Silent Cooler for Barton 2500+

manbodh

Distinguished
May 31, 2003
I am planning to buy an Athlon XP 2500+ (Barton fsb 333).....Instead of using the boxed cooler, I want to buy a seperate SILENT cooler. (I'm not into overclocing etc..I just want a silent system!)

I hope that you guys can give me some tips. I was considering the Coolermaster CP5-7JD1B-OL, but I think that this cooler is too 'light' for the Barton core or not?

Please help!!

ps: How about the Zalman s6000Cu, is this one also very silent?

CompSci

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2001
A CoolerMaster X-Dream HAC-V81 ain't bad...
I just got one and didn't really know how how good it was. Just got it cause (1) it was reasonably priced, (2) i've used coolermasters for a couple years now and they always cool well, (3) reviews said they were pretty quiet.
I think i got dumb lucky...

Read the other current post about "Where's the reviews? (Tt Volcano10+)".
svol put a link to some reviews and they compare Tt's to the X-Dream, and the X-Dream "BLOWS" (pun) Tt's away... That review ain't lyin, X-Dream is ahellofva cooler, it knocked close to 10C off my CPU and I was allready runnin acceptably cool... (and it really should cool pretty good cause it moves about 70CFM on hi - it would have to be dooin something seriously wrong it it didn't cool well!)

And it is very acceptably quiet! Not totally silent, about the same as my PS fan at ~3500rpm. At ~3280rpl I'm not sure it I hear the x-dream or the PS fan-sorta blends in and not irritating at all - Like a York Perpermint Patty - "when I turn on my x-dream it makes me think i'm skiiing down a smooth snowy slope enjoyong a gentle misty mountain breeze...'

I like it - not bad at all...

Turk

Distinguished
May 25, 2003
For a Silent system checkout a Zalman ( a bit expensive, around 30$) but very quiet and extremly cool. Especially for AMD the CNPS6000-Cu. http://www.zalman.co.kr/english/intro.htm

For a cheaper but also very quiet check out
www.arctic-cooling.com I myself are using theri "coppersilent" in a AXP 1800+ and its very quiet only 20DB but is NOT for any kind of overcklocking! The price in Sweden is only 15$, ought to be cheaper in the states!

GL

Turk