What causes an SNES RPG save to get erased?

Archived from groups: alt.games.final-fantasy (More info?)

Is it that the system is getting old (sometimes I have to turn the power on
and off just to get it going)? Or is it the battery inside the cartridge?
2 answers Last reply
More about what snes save erased
  1. Archived from groups: alt.games.final-fantasy (More info?)

    Swelter Weight wrote:
    > Is it that the system is getting old (sometimes I have to turn the
    > power on and off just to get it going)? Or is it the battery inside
    > the cartridge?

    Most likely the battery inside the cartridge.

    The contacts themselves on the cartridge oxidize (another fancy word for
    rust) over time and that could cause problems but not the kind you mentioned
    (erasing saves). There are kits available for cleaning contacts or at least
    there used to be.
  2. Archived from groups: alt.games.final-fantasy (More info?)

    On 2005-09-12 10:59:31 -0300, "Swelter Weight" <drok@yahoo.com> said:

    > Is it that the system is getting old (sometimes I have to turn the
    > power on and off just to get it going)? Or is it the battery inside
    > the cartridge?

    Usually the battery. However, turning the system on and off repeatedly
    is also known to cause battery-saved info to erase (it's how I used to
    have to clear my Romance of the Three Kingdoms 3 info from the cart,
    since it didn't have a memory clear function). It's also why NES games
    told you to hold reset while you powered the system off.

    - Avenger

Final Fantasy Games RPG Video Games