RAMdisk and load times

buddypls

Honorable
Nov 21, 2012
I'm trying to run this game Path of Exile (Not sure if I'm allowed to link other sites here) off RAMdisk, yet I still get the same load times as when I used my HDD.
I moved the files in my Path of Exile folder to my RAMdisk partition (G:\), and created a junction through command prompt back to the original directory (C:\Program Files (x86)\Grinding Gear Games\Path of Exile\). My command looked like this :
mklink /j "C:\Program Files (x86)\Grinding Gear Games\Path of Exile" G:\
I ran the shortcut, with the path "C:\Program Files (x86)\Grinding Gear Games\Path of Exile\Client.exe\", which SHOULD lead to the RAMdisk partition due to the junction I created, but ingame, I had the same load times. Am I doing something wrong?

These are my HDD/Ramdisk benchmarks :

HDD:
CMlyh.png
Ramdisk:
ueyrH.png

weaselman

Honorable
Oct 27, 2012
You do know a ram disk acts like an SSD in theory, only it uses system memory not flash memory. You would have to install the program to the ram drive.
Linking the Exe to the ram drive would not change the the path to execute the program that is in fact sitting on the HD. It would just execute it to run from the HD.

majestic1805

Honorable
Oct 1, 2012
Configure Performance Monitor to log while you play the game and examine disk I/O once you're done. Continuing VoiidWulf's comment, if you then look at network I/O you should tell if that's the case as well.