text messages from Verizon

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
May 7, 2005 12:16:26 AM

Just an FYI for everyone. I received a text message today on my phone from
what I thought was a spammer. Called Verizon and it turned out they are
starting a new campaign where they send out free (yes, it won't cost you the
$.02 to receive it) messages promoting new services they offer. The reason
I thought it was spam because it came from a weird number (900-080-003417).

No need to respond to this message. Just thought I'd let people know if
they weren't already aware.

More about : text messages verizon

Anonymous
May 7, 2005 12:16:27 AM

J wrote:
> Just an FYI for everyone. I received a text message today on my phone from
> what I thought was a spammer. Called Verizon and it turned out they are
> starting a new campaign where they send out free (yes, it won't cost you the
> $.02 to receive it) messages promoting new services they offer. The reason
> I thought it was spam because it came from a weird number (900-080-003417).
>
> No need to respond to this message. Just thought I'd let people know if
> they weren't already aware.

Did they say whether you can opt out of those messages? OK, I understand
they're free, but there are situations where people still might not want them.

I have a major problem with them putting you on the list without your
permission in the first place, but that's a rant for another day. ;)

--New Order, "Bizarre Love Triangle"
Anonymous
May 7, 2005 12:16:28 AM

On Fri, 06 May 2005 14:43:04 -0700, Steve Sobol <sjsobol@JustThe.net>
wrote:

>Did they say whether you can opt out of those messages? OK, I understand
>they're free, but there are situations where people still might not want them.

Yeah, but on older phones, the instructions got cut off.

I can hear the conversation now.

Me: "I'm having to call to get opted out of your SMS sales
solicitation list. I couldn't do it using my handset, because the
instructions got cut off in the middle."

Sales Droid: "Well, sir, isn't that a good reason why you should go
ahead and update your phone today?"

Me: "No, jackass, your unsolicited message is the first one I've ever
gotten that was too long to be read on my phone. Send me another one
and I'll go to another carrier."

<click>
Related resources
May 7, 2005 2:47:44 AM

news:D 5go4g$h51$3@ratbert.glorb.com...
>J wrote:
>> Just an FYI for everyone. I received a text message today on my phone
>> from what I thought was a spammer. Called Verizon and it turned out they
>> are starting a new campaign where they send out free (yes, it won't cost
>> you the $.02 to receive it) messages promoting new services they offer.
>> The reason I thought it was spam because it came from a weird number
>> (900-080-003417).
>>
>> No need to respond to this message. Just thought I'd let people know if
>> they weren't already aware.
>
> Did they say whether you can opt out of those messages? OK, I understand
> they're free, but there are situations where people still might not want
> them.

Good point. I didn't even think to ask. I was more concerned whether
or not I was going to get charged. Yeah, I know, $.02 is nothing but it can
add up. I suppose if I start getting a lot of them and it bugs me then I'll
call up again to see if I can opt out of them. I guess this targeted
advertising thing is getting a bit nuts. Just wait until people are
implanted with chips. Then they'll find a way to beam ads right into our
brains. I can see it now. You're driving home, late at night, and BOOM,
suddenly right in your eyes is an ad for potato chips or deodorant. Off you
go into the ditch because you lost sight of the road. Laughable.

> I have a major problem with them putting you on the list without your
> permission in the first place, but that's a rant for another day. ;)
>
> --
> JustThe.net - Apple Valley, CA - http://JustThe.net/ - 888.480.4NET (4638)
> Steven J. Sobol, Geek In Charge / sjsobol@JustThe.net / PGP: 0xE3AE35ED
>
> "The wisdom of a fool won't set you free"
> --New Order, "Bizarre Love Triangle"
Anonymous
May 7, 2005 6:24:44 AM

On 2005-05-06, J <J@J.com> wrote:
> Just an FYI for everyone. I received a text message today on my phone from
> what I thought was a spammer. Called Verizon and it turned out they are
> starting a new campaign where they send out free (yes, it won't cost you the
> $.02 to receive it) messages promoting new services they offer. The reason
> I thought it was spam because it came from a weird number (900-080-003417).
>
> No need to respond to this message. Just thought I'd let people know if
> they weren't already aware.

