Is My PS3 bricked?

walkingepidemic

Honorable
Feb 27, 2012
Hey guys, unfortunately when I recently tried to update my PS3's system software, it stopped at around 40-60%, and then spat out an error code. After that, it told me to switch the playstation off and then on at the power point. When I did, it just went through the same process again. I have looked on other websites, and I don't want to pay $150 for a refurbished ps3, I just want mine to work again.

Note: I have previously tried booting it up in Safe Mode, and instead of bringing me to the recovery menu, it just went straight back into the update process, ready to end in an error state once more.

I am getting increasingly worried about this, as my situation is appearing increasingly bleak. So, my real question is: is the PS3 bricked, or is it fixable with some kind of solution. I really hope the answer is the latter, because I really don't want to have to pay for a new PS3.

Thanks in advance,
Walkingepidemic

weaselman

Honorable
Oct 27, 2012
It depends, when you say update, it can mean two things it could be updating the Os, used for running the menus on screen ect, or it could of been a firmware update. of the hardware bios. The fact it boots tells me its a software problem.

Hard Reset procedure for the PS3

Be sure to backup your settings/games saves by doing a System > Backup on your PS3 or you may lose your game saves! Also, this is a last resort procedure prior to exchanging/returning to sony.

1. Power Off the PS3 via the power switch in back and power back on w/switch.

2. Hold Power Button on the Front until you hear 3 beeps.

3. Then go through the initial setup and then run a full Format via System > Format. (will take approx 3 1/1 hours). You may need to have our AV cables ready if your using HDMI (in case HDMI isn’t detected after initial reset).

4. Restore your backup you made prior to doing factory/hard reset (optional, if you created a backup).

walkingepidemic

Honorable
Feb 27, 2012
Thanks. I haven't got a chance to try this yet, but I was wondering whether it will work on a slim PS3, or only the original model.

Also, i think a software update contains updates for both the os and firmware...

walkingepidemic

Honorable
Feb 27, 2012

Tried that, never has three beeps. Only the two beeps for safe mode, which as i previously said didn't work.

walkingepidemic

Honorable
Feb 27, 2012
Okay. I finally fixed it, and for anyone else with the same problem, this is what I did:

1. Remove HDD cover (flip console, remove rectangular cover towards the front of the ps3, and then undo the blue screw. You can now remove the hard drive cover, exposing the HDD.)
2. Power PS3 on, and wait for update process to begin
3. When the update has started, and you are sure there is no disk activity, remove hard drive (while ps3 is going). Leave it until it gets to 99%.
4. After it reaches 99%, wait 1-2 minutes, and then power the playstation off at the power point.
5. Plug the hard drive back in and switch back on.
6. When it gets to around 45% in the update (may change depending on when you received the error), it should just jump to 100% instantly, and then it should reboot. Hopefully, if all went well, you should be back at the XMB.
7. Replace the HDD cover, and you're good!