Your question

NB heatsink HELP!

Tags:
  • Motherboards
  • Overclocking
Last response: in Overclocking
May 31, 2003 6:19:12 AM

Hi all!
Now i know that in all likely hood this question has already been answered but since i don't know the anwser i might as well ask. I have a GA-8SQ800 Ultra and my mobo's FSB seems to start to go all haywire after 155's (only one generic case fan, getting delta screamers in 2 weeks time) I am planing to get the Zalman North Bridge Passive Heat sink but as i examined my motherboard recently, i discovered that there was some thermal adhesive between the default heat sink and North Bridge.
What is the safest way to remove this??
does the Zalman offer any FSB OC increases??
Is it worth it??
Is there anyway to fit a fan on it??
1 more thing that is completly off topic- does anyone have the Zalman 92mm fan bracket?? does it work well??
I should put this in my sig but for now, once again-
Thanks in advance.

The Cheapo cooling solution- open one side of your case with a fan blowing into it. Hey don't laugh man! I shaved 7C off that way! :) 

More about : heatsink

May 31, 2003 1:30:14 PM

Well what kind of thermal adhesive is it? The ones I found on morhtboards are fairly weak and you can remove the heatsink by trying to move it around. But if it is very strong epoxy like the Arctic Silver Thermal Adhesive then you first need to put your motherboard in a freezer to weaker the bond and then slowly pry it of with a flat screwdriver and something to protect the board like a creditcard.

My CPU fan spins so fast that it creates a wormhole :eek: 
June 1, 2003 4:39:09 AM

I'm not quiet sure what it is but it seems weak enough (i can sort of twist the heatsink around while it's on top of the NB as if it is been connected by an axial! :p 

The Cheapo cooling solution- open one side of your case with a fan blowing into it. Hey don't laugh man! I shaved 7C off that way! :) 
Related resources
June 1, 2003 12:25:28 PM

Then it is probably connected with some glue that acts like bubble gum... not a very strong bond. I had the same on my GeForce2 MX and several mobo's... it is just some kind of sticky pad connected with the hetasink and that keeps them together.

My CPU fan spins so fast that it creates a wormhole :eek: 
June 4, 2003 12:27:39 AM

The cheapest way to create a 92mm or any other size fan baracket is with some gaffer tape. I use this technique to cool my GPU and the north bridge. All you have to do is work the gaffa tape arround the fan taperong in to the side of the heatsink. Once you get the correct size then layer with more gaffer tape until it is self suporting. I use this with 120mm fans in particular on the GPU to lessen the ammount of noise in the case, as a larger fan needs to turn slowere than a small fan to give the same ammount of air flow.
June 5, 2003 2:36:04 AM

If you can twist the heat sink it is a good idea to remove it. Such an adhesive will be a lousy thermal conductor. If it were firmly attached I would look for a fan. I found a decent clip on fan that was connected to a P2 heat sink. It fit perfectly on my north bridge heat sink.

ZZSpaceman
!