Kerio/Tiny problem

Hi all,

I recently tried to upgrade from Kerio 2.15 to 4.x. On installation,
it claimed, that there was still something left from Tiny PF and I
should remove it manually. Well, indeed, there is an entry in Windows'
add/remove panel named "Tiny Personal Firewall 2.0.15A (221001)". But
I can neither remove it nor do anything with it.

I suspect it to be a forgotten registry entry, but searching the reg
for *tiny* was to no avail, nor did RegCleaner find anything. Does
anyone have an idea, where this entry might be stored?

TIA :-)

--
Cheers
Peter

The Bat! v.2.11 Beta/6, on Win98, 4, 10, build 2222, PII at 200MHz, 64 MB RAM
4 answers Last reply
More about kerio tiny problem

    Peter Meyns wrote:

    > I recently tried to upgrade from Kerio 2.15 to 4.x. On installation,
    > it claimed, that there was still something left from Tiny PF and I
    > should remove it manually. Well, indeed, there is an entry in Windows'
    > add/remove panel named "Tiny Personal Firewall 2.0.15A (221001)". But
    > I can neither remove it nor do anything with it.

    > I suspect it to be a forgotten registry entry, but searching the reg
    > for *tiny* was to no avail, nor did RegCleaner find anything. Does
    > anyone have an idea, where this entry might be stored?

    Download and install tweak iu system tweaking program.

    This program comes with the Win9.x resource kit. However,
    you can find it invidually through search engines.

    Tweak IU has a tab for removing unwanted programs from
    your install/uninstall control panel feature. Do note
    it does not uninstall programs but simply deletes an
    entry from displaying. This will not cure your problem,
    however. You do have a registry entry somewhere.

    Be careful using Tweak IU. It is a very powerful program
    which will customize your Windows in many ways. Be sure you
    understand how it works, what it does and what results
    will happen if you use a feature.

    Run your regedit.exe and look for not only "tiny" but
    also the name of the company which makes that firewall.
    Very often you will find registry entries under the
    name of the company, not the name of the software.
    Search for all possible "terms" associated with Tiny
    Firewall and eventually you will locate all entries.

    Check your Windows\Temp directory for installer information
    related to Tiny Firewall. Get rid of it, if found. Many times
    problems come about because of lingering installer files,
    such as used by the MSI installer. Almost all temporary
    files can be deleted safely, but it is a good practice
    to look them over, just in case. Gozilla is an example.
    Gozilla creates temp files which should NOT be deleted.
    Illogical but Gozilla installs some of its needed files
    in Windows\Temp directory.

    Microsoft's resource kit is available for free at their
    website. Very hard to find but it is there. Run a search
    engine for the resource kit, you might find a complete
    package for downloading.

    If not, Microsoft maintains a ftp site with the resource
    kit and keeps the ftp URL well hidden. I think they have
    forgotten it is there.

    ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/services/technet/samples/ps/win98/Reskit/

    There is a challenge. What you see on that ftp page is the
    entire resource kit, but split into directories as installed
    by default for the original CD ROM retail version. You have
    to create all those directories / child directories on your
    hard drive, then download all file contents for each directory.
    Takes a long time to do this but well worth it. Once done,
    run "setup.exe" and the resource kit will be installed with
    a selection on your start menu, under "accessories" link.

    Years back, that resource kit had $80 price tag.

    Lot of very powerful tools in that resource kit, including
    Tweak IU. Microsoft quit distributing this kit because it
    allows users to modify windows in ways Microsoft later
    determined, they did not want, like killing off MSIE, AOL,
    MSN and other advertising media included in Win9.x versions.

    Your final cure will be to find all registry entries
    related to Tiny Firewall. This will take a bit of
    effort and time. Keep at it, you will prevail.

    Purl Gurl

    "Peter Meyns" <peterNOSPAM@meynsweb.com> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I recently tried to upgrade from Kerio 2.15 to 4.x. On installation,
    > it claimed, that there was still something left from Tiny PF and I
    > should remove it manually. Well, indeed, there is an entry in Windows'
    > add/remove panel named "Tiny Personal Firewall 2.0.15A (221001)". But
    > I can neither remove it nor do anything with it.
    >
    > I suspect it to be a forgotten registry entry, but searching the reg
    > for *tiny* was to no avail, nor did RegCleaner find anything. Does
    > anyone have an idea, where this entry might be stored?

    For what it's worth, it's my experience that you have to uninstall
    either to install the other.

    Purl Gurl schrieb:

    > Peter Meyns wrote:

    >> I recently tried to upgrade from Kerio 2.15 to 4.x. On installation,
    >> it claimed, that there was still something left from Tiny PF and I
    >> should remove it manually. Well, indeed, there is an entry in Windows'
    >> add/remove panel named "Tiny Personal Firewall 2.0.15A (221001)". But
    >> I can neither remove it nor do anything with it.

    >> I suspect it to be a forgotten registry entry, but searching the reg
    >> for *tiny* was to no avail, nor did RegCleaner find anything. Does
    >> anyone have an idea, where this entry might be stored?

    > Download and install tweak iu system tweaking program.

    Thank you, that did it. I could remove the entry with Tweak UI and
    install Kerio 4.16. I immediately found that I cannot really use it,
    probably due to my slow processor (200 MHz), but at least I could try.
    Now I'm back to Kerio 2.15. :-)

    Thanks for all the information. I'll see what else Tweak UI can do for
    me.

    --
    Kind regards
    Peter

    Alan Illeman schrieb:

    > "Peter Meyns" <peterNOSPAM@meynsweb.com> wrote in message

    >> I recently tried to upgrade from Kerio 2.15 to 4.x. On installation,
    >> it claimed, that there was still something left from Tiny PF and I
    >> should remove it manually. Well, indeed, there is an entry in Windows'
    >> add/remove panel named "Tiny Personal Firewall 2.0.15A (221001)". But
    >> I can neither remove it nor do anything with it.
    >>
    >> I suspect it to be a forgotten registry entry, but searching the reg
    >> for *tiny* was to no avail, nor did RegCleaner find anything. Does
    >> anyone have an idea, where this entry might be stored?

    > For what it's worth, it's my experience that you have to uninstall
    > either to install the other.

    Right. Tiny PF was uninstalled long ago. The only thing left was this
    entry in the add/remove panel, and I could now remove it with Tweak
    UI.

    --
    Kind regards
    Peter