Sign in with
Your question

Windows 7 or Windows 8

Last response: in Video Games
December 7, 2012 2:24:56 AM

Hey guys, I have been going back and forth on whether to get W7 or W8 for my new PC build.
The rig Im building is mostly for gaming such as far cry 3, bf3, arma 2 and 3, etc....and Im wondering which would be better??
I like that W8 has dx11.1 for future games but also have heard of MANY compatibility issues with present games..
W7 is great O.S for gaming but I will eventually have to get W8 because of DX11.1 wont I???

I thought I could get some opinions here, so which would you choose,W7 or W8???

More about : windows windows

December 7, 2012 3:16:43 AM

DirectX 11.1 is getting backported into Windows 7. Windows 8's rather poor sales means that this has to be done, or nobody will use the API. DX 11.1 is only a very minor update anyway, so there won't be any huge changes that would really cause anyone to rush out to get Windows 8 if it were exclusive to that OS.

Windows 8 is also still a bit buggy with certain games right now, so it may not be the best choice depending on the titles you want to play.

For desktop systems that are powerful enough for gaming, there really isn't any real benefit to having Windows 8 unless you have a touchscreen monitor, or you really want the built in disk imaging utility that Windows 8 has.
m
l
a b * Windows 8
December 7, 2012 10:41:22 PM

Stick with Windows 7 if your running games released in the last 2-3 years. If you have slightly older games, Vista might be better than 7 but not 8. 8 will not play your games as well because it is a new release and bugs are still trying to be fixed.
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
a b * Windows 8
December 7, 2012 10:44:14 PM

Hi :) 

Search this forum for gaming and 8....you will soon choose 7 , once you have read all the problems with 8 and games...

All the best Brett :) 
m
l
December 8, 2012 2:06:18 PM

Windows 8 is a little buggy with some games at the moment, as said above.
Windows 8 also feels like it is made for touchscreens and tablets... so unless you have a touch screen computer, it will feel really weird on your setup.
Windows 7 is really reliable and the whole DX11.1 will come out on Windows 7 soon enough, but you probably aren't missing out on much as it is a minor update and nothing ground breaking.

Go with Windows 7!
m
l
December 8, 2012 2:11:27 PM

I will agree that win7 is probably a better choice for you at the moment.

i currently use win8, just put on start8 and been using it for some time. I personally have not had any issues with any of my games yet, but then again i have a lot that i still need to even try.
m
l
December 14, 2012 2:10:50 PM

*begins chanting*

SEVEN SEVEN SEVEN!!!!!!

*Ends Chant*

lol sorry i had to :) 
m
l
a b * Windows 8
December 14, 2012 10:05:49 PM

There is no reason to go for 8 yet if you're gaming. 7 can run almost all the games you need. If you have an older one compatible with XP or 2000, you have the option to use Windows XP mode (if you have Pro or Ult) or change the compatibility settings. 8 is more buggy with games.
m
l
March 29, 2013 7:44:49 AM

for gaming go for windows 7!now i am thinking it again why to go with windows 8?
m
l
March 29, 2013 8:36:06 PM

Go for 7 or XP you gonna need those RAMs
m
l
March 29, 2013 10:58:03 PM

never go fo r windows 8 .....it won't support maximum games and microsoft live games like batman arkham city, resident evil will never support .....i only have win 8 and planning to go for win 7
m
l
April 16, 2013 6:33:40 PM

Stick with windows 7, it is foolproof and works well enough for all your games. Windows 8 sucks, it is realy bad. Its buggy and the design is even worse. Wait for windows 9 or something but avoid windows 8.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
a b * Windows 8
April 16, 2013 11:08:36 PM

Win 7 gets my vote.

Or go retro with Win XP. But you cannot get DX10 or DX11 effects... and you are basically limited to under 4GB of RAM unless you go Win XP 64-bit, but that lacks driver support...
m
l
April 16, 2013 11:50:49 PM

am a win8 and win7 users (2 desktops and 1 laptops), from my experience for gaming i prefer win7 x64 as its problems free
m
l
April 18, 2013 7:30:45 PM

Please do not listen to others. Do good get the latest. Windows 8 64bit all the way. People hate windows 8 for two reason one it doesn't have start menu (Some old farts need it for some reason heck we don't need it) and the common problem loading directly in to metro.. Who cares.. Just put your short cuts in to metro.. it works like a 3rd party dock....

