BF3 very low fps

mrtin281

Honorable
Dec 6, 2012
Hi,

Long time lurker, recently upgraded my system to this.

P8H77-v motherboard
i5 ivy bridge 3570k
8GB corsair vengeance RAM
GPU Ati radeon 5770
power supply is 750w

Monitor i use is my 37" tv if that has any relevance.

The frame rate is awful and from what i gather this GPU should play it. 0.5 whether at very high or very low settings.

mrtin281

Honorable
Dec 6, 2012
Damn, i was afraid of that. Thanks Brett, new card it is. Im using only the stock cooler and three case fans, temps seem to be 65 approx on idle, seems high.

Kamen_BG

Distinguished

Bro seriously.
Think before you post.

Yes, a HD 7970 would play Battlefield 3 very well at Ultra, but that doesnt mean that the HD 5770 can't run it on low.
The HD 5770 can actually play Battlefield 3 @ 1080p at high with more than 30 FPS avarage.
The HD 5770 is by no means ancient its marely 2 years old.

And now for the post.
Reinstall the game and your graphics card's drivers.It may help.

65C is very high for idle with no overclock assuming its the cpu temp also if you are getting the same FPS at all settings its likely the CPU is overheating and throttling causing the low FPS. Run task manager when playing and see if the CPU gets to 100% useage and run HWMonitor to check the max temp it reaches. If the CPU reaches 100% useage then its a heat problem and you could try reinstalling the heat sink with new thermal paste or getting a better cooler.

bc5

Honorable
Dec 5, 2012
For a more cost-effective option that can still handle anything at 1080p, AA and high settings, GTX660 is a really excellent option. I'm using an even more ancient Radeon than you (since my newer one broke!), but higher end for its time, so same speed as your's. I wouldn't try Battlefield 3 on it though. It did Borderlands 2 pretty well at 1080p, MSAA and high, but with some slowdowns. I'm buying a new card next year so holding off on the more demanding games until then.

However, it might not be a graphics card problem after all. Despite he would have to upgrade if he wants to play at max settings, something is definitely wrong with his PC if he's getting 0.5 fps on lowest settings. I think it would be wise fixing that first before spending money on upgrades.

@OP: what did you upgrade exactly? Is anything overclocked? Did you reinstall windows when you upgraded the PC?

mrtin281

Honorable
Dec 6, 2012
I changed the fans in the bios to turbo, got it down nicely. Used OCCT and my temps are normal now, a bit chilly even. Defrag'd the hard drive (haven't upgraded this yet but formatted it) and i could play bf3 on low reasonably well. Ill consider upgrading the card very soon, willing to fork about £150 if any has any suggestions?

jemm

Distinguished
God move mrtin281! :)

Still have a closer look at you cpu cooler -- you have an excellent system (apart from the video card); it deserves a after market CPU cooler like COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO http://www.scan.co.uk/products/cooler-master-hyper-212-evo-4-heat-pipes-direct-contact-with-120mm-quiet-fan-lga775-1155-1156-1366-a

For around £150 you should be able to get an EVGA NVIDIA GeForce 650Ti SSC PCI-E Graphics Card - 1 GB http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/evga-nvidia-geforce-650ti-ssc-pci-e-graphics-card-1-gb-19338688-pdt.html

mrtin281

Honorable
Dec 6, 2012
Ill buy that heat sink if i ever consider overclocking, thank you for the link. I only have a mid tower case i bought cheap from amazon (vantage saturn) nice case good airflow if the harddrive doesnt fit as well as it should, i doubt there would be enough space to install a heat sink. I would perhaps need to cut a square from the sidepanel.

Thanks for the help and suggestions gents, really helped with my first full build.

Generally the 212 Evo will fit in the case if it has a 120mm rear fan though you will likely need to remove the side fan. The radeon 7850 2Gb and even 1Gb is much better than the 650Ti see
average%20perf.png

mrtin281

Honorable
Dec 6, 2012
Hey again guys my hardware is overheating randomly again, rather odd. 40 odd on idle and when i get it going on eve or ARMA 2 it was up to 79. the fans are still set to turbo :/

Commandermadi

Honorable
Dec 13, 2012

30 fps? You must be kidding me. For a gamer, anything below 60 is terribly annoying.