New Motorola V265 -- high pitched noise...

Last response: in Network Providers
May 6, 2005 5:31:30 PM

My wife and I just upgraded our phones to new Motorola V265's. From
the moment we turned them on we noticed one thing... they give off a
high pitch noise from the earpiece that drives us crazy!! We have 5
bars, and the squeal remains whether or not the backlight is on or
whether or not it's in a call.

I read other topics on Google Groups about different Motorola phones
(like the V60) that also have this high-pitch noise, and some of the
posters had returned their V60 three times and each time the new phone
had the same noise. Since both of our phones have the noise, I'm
thinking it may be "normal" for the V265, and if so I wouldn't want to
go through the hassle of trying to swap it for a different one, we'd
just go for altogether different phones. Anyone else experience the
whine on a V265?

(My previous phone, a Motorola V120e, didn't have anything annoying
about it, but I guess I took it for granted since it didn't have any
cool features either...)

Thanks,
Kevin
Anonymous
May 6, 2005 9:59:45 PM

Kevin wrote:
> My wife and I just upgraded our phones to new Motorola V265's. From
> the moment we turned them on we noticed one thing... they give off a
> high pitch noise from the earpiece that drives us crazy!! We have 5
> bars, and the squeal remains whether or not the backlight is on or
> whether or not it's in a call.
>
> I read other topics on Google Groups about different Motorola phones
> (like the V60) that also have this high-pitch noise, and some of the
> posters had returned their V60 three times and each time the new phone
> had the same noise. Since both of our phones have the noise, I'm
> thinking it may be "normal" for the V265, and if so I wouldn't want to
> go through the hassle of trying to swap it for a different one, we'd
> just go for altogether different phones. Anyone else experience the
> whine on a V265?
>
> (My previous phone, a Motorola V120e, didn't have anything annoying
> about it, but I guess I took it for granted since it didn't have any
> cool features either...)
>
> Thanks,
> Kevin

Definitely not normal. This is the first I have read about any whining
in the v265 and I've read practically every forum that has anything
about the v265. Frankly, it is the best cell phone I've used although
the Verizon crippling is a bit annoying at times. I'd return it in a
heartbeat with this kind of problem.

May 7, 2005 4:11:12 AM

Kevin, I posted this here on 4/29/05 (the whole thread is still there if you
look for it). Bottom line: get rid of that phone. My post doesn't address
the problem you're having, which is the first I've heard of, but I go into
detail about what I've found out about this phone. I'm currently waiting for
my dealer/his Verizon rep to take some kind of action.

Just got back from a Verizon Service Center and the Tech filled me in on the
whole sorry mess.

The V265 has a design flaw which permits dust to accumulate on the ear and
mouth pieces causing loss of volume at both ends.

Apparently neither Motorola, nor Verizon, took any time, whatsoever, to
field test this model. Mine lasted five weeks before it went out. There was
a lady in front of me in line at the Service Center with the same problem.
The Service Center received eleven brand new V265 phones this morning (after
being out of stock for weeks) and they have one phone left tonight after
replacing existing defective phones. That is the enormity of this problem.

Five freaking weeks of field testing would have identified this issue and
saved thousands and thousands of Verizon customers the headaches and loss of
use they are experiencing right now. The Verizon Tech's are getting the
pleasure of having to deal with irate customers and the Verizon dealers have
gotten calls about this issue as well.

So, for the clowns at Motorola and Verizon, thanks a lot! Jerks.
May 7, 2005 10:37:14 AM

Kevin wrote:

> My wife and I just upgraded our phones to new Motorola V265's. From
> the moment we turned them on we noticed one thing... they give off a
> high pitch noise from the earpiece that drives us crazy!! We have 5
> bars, and the squeal remains whether or not the backlight is on or
> whether or not it's in a call.
>
> I read other topics on Google Groups about different Motorola phones
> (like the V60) that also have this high-pitch noise, and some of the
> posters had returned their V60 three times and each time the new phone
> had the same noise. Since both of our phones have the noise, I'm
> thinking it may be "normal" for the V265, and if so I wouldn't want to
> go through the hassle of trying to swap it for a different one, we'd
> just go for altogether different phones. Anyone else experience the
> whine on a V265?
>
> (My previous phone, a Motorola V120e, didn't have anything annoying
> about it, but I guess I took it for granted since it didn't have any
> cool features either...)
>
> Thanks,
> Kevin

Take the phone back and get a replacement. Also call moto direct and see
if they know of any bad lots.

LB
Anonymous
May 7, 2005 8:43:21 PM

On 6 May 2005 13:31:30 -0700, Kevin wrote:

> My wife and I just upgraded our phones to new Motorola V265's. From
> the moment we turned them on we noticed one thing... they give off a
> high pitch noise from the earpiece that drives us crazy!! We have 5
> bars, and the squeal remains whether or not the backlight is on or
> whether or not it's in a call.

Most likely due to the display drivers. Take them back and try other ones
in the store. You might have to switch to another brand of phone.

Some people can hear high frequencies better than others. I probably would
not hear your noise <G>!
Anonymous
May 9, 2005 10:22:22 AM

Thanks for the replies, everyone. We kept our phones on all weekend,
and the whining noise has decreased. It is pretty much gone on my
wife's phone, but mine is still faint. She is planning on keeping
hers, but I made a 30 minute call on mine last night and had to keep
the earpiece an inch away from my ear, so I think I'm going to have to
return it. We both really like the phone though -- I hope I can find
another one without this problem.

(And I do acknowledge that I have taken pretty good care of my ears
throughout my life... so I'm not looking forward to going into a store
to return it, and saying to the tech "Don't you hear it... I hear it,
are you sure you don't hear it?!?"

Thanks,
Kevin
Anonymous
May 9, 2005 1:52:43 PM

Kevin wrote:

> Thanks for the replies, everyone. We kept our phones on all weekend,
> and the whining noise has decreased. It is pretty much gone on my
> wife's phone, but mine is still faint. She is planning on keeping
> hers, but I made a 30 minute call on mine last night and had to keep
> the earpiece an inch away from my ear, so I think I'm going to have to
> return it. We both really like the phone though -- I hope I can find
> another one without this problem.
>
> (And I do acknowledge that I have taken pretty good care of my ears
> throughout my life... so I'm not looking forward to going into a store
> to return it, and saying to the tech "Don't you hear it... I hear it,
> are you sure you don't hear it?!?"
>
> Thanks,
> Kevin

I have never been able to hear anything over about 12KHZ and I have never
been into loud anything. Sounds like you are the opposite side of the
coin.

LB
Anonymous
May 12, 2005 8:34:02 AM

This phone is no longer even listed at www.motorola.com

It's a piece of junk that never should have seen the light of day.

!