What causes an SNES RPG save to get erased?

Last response: in Video Games
September 12, 2005 5:59:31 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.final-fantasy (More info?)

Is it that the system is getting old (sometimes I have to turn the power on
and off just to get it going)? Or is it the battery inside the cartridge?

More about : snes rpg save erased

Anonymous
September 13, 2005 3:32:26 AM

Swelter Weight wrote:
> Is it that the system is getting old (sometimes I have to turn the
> power on and off just to get it going)? Or is it the battery inside
> the cartridge?

Most likely the battery inside the cartridge.

The contacts themselves on the cartridge oxidize (another fancy word for
rust) over time and that could cause problems but not the kind you mentioned
(erasing saves). There are kits available for cleaning contacts or at least
there used to be.
September 13, 2005 5:59:34 AM

On 2005-09-12 10:59:31 -0300, "Swelter Weight" <drok@yahoo.com> said:

> Is it that the system is getting old (sometimes I have to turn the
> power on and off just to get it going)? Or is it the battery inside
> the cartridge?

Usually the battery. However, turning the system on and off repeatedly
is also known to cause battery-saved info to erase (it's how I used to
have to clear my Romance of the Three Kingdoms 3 info from the cart,
since it didn't have a memory clear function). It's also why NES games
told you to hold reset while you powered the system off.

- Avenger
!