Overclocking athlon xp2000+

olrac

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2001
I'm currently running an xp2000+ with a volcano 7 cooling fan on my asus a7v333 the early revision model. This motherboard will only allow me to install a 2400+.Thats not much higher than I have now so I would like to save the money and try and squeeze it out of this processor if possible. How much can I safely overclock this 2000+ without modifying the voltage. I have a 350w HEC power supply, 1 gig of ram. Temp runs at about 48-52 depending on the load. If I can achieve 2200 speeds without affecting stability I would like to try. I can do it all from the bios but I thought I would ask first about how high I can comfortably increase the fsb without adjusting the voltage. If anyone has a good configuration for this setup, please let me know. It would be greatly appreciated.

svol

Champion
You probably have the Palomino core so you wont get it very high unless you're the lucky owner of a good core stepping.

Anyway if it is a Palomino then multipliers are locked and can only be unlocked by modding the CPU, so FSB changement will probably the best way to OC this CPU. Just start incrasing your FSB a couple of MHz a time and test memory and CPU stability. Once it gets unstable you either back off a couple of MHz or try if increasing the VCore helps to run stable at a higher speed.

I can't recommend any specific settings because no CPUs OCes similair and I don't have a clue how good your CPU will be without Core and core-stepping info which is written on the CPU die.

My CPU fan spins so fast that it creates a wormhole :eek: