ATHLON XP 2000+OVERCLOKING-HELP NEEDED

HALLO THERE.THIS IS MY FIRST POST,I AM A NEWBIE SO DONT CONSIDER MY QUESTIONS SILLY.I OWN A PC WITH THE FOLLOWING SPECIFICATIONS:
-----------------------------------
CPU:ATHLON AMD XP 2000+
MOTHERBOARD:ABIT KX7-333
MEMORY:512 DDR 333
HARD DISK:MAXTOR 60GB
GRAPHICS CARD:Ti 4200 8X 128MB AGP
DVD BTC
PLEXTOR CD-WRITER
THE CASE HAS TWO FANS INSTALLED AT ITS BACK
---------------------
MY PROBLEM IS THAT I HAVE TRIED SEVERAL TIMES TO OVERCLOCK THE CPU,CHANGING THE FSB FROM 133 TO 138.AS YOU SEE THIS IS A SMALL INCREASE.UNFORTUNATELY MOST OF THE TIMES THE SYSTEM BECOMES UNSTABLE.IT RESTARTS WHEN I USE THE 3DMARK 2001 BUILD 330 AND SOMETIMES I HAVE TO RESTORE THE DEFAULTS SETTINGS OF THE MOBO BECAUSE THE SYSTEM DOESN'T STARTS AT ALL.IS MY CPU AND THE MOBO RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS OR I COULD BLAME THE MEMORY ALSO?THE SYSTEM'S USUAL TEMP IS 23'C AND THE CPU'S IS 50.WHAT CAN BE DONE TO HELP ME?THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!
6 answers Last reply
More about athlon 2000 overcloking help needed
  1. so 50C when it's idle huh?
    you got a Athlon XP 2000+ with Palomino Core, which is not very overclockable..but anyway
    but changing your FSB from 133mhz to 138, you are making your XP2000+ to a XP2100+
    now, here goes, did you change the voltage from 1.75V to at least 1.8V? Try it first

and..don't write everything with upper case, it makes me sick
  2. Hmmm if it already runs so hot you wont get much out of it. Voltage increasements wouldn't be a good idea with a 50C idle temp... but you can always try the suggested.

My CPU fan spins so fast that it creates a wormhole :eek:
  3. How do i raise my Voltage?
    i saw in my bios in the CPU V section that i have only 3 options : 5V 10V and auto/
    i saw ppl saying to put it on 1.8 , 1.75
    how do i do that??...
    thaks
  4. what's motherboard you have? what chipset does it use?
  5. i have Gigabyte's GA-7VAX
    i donno the chipset...\:

it supports 333FSB
    can it be the problem with the overclocking problem?
  6. The motherboard is a KT400 based, so yes, it supports 333FSB, you should be able to OC it by changing the CPU Voltage, I don't know why the option are 5V, 10V and Auto, I'll try to check mine and tell you what's later..
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Windows XP Overclocking