I got it too. Mine came with a "reply with <whatever" to opt out. There was
no way I was going to reply and confirm to a spammer "yes theres someone at
this phone number who checks their text messages

May 7, 2005 6:26:37 AM

On 2005-05-06, The Ghost of General Lee <ghost@general.lee> wrote:

> The thing that really pissed me off about the SMS was at the end, it
> gave instructions on what to put in the reply to opt out of their
> list, but due to the limitations on my phone (which I think they knew
> beforehand), the message got cut off right at the part I needed to
> include. So now I have to call and talk with a sales droid to get
> permanently opted out of this "service".

if you kept the message, you can reply with just a "Q"

i dont know if it iwll work if you just send a "Q" to the sending address
if you havent gotten one yet (900-080-003417)
May 7, 2005 6:39:54 AM

If you are getting text messages from Verizon, you signed up to get them.

"J" <J@J.com> wrote in message news:ugQee.119$Ws6.42@trndny07...
> Just an FYI for everyone. I received a text message today on my phone
> from what I thought was a spammer. Called Verizon and it turned out they
> are starting a new campaign where they send out free (yes, it won't cost
> you the $.02 to receive it) messages promoting new services they offer.
> The reason I thought it was spam because it came from a weird number
> (900-080-003417).
>
> No need to respond to this message. Just thought I'd let people know if
> they weren't already aware.

May 7, 2005 12:30:20 PM

The Ghost of General Lee wrote:
> On Fri, 06 May 2005 14:43:04 -0700, Steve Sobol <sjsobol@JustThe.net>
> wrote:
>

>>Did they say whether you can opt out of those messages? OK, I understand
>>they're free, but there are situations where people still might not want them.
>

> Yeah, but on older phones, the instructions got cut off.
>
> I can hear the conversation now.
>
> Me: "I'm having to call to get opted out of your SMS sales
> solicitation list. I couldn't do it using my handset, because the
> instructions got cut off in the middle."
>
> Sales Droid: "Well, sir, isn't that a good reason why you should go
> ahead and update your phone today?"

The question is why would you ask sales about a CS issue?

> Me: "No, jackass, your unsolicited message is the first one I've ever
> gotten that was too long to be read on my phone. Send me another one
> and I'll go to another carrier."
>
> <click>

May 7, 2005 2:35:20 PM

I never knowingly signed up for them. When I called, they said it's some
new campaign they're running so I'm assuming that they will send these
messages out to all VZW users. I suppose there's a way to opt out but I
forgot to ask when I called. If I start getting too many, that's what I'll
do.

"Ben Skversky" <bskversky1@verizon.net> wrote in message
> If you are getting text messages from Verizon, you signed up to get them.
>
> "J" <J@J.com> wrote in message news:ugQee.119$Ws6.42@trndny07...
>> Just an FYI for everyone. I received a text message today on my phone
>> from what I thought was a spammer. Called Verizon and it turned out they
>> are starting a new campaign where they send out free (yes, it won't cost
>> you the $.02 to receive it) messages promoting new services they offer.
>> The reason I thought it was spam because it came from a weird number
>> (900-080-003417).
>>
>> No need to respond to this message. Just thought I'd let people know if
>> they weren't already aware.

May 7, 2005 2:35:21 PM

J wrote:
> I never knowingly signed up for them. When I called, they said it's some
> new campaign they're running so I'm assuming that they will send these
> messages out to all VZW users. I suppose there's a way to opt out but I
> forgot to ask when I called. If I start getting too many, that's what I'll
> do.

Sometimes they send useful messages too. A family member recently
received a "Please update your phone by dialing *228..." text message.
She hadn't updated the PRL in over a year and it was a good reminder.
Anonymous
May 7, 2005 11:31:47 PM

Ben Skversky wrote:
> If you are getting text messages from Verizon, you signed up to get them.

No, not necessarily. When I was with VZW I got a few promotional messages and I
*never* agreed to have them SMS me.

--New Order, "Bizarre Love Triangle"
Anonymous
May 8, 2005 12:58:40 AM

On Fri, 6 May 2005 17:47:49 -0700, "Quick"
<quick7135-news@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote:

> believe there is SMS and then there is Extended SMS.
>SMS is limited to 256? characters. The Extended or Ehanced
>gives you smiley faces kind of things, some animation, and I
>believe it increases the max size too.

Correct. VZW sent an extended SMS to a handset capable of only
standard SMS. I scrolled down to the end of the message, the phone
just wasn't capable of showing the opt-out instructions, as it *is* a
rather old phone. I tried to call CS, but they put me off onto data
support (which I knew was going to end in disaster), and I wound up on
hold for another 15 minutes, so I hung up. I'll just go into my local
store on Monday.
Anonymous
May 8, 2005 1:02:09 AM

On Sat, 07 May 2005 08:30:20 -0400, George <george@nospam.invalid>
wrote:

>> Sales Droid: "Well, sir, isn't that a good reason why you should go
>> ahead and update your phone today?"
>

>The question is why would you ask sales about a CS issue?

