PC or PS3

jackgreat

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2006
Hello guys,

I have always been an avid pc gamer and have played pc games all the time. Little over a month ago my wife gifted me a PS3 super slim. Though I have played motion games in it most of the time, I did get a chance to try resident evil 6. Far cry 3 release is around the corner and I am deciding whether I should buy for pc or ps3.

PS3
The good : no setup hassle and great to play on my big hdtv, can sit on bed and play.
Bad : crosshair control is not easy (using thumbstick). Not comfortable yet.

PC
Good : Familier, controlling is known and easier, have played previous titles on PC
Bad : Have to sit on my computer table, viewing on monitor is not as great as in big hdtv.

The only reason i am thinking whether to buy pc version of far cry 3 is because using mouse camera/crosshair control is easier than thumbstick. Otherwise ps3 on my hdtv would give better experience.

What should i do ?

(My pc is win 7, intel i5, 4 gb ram, nvidia gtx 275)

Will be glad if anyone can help me decide.

Cheers,
Jack

Sumukh_Bhagat

Honorable
Nov 11, 2012
GTX 275 will not give a good playing experience. It is a weak card, you'll have to play a lower resolution and settings.
Whereas you can play at good settings and resolution in PS3.

There should be a Mouse and keyboard for PS3 and XBOX too :(

jackgreat

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2006

My schedule is now hectic and I know I cant spend much time gaming. So I am reluctant to buy a new graphics card just for this game. Specially when I have PS3 with me. The other side is aim/camera control on PS3 might not be easy for me.

So I am in a fix !!!

Game on PC. Even GTX 275 will give a MUCH better gaming experience than playing on a PS3. It's on par with HD 7770, which is a mid range PC card. You'll be able to play most FC3 on medium-high settings at 1080p resolution.

Remember, the game will look much better on PC :).

jpoos

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2011
far cry, it'd have to be pc. i enjoy both pc & console gaming myself (xbox 360) but there's some genre's that i just can't play on a console, fps being the main one - it just feels too clunky & weird using a pad. racing games however, pad is awesome! i even use an xbox controller to play race driver grid on pc :)

shutten

Honorable
Nov 25, 2012

No, you can use mouse and keyboard for Xbox 360. Search XIM3 on Google.

jackgreat

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2006
Thanks a lot for your help guys. I think I will go for the PC version. Playing with keyboard and mouse will be better than PS3 controller.

I think my GTX 275 should do fine. The only sad part is it supports DirectX 10 so I won't see the DirectX 11 graphics.

Sunius said the game will look much better in PC than PS3. Why?

PS3 uses 7 year old hardware, so in order for game to feel smooth, they have to reduce graphics settings. The game on PS3 runs at 1280x720 resolution and 30 fps, and at equivalent to low settings of PC. If you run the same resolution, you'll be able to get high settings at 60 fps. If you run higher resolution, it will look even better (at 1080p I'd expect you'd be able to play at maximum settings).

jackgreat

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2006

Well I played Resident Evil 6 on PS3 at a resolution of 1920x1080 HD and never felt that there was lag or quality was low. So you are saying if I play Far Cry 3 in PS3, either the PS3 will automatically reduce graphics quality or I have to do so, otherwise the game will lag as my TV resolution is 1920x1080 Full HD.

Plus coming back to directx, in my pc playing using DirectX 10 vs DirectX 11, will the difference be low? I dont want to upgrade my graphics card just to get directx 11, as mine was a high end card for the time.

The PS3 doesn't render games at 1920x1080. It renders them at 1280x720 and just upscales the video. Graphics quality doesn't have to be reduced, because it is always the same on consoles: the lowest.

There will be a difference between DirectX 10 and DirectX 11, but nowhere between the scale of difference between PS3 and DirectX 10. Trust me, it will look MUCH better on PC.

jackgreat

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2006

I have ordered for the PC version. I appreciate your help. :)