Windows 7 or Windows 8

definition02

Honorable
Nov 20, 2012
Hey guys, I have been going back and forth on whether to get W7 or W8 for my new PC build.
The rig Im building is mostly for gaming such as far cry 3, bf3, arma 2 and 3, etc....and Im wondering which would be better??
I like that W8 has dx11.1 for future games but also have heard of MANY compatibility issues with present games..
W7 is great O.S for gaming but I will eventually have to get W8 because of DX11.1 wont I???

I thought I could get some opinions here, so which would you choose,W7 or W8???

DirectX 11.1 is getting backported into Windows 7. Windows 8's rather poor sales means that this has to be done, or nobody will use the API. DX 11.1 is only a very minor update anyway, so there won't be any huge changes that would really cause anyone to rush out to get Windows 8 if it were exclusive to that OS.

Windows 8 is also still a bit buggy with certain games right now, so it may not be the best choice depending on the titles you want to play.

For desktop systems that are powerful enough for gaming, there really isn't any real benefit to having Windows 8 unless you have a touchscreen monitor, or you really want the built in disk imaging utility that Windows 8 has.

The Stealthinator

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2012
Stick with Windows 7 if your running games released in the last 2-3 years. If you have slightly older games, Vista might be better than 7 but not 8. 8 will not play your games as well because it is a new release and bugs are still trying to be fixed.

iGGY-101

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2011
Windows 8 is a little buggy with some games at the moment, as said above.
Windows 8 also feels like it is made for touchscreens and tablets... so unless you have a touch screen computer, it will feel really weird on your setup.
Windows 7 is really reliable and the whole DX11.1 will come out on Windows 7 soon enough, but you probably aren't missing out on much as it is a minor update and nothing ground breaking.

Go with Windows 7!

sscultima

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012
I will agree that win7 is probably a better choice for you at the moment.

i currently use win8, just put on start8 and been using it for some time. I personally have not had any issues with any of my games yet, but then again i have a lot that i still need to even try.

The Stealthinator

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2012
There is no reason to go for 8 yet if you're gaming. 7 can run almost all the games you need. If you have an older one compatible with XP or 2000, you have the option to use Windows XP mode (if you have Pro or Ult) or change the compatibility settings. 8 is more buggy with games.

juman

Honorable
Mar 29, 2013
never go fo r windows 8 .....it won't support maximum games and microsoft live games like batman arkham city, resident evil will never support .....i only have win 8 and planning to go for win 7

Bobby De Chinees

Honorable
Apr 16, 2013
Stick with windows 7, it is foolproof and works well enough for all your games. Windows 8 sucks, it is realy bad. Its buggy and the design is even worse. Wait for windows 9 or something but avoid windows 8.

mahidoes

Honorable
Jun 14, 2012
Please do not listen to others. Do good get the latest. Windows 8 64bit all the way. People hate windows 8 for two reason one it doesn't have start menu (Some old farts need it for some reason heck we don't need it) and the common problem loading directly in to metro.. Who cares.. Just put your short cuts in to metro.. it works like a 3rd party dock....

Again Win 8 win 8.. Eventually any way you are going for it.. Why not today? Better learn the future ASAP

If you want to save some ram while compromising security (Unless you install a antivirus) go for XP not 7. Win 8 is just the update of win 7. So there is no wiser reason choosing win 7 thinking it less resource eater actually
win 8 is better. i used all Windows OS and researched them from windows 98

RyQril

Distinguished
May 11, 2012
@mahidoes, saying "Please do not listen to others" is kinda offensive, everyone has his own opinion..

anyway, i didnt say that i dont like win8, i really love it with the new features and the new system files making it more faster, but from my experience win8 not friendly with games specially with old ones, still got few problems and thirdparties wont/did not fully fix it, and microsoft need to do more work on that, from your explanation you did not seem to have that good experience with win7 seems like you were XP user and went for win8, besides he got a new gaming built so its obvious to have more than 2gb of rams.

DJRWolf

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2009
I, myself, have adapted to the new UI well on my touch-screen Surface RT, but like a number of business users, I find the new UI more of a curse on non-touch-screen machines. As a result, I am still running Windows 7 on two of my three Windows devices.

Where the quote came from:
http://www.zdnet.com/microsofts-windows-8-plan-blue-bring-back-the-start-button-boot-to-desktop-7000014075/

Plus one more thing to remember, software is being sold for $30 to give Win8 back it's start menu. If software is being sold for money to add a start menu...something is wrong with the Windows 8 UI. From what I understand, "under-the-hood" Windows 8 is fine; it is just totally hampered by a bad UI.

caponewgp86

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009
Honestly Ive been using Windows 8 at work for the past 2 months and have really started to like. Been looking to install it on my Windows 7 machine at home. Mainly the faster boot up time is pretty impressive. My work computer with a standard hard drive boots almost as fast as my Corsair 120gb ssd with Windows 7 at home. I also like the better mulitimonitor support. Lastly the use of the Windows key. In Windows 8 you can pretty much do anything just by using the Windows Key.

James LaRosa

Honorable
Apr 27, 2013
The two halves of the OS may feel rather disjointed, but Windows 8 is fast and does a lot of things better than Windows 7. by the way. i've done this already. check out frinzee.com and make your calls official

DJRWolf

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2009
caponewgp86, James LaRosa
Windows 8 "under the hood" is better then Windows 7. It is just cursed with such a drastically different UI that it has a bad rap. If Microsoft does make Service Pack 1 give it an option to have a Windows 7 type UI I would upgrade to 8. But until then I'm sticking with the UI that I know and work better with.

Also if you guys think this UI argument is bad. Just take a look at the Linux side and there you'll see a fight between many different UI's. One that is close to the Windows 8 UI is Unity.

kpamkar

Honorable
Apr 5, 2013

Heyyy windows 8 is damn awesome u know that
I had many lagging issues wit battlefield 3 on win7 u noe that
I was not able to run it at even 1024x600 resolution but now i can run it on 1280x720 smoothly on mid setting
Dont blame win8 win7 is crap

TRENDING THREADS