (but unrealistic)
-Downgraded version for run on Xbox360

PC:
-Water is realistic
-Light effect and reflection are alsome!
-Everything better

Also PC version seem have darker place, perhaps you just need to boost the gama or the brightness corrector a little bit.

PC version a WIN!
Score
March 24, 2011 3:03:30 PM

I teach 7th grade boys/girls, and speaking as a teacher, its attitudes like this that allow the dumbing down of once great games. I am glad that the consoles get the game, but what is wrong with allowing the PC to strech it's legs graphically. Why do they insist on holding it back. Yes it looks pretty good now, but why do we have to wait for DX11 and improved higher end graphics? Because they had no intention of making anything more than a console port. They will slap on a few "DX11 features" but it will not be a true DX11 game.

Why for the love of God did Crysis 1 come with dx10 and Crysis 2 doesn't? Because its a port plain and simple. If your a console fanboy, live it up, but don't tell the PC gamers to dumbdown our expectations to 7th grade level.
Score
March 24, 2011 3:21:38 PM

Honestly, I would understand given other game titles, but this is Crysis. The whole hype behind this game to begin with was because the graphics were so good. You have a game that originally had mind blowing graphics, the sequel (I almost typed SQL.. damn I need more free time lol) should follow.

Yes yes, graphics aren't everything, but a game in the Crysis series better have that same, lets go do random things like jump in and out of water to justify my GPU expenditure. It doesn't, plain and simple. Crytek developers said a while ago, due to piracy, that sole creation of games on a PC is done for them, so who do we have to thank?
Score
Anonymous
March 24, 2011 3:31:18 PM

I don't know what everybody is getting mad about. As I've said more times than I care to remember, Crytek is a developer of BENCMARKING SOFTWARE / TECH DEMOS, which is exactly the reason people mention visuals whenever they talk about any of their releases. Just because the benchmarks happen to be interactive, doesn't mean they qualify as games. The previous posts mentioning Gameplay > Graphics is exactly what Crytek fails to address every time. As far as complaining about not having DX 10/11 or rather, having PC exclusivity, you should refer to 2007 when Cevat Yerli complained about piracy. The only thing I know about Crysis 2, or for that matter, any new game being released in 2011, is that they will have to live up to the two greatest games being released this year, namely Deus Ex: Human Revolution and of course, the king of good fps gameplay, Duke Nukem Forever. Those two will shit all over Crysis when it comes to what is really important in a game: gameplay. For those of you complaining about the quality of visuals, you are not gamers and have totally missed the purpose of why developers exist in the first place.
Score
March 24, 2011 3:55:24 PM

Really tired of all the "gameplay > graphics" comments, please stop beating a dead horse. I think it's fair to say that in this day and age the majority of gamers accept this, and yet there are still plenty of PC enthusiasts who like to build their own rigs and push technology to its limits. The argument here is that developers are no longer following suit, and we have stagnant console hardware to thank for that (for the record I own a 360 and a PS3 and enjoy them both). I haven't played Crysis 2 and won't until it gets DX11 support but I can say it's admirable that Crytek has now made the game scaleable across all platforms... NOT however at the expense of the PC. But I'll wait for the DX11 patch to pass any further judgment.
Score
March 24, 2011 3:57:48 PM

Quote:
Playing a first-person-shooter is always better if you have the mouse option (though the couch comfort and big screen for consoles is nice too).

Well I personally enjoy the best of both using the XIM3 so that KB/M work wonderfully on the xBox 360. Not sure I will ever play another PC game now. I certainly won't be going through the ridiculous update cycle that was needed to keep up with the latest games.

The graphics may be better on PC, but I am 99% a multiplayer type player so the details of things are somewhat of an after thought. The flow, community, and online play will trump graphics every time in my book. The other 1% is going through the game just to get use to the feel of it.
Score
March 24, 2011 4:11:13 PM

I didn't mean to come across as "hating".

I was just pointing out what is pretty much fact. It is about the bottom $$ so games are developed to run on consoles and that fact is that consoles are far behind the tech available to the pc's.
Score
March 24, 2011 4:20:05 PM

The birth of multiplayer and true competitive gaming didn't start from consoles. It started with PCs. It's the reason your xbox has a port for a cat5 cable. It's the reason your xbox/ps3 work on dx9. It's the reason you're not blowing into a cartridge to get your game and system to boot up properly. More focus on the PC helps everyone, even if it means changing your approach a bit. You're not locked in on a PC. Develop what you wish, even if it be from the ground up. Want the community to contribute? Let them. Have them develop mods. Hell, counterstrike was a mod and it was immensely more popular than HL ever was. You're not allowed all of this on a console, and when not developing for the PC you're not only alienating the PC gamers but restricting further progress for console and PC gamers combined.
Score
March 24, 2011 4:30:21 PM

