ANSWER THIS ONCE AND FOR ALL

Willamette_sucks

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2002
TIZ TIME! The debate must come to an end.

What should I put on my 9800 Pro as a GPU cooler?

First I wanted a Crstal Orb, and I still might.
Gen says the crys the Crystal Orb sux (but so does he!), and he got a Vantec Iceberg for his 9500 Pro, but that thing looks like a POS and its smaller and crappier looking than the crystal orb.

I dont want to put something HUGE on there, but if theres a good midsized heatsink that would go nicely, please recommend something.

Please keep a $20 limit on the heatsink, S&H not included.
Ive already decided on Tweakmonster Ramsinks (rev. 2, not BGA) for the memory.

Also, I have another question. I want to put a heatsink on the back of my card like the Hercules card has. How should I go about doing that?
I could use ALOT of arctic silver epoxy all over the transistors and glue it on like that, would that be ok?
AS says that the stuff is virtually non-conductive and shoudnt cause a problem.
Hercules solution just sits above it and barely touches it, really lame if you ask me. It does get pretty hot back there so I want some efficient cooling.

Long live ATI.

svol

Champion
I dunno for the cooler as I always use watercooling.

Anyway as for sticking a hetasink at the back this is how I did it on my Ti4200: saw a small copper piece that is small enough to fit between the small electronic parts and is high enough. Glue it on the crad with thermal epoxy, let it dry and then glue a heatsink on the copper piece.

My CPU fan spins so fast that it creates a wormhole :eek:

marneus

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
watercooling or if U want a cheaper alternative a Zalman HP-80a then have a silent 80/90cm fan blowing across it...

Trust me I know what I'm doing... ooops, grab the cat... (Click me name to see me spec)