Problem with friends computer

ronukon

Honorable
Dec 5, 2012
My friend owns a HP Pavilion HPE h8-1234 desktop which is brand new and I own a Toshiba Satellite L775 laptop. The problem is that his computer tops mine in every single way yet still has problems with games I don't. When he plays them, moving the camera around ingame cause it to be choppy and difficult to play (not very smooth) yet if standing still its fine. Examples of games are Skyrim, Forge (not a too graphically intense game) and a few others. I am trying to find a way to fix the problem for it but can't come up with anything because the specs of the computer seem perfectly fine. If you need the specs for either I can link them and such, any help would be appreciated.

Labrynthian

Honorable
Oct 9, 2012
Yes the GPU is the graphics card. Go to "start" and search for dxdiag and run it. Then paste the information here. I think it's a problem with the display settings. Both the resolution and graphics card seem to be wrong for the games.

ronukon

Honorable
Dec 5, 2012
So can you suggest what I should do to fix this problem? I mean what type of graphics card would be able to keep up with the current games in that case and how would I go about fixing the resolution?

Labrynthian

Honorable
Oct 9, 2012
I can't suggest anything without having all the information, which for some reason, you're not posting... I've asked you once what the computer specs are, and then I've told you how to get the information I need. You've done absolutely nothing to post the necessary information. Why post a forum when you're unwilling to respond? Either post the required details, or delete this thread.

jay_nar2012

Distinguished

Soda-88

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011

Why are you suggesting old cards... 7750 and 650 come at the same price, offer better performance and lower power consumption which means he won't need to upgrade PSU most likely.

Labrynthian

Honorable
Oct 9, 2012

It's a desktop. Which means if YOU had any brains, you'd know that he could have customized any part of it at any point in time. Yes, it IS his friends computer, which ALL THE MORE REASON why he should get the specs, because he probably has no idea what his friend has or hasn't changed. Stop inflicting your ignorance on the world, thanks. :)

jay_nar2012

Distinguished
And if his friend did 'customize it', his friend wouldn't ask the OP for help and there is the fact that his friend is having frame rate issues that shows that the computer is still using stock parts, the 7450 wouldn't be able to handle BF3 very well even on low quality settings, you would need a low res for it to be playable (1024x768 for example).

your friends pc runs a 1080p screen on a weaker gfx card than your onboard gfx. his cpu may have more cores but its actually weaker per cycle than yours so the end result is your pc is actually stronger than his... he should try to run his games at 1600/900 and no higher...
the 7450 is a video card with only 160 shader units which is comparable to about 16 nvidia cuda cores, so it performs about as well as the lowest end video cards like the 8400gt and about 70% shy of real gaming performance gfx cards.
yours aint muchh better but it is better. having the intel 3000 will allow you to play some games at medium low if you stay below 1600/900 which you will have to any ways as thats your max screen size.
the fx6120 is a pants cpu. it claims to be a 6 core when in fact its a tri core with 6 threading modules and it shares its maths between 2 threading modules. this results in a severe efficiency drop. so much so it falls well below yours on single and dual threaded apps like most games.

weaselman

Honorable
Oct 27, 2012
when we talk about a GPU there are a few conditions as to why game play may be choppy.
The higher the number rating in a card means it has more power, lower model cards tend to have less power or pxiel shader cores. But they can also have a lower memory size on the card to store in game textures for the game running. Another thing you will find on lower spec cards is the size of the memory bus, for example 128 bit memory interface vs a 256bit interface or memory bus width. And a slower type of Graphic card memory, and the memory size amount to store textures. All of these factors can be a cause as to why the card will run badly in a game. The solution is usally to lower the screen resolution of the game and turn off some features in the game to balance the load placed on the card.

ronukon

Honorable
Dec 5, 2012
For starters its a brand new computer like a month old with no modifications total stock. So we just tried changing his resolution even down to 640x480 and turned off every setting involving graphics we could find and it seemed to help it but he still had the problem. Which would leave changing the graphics card right? What I dont understand is my radeon 5830 (on my own desktop) and my radeon 6480 (on my laptop) still run things more smoothly then his radeon 7450. I don't see how replacing something that is newer and I would think stronger would fix the problem.

because they are better cards as far as gaming goes. with amd its the numbers that are important.
1s you get over the 5800 series as they were the first gen of dx11 cards amd changed there naming conventions after there release so some higher numbered caqrds were actually weaker.
the higher the first 2 numbers the newer the cards the lower the second 2 numbers the less power they have so in reality both your other cards are more powerfull then his 7450 74 is lower that 77 sor its a low end version of the 7 series.
its a 50 which puts it lower than the 70's and 80'f of that series. so even though your 6480 is a lower over all number its a 480 compared to his 450 which means it may well be a lower overall series of card but its still more powerfull...
like i said it doesnt quite have the same meaning with the 5800 series cards as they are a different design. like i say the naming convention is a bit odd and is confusing but if you look at the gaming gpu charts you will see a pattern of what cards are rated above and below other cards.

bsaically your friend fell into a common trap andf got shot changed by a fair amount... he bought junk on the promise it was decent so if i were him i would consider sending it back under the guise he was miss sold a pc that wasnt it for the job it was advertised to do. ie play games.

ronukon

Honorable
Dec 5, 2012
Okay, yeah I warned him about them telling him lies and didn't listen and this was the outcome. At this point I believe it might be to late to return it so what graphics card would you advise for his system? Able to play games but on the cheaper side if you have any suggestions.