Well isn't graphics the whole point of the Crysis even existing? Was Crysis a excellent gameplay game? No. Did it have fantastic graphics that pushed the boundaries of PC gaming? Definitely. Crysis 2 should be the next generation benchmark for PC graphics excellence but now, its just a direct console port. PC version geometry could have been much more complex.
Score
March 24, 2011 4:43:34 PM

hotsacomanI don't know what everybody is getting mad about. As I've said more times than I care to remember, Crytek is a developer of BENCMARKING SOFTWARE / TECH DEMOS...

Exactly. I would however replace the word "benchmarking software" with the words "engine developer". An "engine developer" gets the real money from licensing the SDK of their engine to an actual "game developer". Ex. NCSoft purchased the liscensing rights of the cryengine to develop AION. You are dead on about the Crysis game being just a "tech demo" for the CryEngine though.

This is the same case with the Unreal Engine and the Unreal Tournament game. UT3 as a game sucked, but the Unreal Engine on which it was based, went on to be liscenced to developers of games on just about every PC, console, and mobile game you could think of. The UDK has raked in Trillions for Epic Games.

I think Crytek is trying to use this business model for its cryengine. It is imperative that they show that the CryEngine is scalable across many platforms. This way, developers (that actually know how to make a good game) decide to buy the rights to use the engine....so they can make lots of money. Its not about pushing the limits of the PC, or piracy, or any drama Crytek stirs up. Its all about the money.
Score
March 24, 2011 4:58:43 PM

Why do some Youtube embedds have a fullscreen button whilst others don't? I never understood why.
Score
March 24, 2011 4:59:53 PM

Gameplay+Graphics>Gameplay>graphics
Score
March 24, 2011 5:13:37 PM

Crysis 1 has better graphics than 2? someone is blind. Crysis 2 is all around a better game. Crysis one gets stale after the first few stages.

Why whine so much about the xbox version guys? they both look great and they both play great. I think people just need things to complain about after reading this thread. what a bunch of nonsense.

Also cheers to Crytek for making this game playable on a vast amount of hardware so more gamers can get right into the action with excellent quality of graphics. This game just obliterates the previous Crysis games.
Score
Anonymous
March 24, 2011 5:30:14 PM

For me, the main advange that pc have is the possibility of 60 FPS , pc 60fps is MUCH more fluid than the consoles 30...
Score
March 24, 2011 5:31:19 PM

Not sure the other systems, but the 360 MP demo looks nothing like the full game. The full game looks 1000x better. The demo was pretty ugly with all the ghosting and glitches. The full game is absolutely beautiful.
Score
March 24, 2011 5:33:29 PM

The important question is obviously, will my 360 controller work with it?
That's the mark of an excellent PC game.
Score
March 24, 2011 5:44:19 PM

No DX10, NO DX11, no POM, No Advance Graphic Options, the thousand console command access of the first CRYSIS has been cut to 47 commands, .PAK files are encrypted meaning no way to mod, no modding tool.... THEY literally went and destroyed the PC version. Literally removed every good feature the original game had.
Score
March 24, 2011 6:00:53 PM

bustaprI agree with wfrantz. This games looks better than most other games on the market and it is a fun game. Why are all the panzies here always complaining about graphics. Id gladly take some old Final Fantasy, Zelda, and Mario games over some graphics behemoths nowadays. Games are meant for fun, eyecandy is supposed to come after fun. This game has both whether your a crysis 1 fanboy or not. And its impressive that a game can look that good on a 360. And Im glad that I wont need a few years of upgrading my pc in order to play crysis 2 at max.

I agree that games are first and foremost supposed to be fun. I still play D$D goldbox games inside a DOS emulator even though the graphics are horrible, but the story and game play are so appealing that I'm willing to ignore my disgust at the graphics. But, you're neglecting something crucial, realistic/immersive graphics are often a strong factory in the game's fun feeling. It can add so much to the atmosphere.
Score
March 24, 2011 6:09:59 PM

pelovBut compare it running on your PC to the game running on your xbox and bear in mind that your PC costs 5-10x more and then take a look again.

Refurbed 360's with 250gb HD are $250 at Bestbuy. But what do you get? A box that plays games with a tiny hard drive. It's a toy. If you're a casual gamer with a small budget, consoles are a great bargain. If you're serious about your gaming experience and have the money, you go PC. BTW, you can build a budget PC for less than $500 that'll blow the doors off a console. So, 5-10x is a bit of an exaggeration.
Score
!