Norton firewall blocking local network?

Two mechines connected through a D-Link router, one is 2000 and the
other is a XP, a printer link to the 2000 mechine. Local network
works fine of both file sharing and printer sharing.

Installed Norton on the XP mechine, things start go wrong from then,
the mechines cann't see each other anymore, even when the firewall was
turned off. The firewall is setting to trust all the non-routable IP
on the home networking setting, and window file and printer sharing
are set as permit.

One odd thing is that the XP mechine can still print stuff to the 2000
printer! But at extremely slower speed, a single page can take upto
10 mins. Before the Norton, the printing from the XP to the 2000
printer was instantaneous.

Any thought and suggestions, please help, Thanks!
5 answers Last reply
More about norton firewall blocking local network

    sodrd8848 schrieb:

    > Two mechines connected through a D-Link router, one is 2000 and the
    > other is a XP, a printer link to the 2000 mechine. Local network
    > works fine of both file sharing and printer sharing.
    >
    > Installed Norton on the XP mechine, things start go wrong from then,
    > the mechines cann't see each other anymore, even when the firewall was
    > turned off. The firewall is setting to trust all the non-routable IP
    > on the home networking setting, and window file and printer sharing
    > are set as permit.
    >
    > One odd thing is that the XP mechine can still print stuff to the 2000
    > printer! But at extremely slower speed, a single page can take upto
    > 10 mins. Before the Norton, the printing from the XP to the 2000
    > printer was instantaneous.
    >
    > Any thought and suggestions, please help, Thanks!

    Why do you install the firewall if you already have the router which
    most likely does already have a firewall? There is usually no use for
    the second one except that it slows down your system and has the
    potential to make a whole lot of problems, as you see.

    I tested NIS on two computers and it has many problems with file
    sharing. I mailed Symantec support but they don't have a clue how to fix
    it. One problem they seem to have is that they have default blocking
    rules that fire and block file sharing before they actually have
    identified the network. Once they identified the network it should
    actually let everything through as it is related to the trusted network
    but for some reason I guess their firewall is so stateful that is
    actually remembers that it has blocked file sharing right in the
    beginning and thus does it forever. And funniest thing about it: the
    problem that the client cannot access the server is related to a firing
    incoming rule on the client computer, whoever thought that that is related.

    So maybe you get an idea...

    Gerald

    johnlu8848@hotmail.com (sodrd8848) wrote in

    > Two mechines connected through a D-Link router, one is 2000 and the
    > other is a XP, a printer link to the 2000 mechine. Local network
    > works fine of both file sharing and printer sharing.
    >
    > Installed Norton on the XP mechine, things start go wrong from then,
    > the mechines cann't see each other anymore, even when the firewall was
    > turned off. The firewall is setting to trust all the non-routable IP
    > on the home networking setting, and window file and printer sharing
    > are set as permit.
    >
    > One odd thing is that the XP mechine can still print stuff to the 2000
    > printer! But at extremely slower speed, a single page can take upto
    > 10 mins. Before the Norton, the printing from the XP to the 2000
    > printer was instantaneous.
    >
    > Any thought and suggestions, please help, Thanks!

    If you're looking for that extra bit of security to protect the LAN, then
    you can go with IPsec that is on the XP and 2K O/S(s).

    The AnalogX SecPol file when implemented will provide the protection
    behind the NAT router and it can stop inbound or outbound by port,
    protocol, and IP.

    It's a piece of cake.

    http://www.petri.co.il/block_ping_traffic_with_ipsec.htm

    Duane :)

    Thank you very much Gerald,

    The reason I'm putting up another firewall behind the router is that
    something unusual happened to this particular mechine, and I then went
    to Gibson's site to do a leadk test, and the Gibson test show that
    this particular mechine is leaking, i.e., went on to connected to the
    outside world without telling me that, so I thought I may need a
    firewall on this mechine too. My understanding to the router hardware
    firewall is that it will stop most of the attack from the outside, but
    wouldn't be able to detect anything if a horse already exist and
    making contact to the outside world, is it correct, or just my
    misunderstanding about the router thing?

    It seems that you didn't get a straight answer from the Norton guys,
    but did you fix the problem by any other means? What I mean is that
    did manage to get your local mechines talk to each other again?

    Thanks again for you help.

    John

    sodrd8848 schrieb:
    > firewall on this mechine too. My understanding to the router hardware
    > firewall is that it will stop most of the attack from the outside, but
    > wouldn't be able to detect anything if a horse already exist and
    > making contact to the outside world, is it correct, or just my
    > misunderstanding about the router thing?

    Yes. Once you have a trojan, noone can help you anymore, because the
    trojan can easily circumvent and software running on your computer
    including the firewall. A PFW cannot give you a guarantee that
    information cannot be leaked outside. It is just not possible.

    The problem just starts the very moment you install the malware, because
    malware or whatever else usually doesn't just show up on your computer,
    but it comes through either a vulnerability that you haven't patched or
    because you run it. (like virus attachments)

    > It seems that you didn't get a straight answer from the Norton guys,
    > but did you fix the problem by any other means? What I mean is that
    > did manage to get your local mechines talk to each other again?

    Yes. Deactive NIS...

    Gerald

    John,
    I've had a very similar problem with NIS 2004 on W2k. I've finally
    got around it by using the Wizard (rather than manual settings) in the
    Networking tab when configuring a Trusted Network. This seems to work.
    However you have to be administrator for it to run. Furtermore, if you
    want a normal user on the machine to be able to see shares, you have to
    temporarily give them Administrator rights and use the wizard when
    logged in as that normal user. Take away Admin rights when you are
    finished.
    --
    tcrowe

Firewalls Printers Windows XP Networking