Again Win 8 win 8.. Eventually any way you are going for it.. Why not today? Better learn the future ASAP

If you want to save some ram while compromising security (Unless you install a antivirus) go for XP not 7. Win 8 is just the update of win 7. So there is no wiser reason choosing win 7 thinking it less resource eater actually
win 8 is better. i used all Windows OS and researched them from windows 98
m
l
April 19, 2013 11:53:39 AM

@mahidoes, saying "Please do not listen to others" is kinda offensive, everyone has his own opinion..

anyway, i didnt say that i dont like win8, i really love it with the new features and the new system files making it more faster, but from my experience win8 not friendly with games specially with old ones, still got few problems and thirdparties wont/did not fully fix it, and microsoft need to do more work on that, from your explanation you did not seem to have that good experience with win7 seems like you were XP user and went for win8, besides he got a new gaming built so its obvious to have more than 2gb of rams.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
a b * Windows 8
April 19, 2013 1:07:09 PM

I tested out Win 8 for a little bit, I hate the interface. Great for a tablet I suppose, but not on a laptop or desktop.

I recently placed on order for a laptop. I chose Win 7 as the OS.
m
l
April 23, 2013 7:04:37 AM

Quote:
I, myself, have adapted to the new UI well on my touch-screen Surface RT, but like a number of business users, I find the new UI more of a curse on non-touch-screen machines. As a result, I am still running Windows 7 on two of my three Windows devices.

Where the quote came from:
http://www.zdnet.com/microsofts-windows-8-plan-blue-bring-back-the-start-button-boot-to-desktop-7000014075/

Plus one more thing to remember, software is being sold for $30 to give Win8 back it's start menu. If software is being sold for money to add a start menu...something is wrong with the Windows 8 UI. From what I understand, "under-the-hood" Windows 8 is fine; it is just totally hampered by a bad UI.
m
l
April 23, 2013 7:21:49 AM

RyQril said:
@mahidoes, saying "Please do not listen to others" is kinda offensive, everyone has his own opinion..

Sorry my first language is not English..
m
l
April 24, 2013 2:50:39 AM

stick to windows 7 its user friendly nd also gud fr gamming
m
l
April 24, 2013 3:51:55 AM

Built a new machine this month with Win7 OEM and 1yr old parts (at most) installed. I have had no problems running SC2 HotS, BF3, or Crysis Warhead.
m
l
April 24, 2013 6:00:29 AM

Honestly Ive been using Windows 8 at work for the past 2 months and have really started to like. Been looking to install it on my Windows 7 machine at home. Mainly the faster boot up time is pretty impressive. My work computer with a standard hard drive boots almost as fast as my Corsair 120gb ssd with Windows 7 at home. I also like the better mulitimonitor support. Lastly the use of the Windows key. In Windows 8 you can pretty much do anything just by using the Windows Key.
m
l
April 27, 2013 12:49:27 AM

The two halves of the OS may feel rather disjointed, but Windows 8 is fast and does a lot of things better than Windows 7. by the way. i've done this already. check out frinzee.com and make your calls official
m
l
April 29, 2013 7:16:49 AM

caponewgp86, James LaRosa
Windows 8 "under the hood" is better then Windows 7. It is just cursed with such a drastically different UI that it has a bad rap. If Microsoft does make Service Pack 1 give it an option to have a Windows 7 type UI I would upgrade to 8. But until then I'm sticking with the UI that I know and work better with.

Also if you guys think this UI argument is bad. Just take a look at the Linux side and there you'll see a fight between many different UI's. One that is close to the Windows 8 UI is Unity.
m
l
May 4, 2013 10:34:20 AM

Gennaios said:
for gaming go for windows 7!now i am thinking it again why to go with windows 8?

Heyyy windows 8 is damn awesome u know that
I had many lagging issues wit battlefield 3 on win7 u noe that
I was not able to run it at even 1024x600 resolution but now i can run it on 1280x720 smoothly on mid setting
Dont blame win8 win7 is crap
m
l
May 18, 2013 8:58:09 AM

Are opinion allowed here? One time I tried "Windows 8 home preview" and im kinda impressed by it but it gave me some confusion. I rather said that "Windows 8" is for casual user or business person and "Windows 7" is for people who demand for speed on a old PC or for gaming enthusiastic.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
a b * Windows 8
May 18, 2013 11:41:56 AM

Go for WIN 7.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
a b * Windows 8
May 18, 2013 11:56:16 AM

Get Windows 8, it's better on the technical side, and you can just restore the Windows 7 interface with Start8 or Classic shell(there are others too).

