Margo5C

Over the last month or so, spyware and adware has become a major
problem with one of my computers and I end up spending a lot of time
just cleaning up!

Last week, a new problem surfaced. When I start one of my computers
(an older one that runs Windows 98), it takes forever for the windows
to come up. When I look at the process list, I find a software called
"Margo5C" running. As soon as I kill ths software, the windows comes
up normally.

Any ideas what this is and how I get rid of it?

I use a wirless network of Verzon DSL.

Sanjiv

Sanjiv Karmarkar schrieb:

> Over the last month or so, spyware and adware has become a major
> problem with one of my computers and I end up spending a lot of time
> just cleaning up!
>
> Last week, a new problem surfaced. When I start one of my computers
> (an older one that runs Windows 98), it takes forever for the windows
> to come up. When I look at the process list, I find a software called
> "Margo5C" running. As soon as I kill ths software, the windows comes
> up normally.
>
> Any ideas what this is and how I get rid of it?

Reinstall the complete computer and then set it up securely. That is the
only way to really get rid of spyware because you never know how many
backdoors have been installed that you don't know about.

And then think about how it got onto your computer:

- maybe you didn't keep your computer up-to-date with the current
security updates.
- you downloaded some software from the internet and installed it
- you use Internet Explorer and browsed to a website that uses some of
the vulnerabilites of IE to install it self.

As you can see, basically it is all up to you to keep your computer clean.

Gerald

Gerald Vogt <vogt@spamcop.net> wrote in message news:<Lw7sc.240878$M3.96487@twister.nyroc.rr.com>...
> Sanjiv Karmarkar schrieb:
>
> > Over the last month or so, spyware and adware has become a major
> > problem with one of my computers and I end up spending a lot of time
> > just cleaning up!
> >
> > Last week, a new problem surfaced. When I start one of my computers
> > (an older one that runs Windows 98), it takes forever for the windows
> > to come up. When I look at the process list, I find a software called
> > "Margo5C" running. As soon as I kill ths software, the windows comes
> > up normally.
> >
> > Any ideas what this is and how I get rid of it?
>
> Reinstall the complete computer and then set it up securely. That is the
> only way to really get rid of spyware because you never know how many
> backdoors have been installed that you don't know about.
>
> And then think about how it got onto your computer:
>
> - maybe you didn't keep your computer up-to-date with the current
> security updates.
> - you downloaded some software from the internet and installed it
> - you use Internet Explorer and browsed to a website that uses some of
> the vulnerabilites of IE to install it self.
>
> As you can see, basically it is all up to you to keep your computer clean.
>
> Gerald

Gee, that's very helpful! (-:

Anyone with any constructive ideas?

Sanjiv

I have exactly the same problem. I use Win 98 and starting up is a task
specially created for Job the patient! Whatever this Margo5c is keeps
my computer from booting properly and when I stop its action (whatever
it's doing I don't know) then windows starts. Can any body help?
--
Tam

On Mon, 31 May 2004 22:20:01 GMT, Tam
<Tam.1757u1@mail.webservertalk.com> wrote:

>I have exactly the same problem. I use Win 98 and starting up is a task
>specially created for Job the patient! Whatever this Margo5c is keeps
>my computer from booting properly and when I stop its action (whatever
>it's doing I don't know) then windows starts. Can any body help?

Have you tried running msconfig from the run menu and looking at the
startup tab to see if it is being started here? If it is look at the
path it gives and if it is not a valid app you want to keep, delete
it. Then reboot and remove the file (from the filepath you saw in
msconfig).