Sign in with
Your question

Worthwhile to replace a stock Intel fan/heatsink?

Last response: in Overclocking
June 14, 2003 6:10:20 AM

Ok, I haven't even looked at overclocking or cooling solutions since like '97 and before jumperless boards, so I would appreciate ANY input somebody's willing to give.

I've just recently built a 3.06Ghz Pentium 4 system and didn't realize that this particular chip actually broke the rule of running cooler than an AMD chip until I had it together. It idles around 52C, jumps up to 65C in a cool room and 68C without air conditioning. Now, Intel tech support has told me that I shouldn't worry as long as it's under 69C, but this is too close for comfort in my taste. I have 2 intake fans(front and side), 1 exhaust and a dual fan power supply and Intel's stock fan/heatsink. I do not intend to overclock this chip, so is it really worth the hassle to buy say an all copper heatsink or even step up to water cooling? I intend on using this computer for at LEAST 2 years if not closer to 4 or 5(I upgraded from a P3 500 which runs just as well now as the day I got it), so will this chip hold out that long at current temperatures? I have it running under load for half an hour or more, open it up and feel the heatsink, and it's warm but barely noticably so. I could keep my finger there as long as I please. I know it's making contact with the processor as I've had it apart 3 times, reapplying AS3 each time and there's always some compound stuck to the heatsink. I have a hard time believing it's not seated well as the motherboard has a specificly designed attachment for clips on all 4 corners and since I've installed it 3 times. Also, after I stop gaming, the temperature drops back down to its idle temperature easily within 30-60 seconds. I've read that motherboard sensors can be wildly inaccurate, so would this rapid temperature decrease after gaming indicate that or do chips just cool down that quickly? It takes probably around 5-10 minutes for it to reach that high temperature, but that's to be expected as far as I know. In the 2-3 weeks I've had it together and playing, I haven't experienced one crash or any significant system slow-down, so I could take the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" route.

Anyway, as I stated before, I have no current experience with cooling solutions, so any suggestions as to what IF anything would be required here would be greatly appreciated. I don't really like the idea of having to keep a water cooler constantly supplied, nor do I want to spend hundreds of dollars. I've read over the boards here and gotten some ideas, but some direct input would do wonders, I'm sure. Thanks for your input!
June 14, 2003 1:23:43 PM

This seems to be a common problem with a lot of people.
I am wondering if it associated with a specific motherboard and temperature reading utility.
What motherboard do you have and what utility are you using to view the temperature?
Intel cpu's have an 'on die' temperature diode. The temperature is the actual core temperature.

I have a P4 3.06 with stock heat sink on an Intel D850EMVR2L motherboard. Using the Intel temperature utility my cpu temp averages between 35 to 37C idle and 45 to 47C loaded. Room temp averages 22 to 24C.
All the P4 cpu's I have owned have operated in this temperature range.

<font color=red><i>Doctor Hooter</i></font color=red> <A HREF="http://www.page3.com/" target="_new"><b>(·Y·)</b></A>
June 14, 2003 11:54:34 PM

I've got an Asus P4SDX motherboard and am using MBProbe to read my temperatures while under load.
Is there any utility to access that core temperature read by the cpu itself?
Related resources
June 15, 2003 2:46:29 AM

I am not familiar with AsusProbe/MBProbe/Motherboard Monitor, etc. I don't know if these utilities read the temp from the cpu or the BIOS.
If I were you I would look into:
Updating the BIOS to the latest release.
Uninstalling the current monitoring utility and installing the latest version release of that utility.
I would browse ASUS hardware forums to see if anyone else is experiencing a similar problem and see if there are any recomendations to fix the problem.

<font color=red><i>Doctor Hooter</i></font color=red> <A HREF="http://www.page3.com/" target="_new"><b>(·Y·)</b></A>
June 15, 2003 3:07:11 AM

Thanks! When you mentioned those specific temperatures(I've never really gotten a straight answer at what "normal" temperatures are), I knew I'd seen those numbers some where. MBProbe has me pick which sensors to view, and there are three available. I chose the 2 that matched my motherboard and cpu temperatures from the BIOS, while the third displays almost exactly what you posted. It idles around 37C and under load it's about 54-55C. I'm almost positive it had been closer to 47C as I had set it to view as I thought it's what my motherboard temperature was, but I'm noticing that my cpu fan isn't spinning as fast as it had been. It had been getting up to 3600rpm, but now it won't break 3125 for some reason. It's plugged into the motherboard, so I assume the motherboard is supposed control how fast the fan is spinning, right? I'm sure that could easily have caused such an increase in temperature from 47C, so I may end up replacing it. I wish I knew exactly what temperature sensor reaches 65C, though. I might end up calling Asus now to find out. Again, thanks for your help!
June 15, 2003 3:24:42 AM

The fan has a thermistor underneath it to sense air temperature. As air temperature rises entering the fan the fan speeds up.
IIRC the fan runs at max speed at approximatly 35C. So by keeping the air inside your case cool the fan speed stays low.
I'm having a problem with my hardware sensor. It's measuring a couple of my fans at twice there rated speed.
Presently it showing my cpu fan running at 4232 rpm I suspect it's running at 2116 rpm.

June 15, 2003 3:41:56 AM

Ok, the last time I saw the fan running at 3600rpm for sure was when I was assembling it in a room without air-conditioning. It's now in a nicely cooled room and with an intake fan blowing almost exactly on it, so it'd make sense that it wouldn't be running as fast because of that, correct?

I've also read on a couple other boards that some people prefer not to plug cpu fans into their motherboard because they've burnt out the port on the motherboard doing so. I was wondering if that might be the case here as well, but that sounds slightly dubious as both the motherboard manual and processor manual say plug it into the motherboard. Have you ever heard of that before?
June 15, 2003 4:21:25 AM

Just out of curiosity, what monitoring program do you use? Just what's provided with Intel boards and is that available any where for download?
!