Can I upgrade from Win2K to XP on Compaq EVO D500 ?

I was given a Compaq D500 desktop as a gift. I want to upgrade the OS from
Win2000 to Win XP pro or Home Ed. I do not have any of the original disks
that came with the machine. Can it be done easily? Can anyone give me any
pointers on how to do it on this machine?

I am going to try to load the XP on a new hard drive and will save the old
hard drive, in case I crash and burn. It has a pentium 4, 1.5 mhz processor.
I have upgraded the memory to 1 gig.

Thanks!

Mark
4 answers Last reply
More about upgrade win2k compaq d500

    Try going here to download drivers for either XP Home or Pro for the D500:

    http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/EvoDesktop/us/family/model/2504.html?submit.y=7&submit.x=6&lang=en&cc=us

    HH

    "Mark Wilson" <mwilson2581@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >I was given a Compaq D500 desktop as a gift. I want to upgrade the OS from
    > Win2000 to Win XP pro or Home Ed. I do not have any of the original disks
    > that came with the machine. Can it be done easily? Can anyone give me any
    > pointers on how to do it on this machine?
    >
    > I am going to try to load the XP on a new hard drive and will save the old
    > hard drive, in case I crash and burn. It has a pentium 4, 1.5 mhz
    > processor.
    > I have upgraded the memory to 1 gig.
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > Mark

    If you do not have a Windows 2000 Pro install CD, you need to buy the "full"
    Windows XP package, either Home or Pro. Installation is not too hard. I can
    only anticipate that you will need to install some drivers for the motherboard
    chipset (install first), graphics, network and audio.

    Because the Compaq Evo D500 is a business class computer, HP's support is better
    than for the cheap consumer-grade computers. You can find all the drivers on
    the HP web site. Download them and burn them onto a CD BEFORE you start
    installing XP... Ben Myers

    On Fri, 1 Jul 2005 16:34:45 -0700, "Mark Wilson" <mwilson2581@hotmail.com>
    wrote:

    >I was given a Compaq D500 desktop as a gift. I want to upgrade the OS from
    >Win2000 to Win XP pro or Home Ed. I do not have any of the original disks
    >that came with the machine. Can it be done easily? Can anyone give me any
    >pointers on how to do it on this machine?
    >
    >I am going to try to load the XP on a new hard drive and will save the old
    >hard drive, in case I crash and burn. It has a pentium 4, 1.5 mhz processor.
    >I have upgraded the memory to 1 gig.
    >
    >Thanks!
    >
    >Mark

    Thanks for the info. It is very helpful, but it has raised some more
    questions. . .

    Ques 1: I have a full version of both Win XP pro and home. Both are several
    years old. I have loaded pro on another machine, but I have never loaded
    the Home I have. Will the age of the Pro and Home I have or the fact of my

    Ques 2: After I download and save the utilities to a CD, do I load them
    using my existing hard drive and Win2000 or do I load them after I remove
    the existing hard drive, but before I load the Pro or Home Ed. on the new
    hard drive? I am just not sure of the timing of of the intermediate steps.

    Thanks,

    Mark

    > If you do not have a Windows 2000 Pro install CD, you need to buy the
    "full"
    > Windows XP package, either Home or Pro. Installation is not too hard. I
    can
    > only anticipate that you will need to install some drivers for the
    motherboard
    > chipset (install first), graphics, network and audio.
    >
    > Because the Compaq Evo D500 is a business class computer, HP's support is
    better
    > than for the cheap consumer-grade computers. You can find all the drivers
    on
    > the HP web site. Download them and burn them onto a CD BEFORE you start
    > installing XP... Ben Myers
    >
    > On Fri, 1 Jul 2005 16:34:45 -0700, "Mark Wilson" <mwilson2581@hotmail.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >I was given a Compaq D500 desktop as a gift. I want to upgrade the OS
    from
    > >Win2000 to Win XP pro or Home Ed. I do not have any of the original disks
    > >that came with the machine. Can it be done easily? Can anyone give me any
    > >pointers on how to do it on this machine?
    > >
    > >I am going to try to load the XP on a new hard drive and will save the
    old
    > >hard drive, in case I crash and burn. It has a pentium 4, 1.5 mhz
    processor.
    > >I have upgraded the memory to 1 gig.
    > >
    > >Thanks!
    > >
    > >Mark

    Mark,

    No problem with the "age" of the software. The newer shrink-wrapped XP Home and
    Pro copies have SP2 applied, so you would need to update Windows after
    installing. Of course, with tons of patches and security fixes from Microsoft,
    you have to update anyway.

    After downloading and burning all the drivers & utilities onto a CD, install XP,
    then apply the drivers and utilities. The most important one is for network
    access, without which you can't access the Windows Update web site.

    .... Ben Myers

    On Sat, 2 Jul 2005 00:01:20 -0700, "Mark Wilson" <mwilson2581@hotmail.com>
    wrote:

    >Thanks for the info. It is very helpful, but it has raised some more
    >questions. . .
    >
    >Ques 1: I have a full version of both Win XP pro and home. Both are several
    >years old. I have loaded pro on another machine, but I have never loaded
    >the Home I have. Will the age of the Pro and Home I have or the fact of my
    >
    >Ques 2: After I download and save the utilities to a CD, do I load them
    >using my existing hard drive and Win2000 or do I load them after I remove
    >the existing hard drive, but before I load the Pro or Home Ed. on the new
    >hard drive? I am just not sure of the timing of of the intermediate steps.
    >
    >Thanks,
    >
    >Mark

    >> If you do not have a Windows 2000 Pro install CD, you need to buy the
    >"full"
    >> Windows XP package, either Home or Pro. Installation is not too hard. I
    >can
    >> only anticipate that you will need to install some drivers for the
    >motherboard
    >> chipset (install first), graphics, network and audio.
    >>
    >> Because the Compaq Evo D500 is a business class computer, HP's support is
    >better
    >> than for the cheap consumer-grade computers. You can find all the drivers
    >on
    >> the HP web site. Download them and burn them onto a CD BEFORE you start
    >> installing XP... Ben Myers
    >>
    >> On Fri, 1 Jul 2005 16:34:45 -0700, "Mark Wilson" <mwilson2581@hotmail.com>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> >I was given a Compaq D500 desktop as a gift. I want to upgrade the OS
    >from
    >> >Win2000 to Win XP pro or Home Ed. I do not have any of the original disks
    >> >that came with the machine. Can it be done easily? Can anyone give me any
    >> >pointers on how to do it on this machine?
    >> >
    >> >I am going to try to load the XP on a new hard drive and will save the
    >old
    >> >hard drive, in case I crash and burn. It has a pentium 4, 1.5 mhz
    >processor.
    >> >I have upgraded the memory to 1 gig.
    >> >
    >> >Thanks!
    >> >
    >> >Mark