I'm not sure what games are buggy like they are saying, I have a pretty damn huge game collection on Steam(500+), and a lot of them work fine including a lot of newer ones on Windows 8 without issues(even older games from 8+ years ago).

Most stuff on 7 should work with 8. The only negative is the interface which like I mentioned above can be solved easily. I've had Windows 8 running since launch day and not a single problem.
m
l
May 18, 2013 1:35:00 PM

edogawa said:
Get Windows 8, it's better on the technical side, and you can just restore the Windows 7 interface with Start8 or Classic shell(there are others too).

I'm not sure what games are buggy like they are saying, I have a pretty damn huge game collection on Steam(500+), and a lot of them work fine including a lot of newer ones on Windows 8 without issues(even older games from 8+ years ago).

Most stuff on 7 should work with 8. The only negative is the interface which like I mentioned above can be solved easily. I've had Windows 8 running since launch day and not a single problem.

I remembered I played TF2 on Win 8 Home Preview I see no difference (because I forgot to download a tool to view FPS)
m
l
February 15, 2014 10:45:00 AM

Go with any windows 7 there is only maybe 2 or 3 fps difference but who cares... and it also depends on your system so i would stick to windows 7 better for games and softwares :)  good luck
m
l
April 21, 2014 1:17:25 AM

I really don't know why people think Windows 8 is worse than Windows 7 in gaming

Just listen to yourselves

It is the Windows OS, the jump from Windows 7 to 8 is NOT THAT BIG
Literally, you can put Windows 8 in desktop mode and have the same exact experience as a Windows 7 user (minus start menu)

But a difference in performance? Nope, none, nada, zilch.

It's Windows, and yes, Microsoft made a stretch to the new Start Screen, but it is still Windows, it will run games at just the same performance as Windows 7.

The only reason you might choose Windows 8 over Windows 7 is because of compatibility issues.
When newer games comes out, they will be tested for on Windows 8.

They will do the same thing to Windows 7 as they did with Win95, 98, 2000, and now XP.

The developers for games will no longer support Vista soon, and later on 7. That might be possibly, the only reason one might choose Windows 8 over 7.

Sincerely,
The only person that doesn't comment leech
m
l
April 21, 2014 6:13:47 AM

Instead of jumping the bandwagon and yell out my preference, I will ask you this, do you have a Windows 7 or 8 license yet?

If you do, stick with the one you have. If you have both 7 & 8dual boot and try them out.

Advantages (& disadvantages) of Win7:

* compatibility
* familiarity
* OS performance is slower than Windows 8, but in games Windows 7 is as good if not better. Windows 8 is faster to boot, react to starting applications and requires a smaller resource foot print in operation.

Advantages (& disadvantages) of Win 8:

* As mentioned, productivity Windows 8 is faster and gaming is the same or slightly less
* Compatibility with newer apps, and heaps of very useful features and conveniences
* If you don't like Metro, you won't like Windows 8. The start button is sort of back with Windows 8.1 upgrade
* Cloud integration, so your profile goes with you wherever you login or re-install your PC or add another one
* DirectX 11.1 support

Personally, I don't game too much so I choose Windows 8 for ease of use, efficiency and instant booting. I don't mind Metro on the desktop and like it on the tablet/ phone.
m
l
August 1, 2014 1:08:13 PM

This thread is a bit old, I'm seeing the trend that Win8 is better than when it launched, but it still seems to be a preference issue, not a performance issue. I'm an 'old fart', and this computer is only going to be for gaming, no browsing, no media, no apps. Sounds like Win8 advocates are saying I can go Win8 then turn off a bunch of stuff I don't want so its more like Win7/XP, where Win7 sounds like what I want for a gaming system. Maybe someday I'll need to upgrade, perhaps sooner if I go Win7, but as gaming systems go lifespan is alwasy limited to when you bought it and how much you forked out. I'm also a sysadmin by trade and while I don't use Win at work I see stats from my user base still has a Win7 preference over Win8 by a factor of 25x. That alone has me thinking Win7 will be a good choice for serveral years. OK, off soapbox, disuade me please.
m
l
!