Sign in with
Your question

Computer Freezes Playing Far Cry 3 and Battlefield 3

Last response: in Video Games
December 5, 2012 1:40:18 AM

Hey Guys, I've been having an issue lately. Ever since I replaced my Asus P5N-D motherboard with an Asus P5G41T-M LX Plus(my old board broke) Battlefield 3 has been freezing. I will play for between 5 minutes and 1 hour and then my computer will freeze up entirely, whatever audio was playing at the time will loop, and I will have to hard reboot my computer. I read a forum post suggesting that I use MSI Afterburner to underclock my GPU, this seemed to fix my problem with battlefield, although I haven't tested extensively. I started playing Far Cry 3 today and It had the same problem as battlefield, full computer freezes in roughly the same time frame. This time underclocking with Afterburner did not help. I played with a utility logging my CPU and GPU temps. The CPU never went above 48 and the GPU never went above 74. I thought maybe my vcore was too low, so I tried raising it. this still did not fix my problem. I play a significant number of other games and have never had this problem with any other game.

Specs:
Motherboard: ASUS P5G41T-M LX Plus
CPU: Intel Core2Quad Q9550 stock clock
GPU: Asus GTX 560 TI
PSU: Corsair 750W
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB
December 9, 2012 8:17:40 PM

Hi, I've also been getting this issue with Far Cry 3.

Specs are:

3930k at stock
Asus Rampage IV Extreme
8GB Corsair Dominator GT 2133Mhz
MSI GTX 580 Lightning
Corsair AX1200
Fully up-to-date Windows 7 HP 64

I have reverted everything to stock clocks, and even tried raising Vcore and RAM voltage. I still get random freezes. The image that was being displayed at the time of the crash is frozen on screen and I get an audio "buzzing" sound/audio looping. All my drivers are up-to-date. I am currently using Geforce beta driver 310.70.

What driver are you using OP?
m
l
December 9, 2012 8:18:54 PM

I should add that my temps were also well within safe operating ranges. CPU 50c, GPU 75c.

This is really frustrating me.
m
l
December 20, 2012 9:53:39 AM

STARGAZERLEON said:
Hi, I've also been getting this issue with Far Cry 3.

Specs are:

3930k at stock
Asus Rampage IV Extreme
8GB Corsair Dominator GT 2133Mhz
MSI GTX 580 Lightning
Corsair AX1200
Fully up-to-date Windows 7 HP 64

I have reverted everything to stock clocks, and even tried raising Vcore and RAM voltage. I still get random freezes. The image that was being displayed at the time of the crash is frozen on screen and I get an audio "buzzing" sound/audio looping. All my drivers are up-to-date. I am currently using Geforce beta driver 310.70.

What driver are you using OP?

Hi Stargazer, I'm using the beta drivers as well. I've also figured out the cause of my problem, and possibly yours. Upon further investigation I realized that the crashes only occurred when playing multiplayer. I did a bit of googling and found out that Punkbuster has had incompatability issues with certain Realtek onboard sound cards ever since BF: BC2. These compatibility issues cause the exact same problems you and I described. Unfortunately the only solution I've been able to find as of yet is to install a new sound card. Let me know if you find a better solution.
m
l
Related resources
!