Help to choose a router

Edvardas

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2002
I'm looking to buy a router. Because I'm sick of ICS. So I looked around me in the shops and what I found:
SMC Broadband Router 4-port 10/100 LAN + 1 WAN Port with Parallel Port for Print Server, ext power(model SMC7004ABR as I figured uot) $110
D-Link DSL/Broadband router DI604 with 4x10/100Mbits ports $70
D-Link DSL/Broadband router DI704P with 4x10/100Mbits ports +printer port+dial-up port $92
D-Link DSL/Broadband VPN router DI804V with 4x10/100Mbits ports $170
Target DSL/Broadband router SOHO-IS108 with 8x10/100Mbits ports +dial-up port $131
These prices are local so don't ask where did I get them. I cant use internet to buy :))
Which of them is the best price/performance??
I have 2 PC's and a primter. I prsonaly tend to SMC or DLINK. Which is more reliable and user friendly?

lagger

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2001
I would recommend the dlink 704p ( I have the non-P model and like it ok) or the smc ( they are so close that several ver.s of the firmware are compatible with each other ( in the amit releases)

<font color=red><b> It may be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others</font color=red></b>

Edvardas

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2002
D-Link DSL/Broadband router DI704P with 4x10/100Mbits ports +printer port+dial-up port $92
SMC Broadband Router 4-port 10/100 LAN + 1 WAN Port with Parallel Port for Print Server, ext power(model SMC7004ABR as I figured uot) $110
O.K.
other questions:
1. will any of these routers allow others to se my running servers(apache)?
2. what use of UPNP?

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
1) Both will, if you configure them that way. Internal access is off by default.

2) neither one is UPnP compliant, but it is not necessary as they are very simple to set up with an easily understood GUI interface.

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>

Edvardas

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2002
I was wondering what that UPNP does?

Is it possible with any of these routers to limit trafic??? Lets sau not more then 300Kbit\s for port 21 (FTP)?

Jeff68005

Distinguished
May 4, 2001
Of your choices AVOID DI604 based on <A HREF="http://www.dslreports.com/forum/dlink" target="_new"> Comments on DSLREPORTS forum</A> You can seach that forum for all the DLink models you are considering. <A HREF="http://www.dslreports.com/forum/smc" target="_new"> There is a separate forum for SMC units </A>
Your prices a bit high in USD. We have been blessed - we bought two DI704P for less that half your price (each) after rebate.
Even if you cannot shop the net, look at PriceWatch.com and Ebay.com just to get an idea of what is a fair price.

<A HREF="http://www.circuitcity.com/frame1.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@2095256820.1035517896@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccdhadcgihiihgecfngcfkmdffhdffk.0&upper=head.jsp&lower=frame2.jsp&department=Computer+Peripherals+and+Accessories&category=Modems+&+Networking&right=productsearch.jsp&left=leftchildcat.jsp" target="_new">Consider Siemens SpeedStream 4-port DSL/Cable Router $59.99</A> at Circuit City. Price Search elsewhere. Similar features to the DLink DI704P. The Siemens 2614 has had rebates up to $30.00 a couple of times. That was true when we bought ours.

I own and like both the Siemens and the DLink DI-704P. UPnP not necessary. Easy setup. After initial setup, simply plug in the additional computers Cat5e cables and reboot computers. Siemens unit has better setup instructions in terms of specific step by step and easy to understand for everything from Cable / DSL down to 56K modem. Siemems has 24 hour customer service/customer support toll free number.

Both have com and parallel printer connection on router and provide printer link to router software operation.
DLink DI704P website has setup directions for WinXP that avoids need for printer link to router software.

As a side note, we use WIN98 and XP. The routers will operate under either system but I prefer XP for the internet with or without any routher. The difference with no other changes is well worth Dual Boot costs in terms of Hard Drive space. Legal copies of XP Pro have shown up on the net for as little of $50.00 USD.

Every working computer must be improved .... or replaced ...

mammoth6

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2002
My recommendation is the 3Com dsl/cable gateway. It runs about $130 and has performed extremely well in my environment. The web configuration interface is well designed and works as expected. Comes with a 4 port switch and there is a model available which functions as a WAP as well.

Tommunist

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2002
anyone that has used the dlink 704p check out my thread as I have been unable to make this mofo work very well...I would appreciate any advice that anyone has. thanks.

It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.