Artifacts on ABIT IS7 I865 at 3,1 GHz. Why?

Tommelom

Distinguished
May 21, 2003
I have easly managed to overclock my 2,8 GHz cpu on a IS7 to 3,1 GHz, but now I get artifacts on the screen when I'm running 3dmark. The cpu is nice and cool, I haven't clocked the gfx-card so what's the problem? Is it the ram? Does it get to hot, is the volt to low? Does the cpu get to low volt (it's still on 1,6V)?
Answers would make me verry happy =)
IS7 sure is a great board, and I'm still using bios 1.0. And on 3,1 GHz I have still much to go on when it comes to heat with a SLK900.

My setup:

Abit IS7 (bios 1.0)
P4 2,8 (800) cpu w/SLK900 heatsink
2 x 512 DDR Twinmos w/winbond
Creative Ti4200
Samsung 120 GB HD

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by tommelom on 05/30/03 09:13 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You may have overclocked your Advanced Graphics Port (the port itself) too far, see if there's a lock setting for it in BIOS.

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>

Tommelom

Distinguished
May 21, 2003
The problem with the graphicnoise was the cpu:ram ratio. I now use 5:4 and the noise is now gone. But now the computer crash instead! It runs stable up to 3,05 (218 fsb) GHz and that's it. Why? Increasing the cpu-volt doesn't help and the ram now underclocked (174 mhz) so I don't think the ram-volt needs to be risen. I have seen 300 mhz fsb on a IC7 with a 2,4 ghz cpu, so the 218 mhz I have now seems very low. Can someone enlighten me? Do I just have a bad cpu that just can't take the speed?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Hmm, maybe the lock isn't working? I mean, such occurances happen within the video card, so it certainly sounds like that would be the culprit. Can you raise vAGP a little?

Tommelom

Distinguished
May 21, 2003
I have tried to rise the agp volt too, but it doesn't help.
What is it with me and overclocking? Last time I bought Abit KR7A because it was suposed to be a great board for OC, but it wouldn't OC at all and now this.....=/

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I don't know...but I definately DO know that graphics artifacts are caused by the graphics card. It's possible for them to be caused by memory, but I've never seen that.

svol

Champion
You're right about that Crashman. The only thing I can think of causing it is a overheating videocard or an underpowered videocard (caused by to weak PSU).

My CPU fan spins so fast that it creates a wormhole :eek: