Sign in with
Your question

CSS Stuttering/freezing please help

Last response: in Video Games
December 2, 2012 4:56:14 PM

hi there,
my game(counter strike source) FPS drops quite often and makes the game lag, its a quick drop in the frame rate and then it goes back up to 60fps, but this causes much annoyance and death.
It could be micro stuttering but whatever it is its very annoying and i keep freezing at important moments.
this also happens when vsync is disabled and i have 300fps
here are my specs

i5 3570k
nvidia 560ti
8GB ram 1600hz
windows 7 pro 64bit

i had the latest drivers for my gpu problem still persisted i updated to beta drivers problem is still there. i tried disabling multicore rendering as i read some people had similar problems but no resolve. please help i want to carry on playing

also, i tried lowering all graphical settings including the cpu multicore rendering but to no avail
December 2, 2012 7:05:59 PM

Donleo17 said:
hi there,
my game(counter strike source) FPS drops quite often and makes the game lag, its a quick drop in the frame rate and then it goes back up to 60fps, but this causes much annoyance and death.
It could be micro stuttering but whatever it is its very annoying and i keep freezing at important moments.
this also happens when vsync is disabled and i have 300fps
here are my specs

i5 3570k
nvidia 560ti
8GB ram 1600hz
windows 7 pro 64bit

i had the latest drivers for my gpu problem still persisted i updated to beta drivers problem is still there. i tried disabling multicore rendering as i read some people had similar problems but no resolve. please help i want to carry on playing

Your build (obviously) is enough to run CS:S on max settings with tons of FPS. That isn't the problem as you probably already knew. My suggestion would be to play as normal, but keep an eye on temperature. Spikes like those sometimes are related to overheating.

Also, is CS:S the only game this happens in? If it is, overheating is probably not the problem.
December 2, 2012 11:31:44 PM

chain220 said:
Your build (obviously) is enough to run CS:S on max settings with tons of FPS. That isn't the problem as you probably already knew. My suggestion would be to play as normal, but keep an eye on temperature. Spikes like those sometimes are related to overheating.

Also, is CS:S the only game this happens in? If it is, overheating is probably not the problem.

yes this is the only game this happens with.
but i will try to monitor my temps
Related resources
December 2, 2012 11:48:30 PM

chain220 said:

could this be a network issue of some sort? i am playing with bots now, 20 of them and the problem hast occured once. while when playing with only a few people online the problem is always there in almost every round.
i never had this problem before
December 3, 2012 1:17:23 AM

I'm not sure about network.. I believe there is a command you can put in the console for more graphs and network monitoring while in game, though I'm not sure what it is off-hand. I want to say it's something like cl_graph 1 or cl_netgraphs 1 or something like that.
December 3, 2012 12:49:19 PM

It's peculiar but source engine while being used to this day, hasn't been updated equivalently for all games that use it.

get a net graph going, and check if this could be a network issue.

Secondly if this is a new comp, go to your motherboard website and check for soundcard drivers.

update the dx9 files, from here (http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id...)

And lastly, check your GPU clocks, it's possible that the card has so little to do that it actually drops to power save mode for split moments.
December 4, 2012 9:07:49 PM

AntiZig said:
It's peculiar but source engine while being used to this day, hasn't been updated equivalently for all games that use it.

get a net graph going, and check if this could be a network issue.

Secondly if this is a new comp, go to your motherboard website and check for soundcard drivers.

update the dx9 files, from here (http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id...)

And lastly, check your GPU clocks, it's possible that the card has so little to do that it actually drops to power save mode for split moments.

i installed the latest drivers for my sound and reinstalled dx9 but the problem is still there. i guess its not a network issue either because it even happens when my latency is below 20
and i never had this issue before on this card. i dont see why it should be the issue.
December 5, 2012 4:55:08 PM

your latency could be low, but if your choke is high you could end up dropping packets, which is why you check with net graph.

never had this issue, then when did it start?
December 5, 2012 8:42:27 PM

AntiZig said:
your latency could be low, but if your choke is high you could end up dropping packets, which is why you check with net graph.

never had this issue, then when did it start?

It started when I reinstalled my windows. I did a fresh install, formatted the whole drive and installed everything necessary. I'll try the net graph thing when I get home. Thanks for trying to help btw. I wrote on so many forums but this is the only one that's responding

i started netgraph 3 but i have no idea what the hell im doing :/  i get all these numbers and a graph but i dont know what to do with the information
December 7, 2012 12:31:00 PM

there's a choke number, that ones is the most obvious to check, you want as close to zero as possible.

The rest you'd have to look for patterns of high latecy corresponding to low fps or something similar.

But before all that you need to determine whether this is actual FPS drops or network issues. I believe net graphs gives you an fps counter (if not there's a separate commend to enable fps counter, something like cl_showfps 1). Check for the stutters whether it's an fps drop or not.

Make sure you got your power settings set to maximum performance. And double check that you've installed all the applicable drivers (update the driver for intel IGP, check that you have all hardware identified in hardware manager)

if that doesn't help, and you're confident that your network adapter is working properly (how are you connected by the way? cable or wireless?)
pick a server that you can find the IP for, then run a trace to that IP and see if you get any packet loss.

!