Assassin's Creed 3 Low FPS/Stuttering

Status
Not open for further replies.

P Lash

Honorable
Dec 1, 2012
Hello,
I just started playing Assassin's Creed 3 and I'm getting pretty bad performance and low FPS (15-20) in Boston, to the point where playing through Boston has become quite painful. :( Other areas of the game, however, like the Frontier and the Homestead, are working quite fine. I change the settings, lower the resolution, no difference at all. Even tried getting the latest ATI drivers 12.11 beta, no difference.
I googled this issue, seems like its pretty common, but I can't find a solution for it.

I don't get why, because all the previous AC's have ran perfectly on the highest settings, plus other games like Crysis, GTA 4, Far Cry 3, Sleeping Dogs etc are running quite well with no issues on my rig.

Config is-
ATI Radeon 6770 2 GB GDDR5
3 GB RAM
3.2 Ghz Core 2 Duo
Windows 7

Please help.

It's nothing regarding your system specs. The game is just currently unoptimized and everyone, even with their high end GPUs are facing this issue.
I'm facing this problem too, on entering Boston. The game just drops to an FPS that makes the game unplayable.

You're going to have to wait for Ubisoft to release the patch for the game. Otherwise, there's nothing much you can do.

stu6188

Honorable
Dec 3, 2012
My spec:
i7 2600k OC 4.5GHz
GTX 570 1.25GB DDR 5 OC 850 2100
8GB RAM 1600
120GB SSD
Water cooled and with lots of fans my gpu doesnt go above 65 degrees and my cpu 70. (No heat Issues)

AC3 Settings:
1080p 60
EVERYTHING on lowest settings ie. AA etc.

FPS:
Average moves erratically between 35 and 60. Lots of jumping/image tare/general glitching.

Summary:
AC3 is really not optimized at ALL. Im running windows 8 which is unlikely to help but I have used all the lastest drivers, and my best results have been using nvidias beta versions for 8.

Help:
Id suggest lowering the settings to min as it really doesn't make a lot of difference for the short term. Updating to the latest beta drivers for you graphics card and wishing you had bought Hitman ;)..but seriously ubisoft are, im sure working on fixes daily! Just have to play the waiting game

DragonClaw

Honorable
Nov 9, 2012

Go to Documents/Assasin's Creed III/ and open up the ini file. And turn VSync to 0. Do it after opening the game and minimizing it.

And, the setting which taxes your graphic card most is "Environment Settings". Lower it to the Normal.
Also, update to the latest drivers for your Graphic Card.

The problem really is with he game optimizations. The game gives around only 30% load to your graphic card, and thus runs at an extremely annoying fps rate.

By the way...
The game ending is not at all cool. You will really be disappointed. A buggy game with not a cool ending. Sigh...

the game played almost fine on my (sig) system. the difference between mine and most like mine is that i have turned hyper threading off in bios. this means that the threadin is forced to work on each core seperatly . if the game is badly optimized it may try to share threads on a core that can run 2 end result is bottlenecking.
i ran the game at max and in most every place it was fine. even bostong was no issue apart from a slight stutter for the first couple of seconds of loading the game up. it would play smooth for a second or 2 then sort of slow down slightly for a second. then it was rinse and repeate for the next couple of mins. i would start a misson and the fps would pick up and the game played smooth.
even at lower settings it was the same so i guess it is just the game.. but turning off hyperthreading if your cpu has it may help a bit.
i also ran it on the 12.10 drivers not the beta 1s.
but saying as your running a core 2 due on a game that needs 3 cores my guess is your system may meet minum spec for the cpu, but your gfx card is likely to be causing bottlenecking on top of any poor optimization.
upgrade to a core 2 quad asap. you can pick a q6600 or better up for less than 60 on ebay.

lordvr

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2009
Phenom II x4 965 BE @ 3.4 ghz Radeon 5970 and only 15-20 fps in Boston like you. The curious thing is, if I fight at the edge of the docks and turn the camera away from Boston game jumps back up to consistent 50-60 fps. Rotate the camera back towards Boston again and low and behold, frame rate dips to 20... I played the entire AC2 trilogy flawlessly on this system, so this is frustrating to say the least. I tried different versions of catalyst old and new nothing matters.

G

Q9450 @ 3.4ghz
8gb ddr2
nvidia gtx 570 @ 900, 2000

I had loads of micro stutter and nasty slowdown which is now totally gone. Nvidia users head to the nvidia control panel and turn off threaded optimisation for the executable. I also put on half refresh rate adaptive v-sync.

Now I'm playing fine with no hideous stutter and 30-60 fps throughout :)

Jim99

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2011
Same here.I just arrived in Boston and the FPS is terrible.My rig:

Intel Core2Quad Q8400 @2.66GHz
Radeon HD 6950 2GB
4GB RAM

I know my system is a bit dated,but I can play games like BF3,Crysis 2,The Witcher 2,MOHW on everything maxed out with little or no FPS drops.Currently,only two games are causing problems,Far Cry 3 and Assassin's Creed 3 which both happen to be Ubisoft games.So,as a lot of other people suggest,I think it is and optimization (don't know if I spelled that right) problem.

Well as far as I know, NVIDIA users can play okay with the BETA drivers. There's also the latest patch for the game. But it didn't address of any sort of fixes for the performance issues and all. My take, don't buy it yet.

Archangel220

Honorable
Jan 10, 2013
hey guys, like everyone im having pretty bad frame rate issues too (when playing on max setting), but not just in boston. the frontier, new york, as well as the homestead. i just wanna make sure its not my specs and just part of the port issue.

AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
8 GB Ram
2x ATI Radeon 6850 XFX (Crossfire)

All of my drivers are up to date so i know thats not the issue. Any suggestions?

Disable CrossFire. That should boost your frame rates.

sp3ct3r_pr1m3

Honorable
Mar 5, 2013

I am also in the same boat and have narrowed it down to Ubisoft games as well. It's embarrassing at times because your bros are like, "dude, what happened to your awesome rig?" I have to explain that it's only far cry 3 and assassins creed. My specs are: Intel i7-3610QM, Overclocked PC12800- 16GB @ 1600 MHz RAM, ADATA SSD with 5400 RPM HDD, as well as an AMD Radeon HD 7970M (Overclocked). Everything, even Crysis 3 runs without hickup. Literally, I think my PC does it nails while I'm playing Crysis on max settings. I don't understand why the aforementioned two games are causing all these problems. I actually beat AC3 before all the issues started. It actually started about two days after I beat the game. I don't know if Steam, Uplay, or whatever updated my machine or if the drivers are an issue (likely not), but all my Ubisoft titles are f'd up.

The sad thing is, I highly enjoy Ubisoft titles, they are among the best. I have the season pass for AC3 and can't even play the George Washington DLCs now... If anyone has a solution, please provide.

Eaquitas Absum

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2012
I have noticed the same issue with my rig
Spec's
FX 6300 @4.5
Trident X 1866 CL6
SLI'd GTX 670 GHz edition Windforce
According to task manager it is utilizing much of my CPU 4 cores yet it is only using close to 30% of my GPU probably even less (usually have it running at 797mhz when I have it OC'd to 1125mhz base clock)
And like others have said I have only noticed the lag in the town of Boston everything else is hitting 60 and staying at sixty)

hkoivuneva

Honorable
May 14, 2013
This is just insane how badly the game works! It looks kinda good but as with you guys, every time in Boston/other cities/the Indian village as a kid FPS drops DOWN.

My rig:
Phenom II X4 955 BE @3.5Ghz
4GB 800Mhz DDR2
Asus Radeon HD 7850 DirectCU II @ 1050Mhz/5000Mhz (default Windows 8 drivers, didn't notice any difference with latest AMD ones)
Windows 8 Pro

When I'm running in the nature somewhere, FPS is good 40-60 but in populated areas it drops to 15-25. While playing, GPU usage is ONLY 25-40% but CPU 80%. Seriously, Ubisoft? I bought the Join or Die edition and thought that for the price the game should work okay. The good thing in CPU usage is that it uses all the cores evenly, about 70-95% all.

AND. Crysis 3 works perfectly with ~50 FPS maxed out (except shadows medium, FXAA on, particles high).

Here is what I did to improve it, with help from all over the web:
Assasin3.ini, edit these:
[Graphics_DX11]
DisplayWidth=1920
DisplayHeight=1080
RefreshRate=60
MultiSampleType=0
VSync=0
EnvironmentQuality=0
TextureQuality=0
ShadowQuality=0
ReflectionQuality=2
CharacterQuality=2
PostFX=1
NVidia3D=0
DisableHairAniso=0

Go to game folder, right-click AC3SP.exe -> properties -> Compatibility -> turn on the option not to use scaling with high DPI, helps a lot.

amant

Honorable
Jun 3, 2013
hi p lash i to suffered from this lag and was dissapointed by the lag but suddenly i got an idea and assassins creed 3 lag was gone .

here is the only working method to remove lag from assassins creed 3

if u have a dual core processor go to bios setting and enable multicore processor

now save the setting and exit

run assassins creed 3

open task manager (ctrl+alt+delete)

find assassins creed 3 process and set affinity to all cores and priority to high and boom ur lag will be gone now

i to was surprised with my method it is for everyone who want to play assassins creed 3 ... enjoy all

dewinalbert

Honorable
Oct 1, 2013
Recommended Settings!
Game Settings:
Environment : High
Texture : High
Antialiasing: TXAA
Shadow: Very High

Assassin3.ini
[Graphics_DX11]
AdapterVendorID=4318
AdapterDeviceID=4544
MonitorDesc=\\?\DISPLAY#SAM058D#5&3a73a22f&0&UID1048848#{e6f07b5f-ee97-4a90-b076-33f57bf4eaa7}
DisplayWidth=1600
DisplayHeight=900
RefreshRate=60
MultiSampleType=3
VSync=0
EnvironmentQuality=1
TextureQuality=1
ShadowQuality=2
ReflectionQuality=2
DisableHairAniso=1

nVidia Control Panel Settings:
Power Management Mode: Performance
VSync: Adaptive Half Refresh rate (30FPS)

This Settings will give you FPS Locked @ 30
In very few areas the fps may be reduced to 24, but you won't feel any lag in the game play.

Most optimized settings I tried so far.

My System Config:
AMD Athlon II X4 640 @ 2.8Ghz
4GB DDR3 @ 1333MHZ
nVIDIA GeForce GTX 660

whiteknights

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2013

your graphic card bottleneck your CPU..GTx 570 is very weak to i7,atleast get Gtx 660, it will fit with ur i7 and run the game perfect

Matt916

Honorable
Oct 12, 2013
I'm having the same issue.

My rig is:

AMD FX 8350 Eight core @ 4.00 ghz
Radeon hd7970
16 gb ram 1600
120 GB SSD
1 TB hard drive
water-cooled and a load of fans

My drivers are completely updated.

When I'm playing in Boston, i'm only getting between 20 and 30 fps (30 if i'm lucky!) and changing the settings isn't making much of a difference. The game also freezes a lot and some times minimizes to my desktop. Any suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.