Help on overclocking

BrianYu

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2002
I need help on overcloking my AMD XP 2000+ Revision B ( AXDA2000DUT3C 9708857240835 AIUHB 0314MPMW ) Is it better to increase the multiplier of the processor or the FSB in order to get a better and stable increase in clock speed? Im using Artic Silver 3 and Volcano 7+ , Asus A7V8X-X , 512MB DDR PC2100 Kingston.

Regards ,
Brian

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
Well usually with the Nforce boards its easier to just increase the bus speed, as the PCIAGP speed remains the same... But i notice you only have PC2100 ram. And thats quite likely to hold you back as increasing the FSB also increases the ram speed). So try raising the multiplier.

<font color=blue>Many modern games <b>must</b> be played multiplayer. And those you encounter online are, almost as a rule, <b>complete and utter cockmongers.</b></font color=blue> :frown:

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
Well the total Mhz is calculated by the bus speed multiplied by the (suprisingly enough) the multiplier :smile:

Increasing the bus speed is pretty easy to do on the Nforce2 boards, BUT if the bus is at say 180Mhz, then so is the ram. And you only have PC2100 ram which really limits the Bus speed you can use. (PC2100 = 133Mhz)
So try changing the multiplier, IF it lets you.

As for tips, here are my golden suggestions:
1. Good overclocking needs good components. A good board, cpu, ram & PSU.
2. Take your time. Try to only change one thing at a time, it will be easier to problem solve should something not work.
3. Increase your speed slowly, testing THOUROUGHLY as you go. Using one program is not thourough. Use as many as you have. Games, Movie compression programs, stress testing utilities, distributed computing tasks.

<font color=blue>Many modern games <b>must</b> be played multiplayer. And those you encounter online are, almost as a rule, <b>complete and utter cockmongers.</b></font color=blue> :frown:

BrianYu

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2002
wat is the cons if the ram is oni 133mhz while i overclock the motherboard fsb to 180mhz ( for example ). and thanx for explaining everything. :)

Regards ,
Brian

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
Well assuming you can do that, your CPU will be very starved of memory bandwidth.

Its been proven that you get best performance if the memory bandwidth equals the Bus speed.
Thus PC2100 is not what you should have for serious overclocking.

BrianYu

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2002
hmm, so tat means even im goin for nforce2 motherboard , the same situation will happen also? the processor will straved for RAM bandawith as well even i use nforce2 motherboard? and what increasing fsb hav to do with agppci?

Regards ,
Brian

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
Pretty much yes.
ZANd you dont have to worry about the PCI/AGP speed. its run seperately from the FSB so it stays at 33/66. (which is good)

BrianYu

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2002
can u recomend me any good stress testing utilities, distributed computing tasks ? and where to download it?thanx again :)

Regards ,
Brian

Civilized

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2001
sisoftsandra has a burnin utility which works pretty good but im sure there are better ones out there...

I also agree with pooba about the ram....I would invest in a couple sticks of pc3200 and drop the pc2100....it will seriously cut back your potential in overclocking the fsb...no pc2100 will have an easy time reaching 166mhz fsb and its life will be short =]...because you will have to pump the dram voltage way up to get it to run stably

<A HREF="http://dnadesignz.kicks-ass.net" target="_new"><b><font color=green>MY SYSTEM</b></font color=green></A>

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
Seti@home, UD cure for cancer, Folding@home, Toast, Sandra burn in, 3dmark etcetcetc.
<A HREF="http://www.google.com" target="_new">Google</A> is your friend!