Battlefield 3 problem on high end PC

pcsuperhero

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012
I appreciate any help on this very strange stuttering problem with Battlefield 3.

Firstly, here are my specs:

Processor: Intel Core i7-3930K @ 3.20GHz
GPU: GeForce GTX 670
RAM: DDR3 Corsair Dominator Platinum 16.0 GB 1600Mhz
Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional
Boot Drive: Samsung 120GB SSD (I also have Battlefield 3 installed here)
Hard Disk Drive: Western Digital 1TB

Here is there clarification of what the game is suffering through:

The game runs consistently at 40-120 fps on all Ultra specs, except on certain maps such as Grand Bazaar, Operation Metro, and one other map (I forgot which one). Although the frame rate runs at 40-120 fps most of the time, there are short-lasting dips in the fps about once every second as if the game is stuttering. The stuttering effect is exacerbated when I quickly turn around or make any quick aiming movements, especially raising my aiming from head level to the sky and back down. Again, this problem happens only on the few maps I mentioned. Also, this stuttering in present in all parts of those maps (enclosed spaces or outdoor settings).

I tweaked around with the game graphics settings to narrow down the problem with no avail. Most interestingly, the stuttering was still just as present even after turning down every graphics settings (including resolution) to their lowest. I tried overclocking my cpu to 4.0GHz - stuttering was still present. I played around with page file sizes and allocation - stuttering was still present.

No other game I have played on this PC suffers through this problem.

One last thing, all my drivers are up-to-date.

solidsteel

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2009
The maps you listed do have a history of frame drops. My friend is running an FX-8150/ 6870 rig and experiences some frame drop on Grand Bazaar. I think it has to do with the increased fog particles in the air and/or the increased intensity of the scene.

pcsuperhero

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012

I find that very interesting, considering that I haven't experienced frame-drops in some other intense maps such as Caspian Border or the new maps of Aftermath (BF3 expansion).