Because the message emanated from VZW's sales department. You do
realize VZW is heavily departmentalized, and often, the right hand
doesn't know what the left hand is doing, right?
Anonymous
May 8, 2005 10:24:27 AM

I have received messages from VZW for promotional items and one phone call
took care of the problem. I called CS and told them under no uncertain terms
was I ever to receive another solicitation txt msg and to this date (2 years
now) I have not received one at all.

news:D 5jtdk$492$2@ratbert.glorb.com...
> Ben Skversky wrote:
> > If you are getting text messages from Verizon, you signed up to get
them.

> No, not necessarily. When I was with VZW I got a few promotional messages
and I
> *never* agreed to have them SMS me.
>
> --
> JustThe.net - Apple Valley, CA - http://JustThe.net/ - 888.480.4NET (4638)
> Steven J. Sobol, Geek In Charge / sjsobol@JustThe.net / PGP: 0xE3AE35ED
>
> "The wisdom of a fool won't set you free"
> --New Order, "Bizarre Love Triangle"
Anonymous
May 8, 2005 12:47:28 PM

On Sun, 08 May 2005 06:24:27 -0500, Gary Fead wrote:

> I have received messages from VZW for promotional items and one phone call
> took care of the problem. I called CS and told them under no uncertain
> terms was I ever to receive another solicitation txt msg and to this date
> (2 years now) I have not received one at all.
Are customers being charged in any way for these SPAM messages,
including but limited to depleting any monthly allocation of free
messages?
--
Chuck Forsberg caf@omen.com www.omen.com 503-614-0430
Omen Technology Inc "The High Reliability Software"

The answer to this question (as long as Verizon sent it or called you) is
no, anyone else placing such call or sending such a message to you will
count against your minutes or text messages.

There is a place on the Text Msg website that you can block web based txt
msgs as well as e-mail based txt msgs. I've blocked web based but not e-mail
based as I very occasionally send myself a reminder message.

"Chuck Forsberg" <caf@omen.com> wrote in message
> On Sun, 08 May 2005 06:24:27 -0500, Gary Fead wrote:
>
> > I have received messages from VZW for promotional items and one phone
call
> > took care of the problem. I called CS and told them under no uncertain
> > terms was I ever to receive another solicitation txt msg and to this
date
> > (2 years now) I have not received one at all.
> Are customers being charged in any way for these SPAM messages,
> including but limited to depleting any monthly allocation of free
> messages?
> --
> Chuck Forsberg caf@omen.com www.omen.com 503-614-0430
> Developer of Industrial ZMODEM(Tm) for Embedded Applications
> Omen Technology Inc "The High Reliability Software"
> 10255 NW Old Cornelius Pass Portland OR 97231 FAX 629-0665

Anonymous
May 8, 2005 3:36:56 PM

In article <JFmfe.34417$fx3.3776@okepread02>, Gary Fead <gwfead@cox.net> wrote:
>I have received messages from VZW for promotional items and one phone call
>took care of the problem. I called CS and told them under no uncertain terms
>was I ever to receive another solicitation txt msg and to this date (2 years
>now) I have not received one at all.

A couple years back I received a call on my cell during the workday (the
only people who have my number are my family, and caller ID on the phone
always IDs the incoming call as such), but this call did not, but I
opted to answer it anyway. The caller asked how my service was, and a
few other questions, but I was in the middle of doing other things. I
think I caught them saying they were from Verizon, and it did strike me as
odd, since I've never received a random call from them like that.

A few weeks after, I received a new one-year contract with features and
terms I never asked for. A call to VZW CS showed the call. I made it
clear my home number is my only point of contact. The contract was
voided.

That was the end of it. Never received a soliciting text message that
I recall.

Scott
Anonymous
May 14, 2005 6:58:56 PM

On Sat, 07 May 2005 19:31:47 -0700, Steve Sobol <sjsobol@JustThe.net> chose
to add this to the great equation of life, the universe, and everything:

>Ben Skversky wrote:
>> If you are getting text messages from Verizon, you signed up to get them.
>
>No, not necessarily. When I was with VZW I got a few promotional messages and I
>*never* agreed to have them SMS me.

In the several years I've had digital phones, I've only received one VZW
spam... and it was in Spanish. (I took two years of Spanish in high school,
but that was over 20 years ago.)

http://home.att.net/~dwstreeter
"Frank, you keep putting your foot in your mouth, you'll get athlete's
tongue." - Capt. B.J. Hunnicutt
!