Xbox 360 vs PS3

gimeabreak

Honorable
Dec 5, 2012
Hello, I note that Skyrim hangs and even locks up completely on occasion on my PS3. I've also noted other glitches that require me to load a previous save to negate. An example is that dead dragons kept dropping in the middle of Whiterun for no reason. I'm getting the Xbox 360 to see how it performs with this same game. Results may be interesting.

hoshicat

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2011
I have both. My old xbox360 finally gave up the ghost after around 7 years, so I bought a new one ... darn, if only it lasted one more year since I think they bring out the new xbox in 2013.

gimeabreak

Honorable
Dec 5, 2012

A reader suggested I get it on PC. The idea is to try a different format. I've been doing the PC thing since, hold onto your hats, my first brand new TRS 80. If you don't know what that is, it was basically a glorified calculator that weighed 45 pounds. So far the Xbox is outshining the PS3 by leaps and bounds. I have over 60 hours on Skyrim and haven't suffered one glitch. I also have noted that I am clearly able to make out the faces of NPC characters that I had previously thought where meant to be a bit fuzzy. I miss my Amazon connection though and still use the PS3 for that.

gimeabreak

Honorable
Dec 5, 2012

As you have both, have you tried the same game on both machines for comparison. Which one operated better? Which one gave you the better graphics or overall gaming experience?

fulle

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
Both the PS3 and the Xbox360 versions of Skyrim suck.

The Xbox360 version had big texture steaming issues, resulting in super-low res textures. Installing the game fixed the problem for many. PS3 users under certain Skyrim patch versions also got similar low res texture problems.

The Xbox360 version has fugly dithered shadows. The PS3 version has ugly flat looking shadows with flickering issues.

Load times suck for both. The PS3 users were able to mitigate the issue a bit by turning off auto-save, which sped up loading times.... to a point that I'd still consider completely unacceptable on my PC.

If both versions are running without texture problems, the Xbox360 version of Skyrim looks sliiightly better due to a better AA method being used. The PS3's method caused a little more blurring.

PC users had the typical huge amount of bugs associated with a Bethesda game... but the modding community had it handled almost immediately.

So.... it's just my opinion here, but playing Skyrim on anything but PC is doing it wrong.

If the game keeps locking up on the PS3, you may have some bad sectors on the hard drive or a corrupt database. Boot the PS3 into safe mode and perform a "repair the database". This seems to fix most lockup issues with my ps3. I've only had to do this twice in 3 or so years.