Asus P4P800 or Abit IS7.. which is better for OCin

mixerman

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2003
Just looking to buy a new P4 motherboard and I plan on doing some pretty intensive Over Clocking of a P4 2.4c and I want to know what Motherboard is the BEST for overclocking the 865PE chipset..? Also, what's the best Ram for this..?

My system:
P3 850mhz (100fsb), 512 Micron PC133, Abit SE6, IBM Deskstar 75gxp (60 gig @ 7200rpm), Hercules 3D Prophet 2 GTS (64 meg), SB Live MP3, Pioneer 16x DVD, Asus 45x CD-Rom

TheMASK

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2003
the Abit IS7 comes highly recomended for giving u good value for money. hang around to see ppl with personal exeriences with either board to give u a better picture.

<b><font color=red>The statement below is True.</font color=red>
<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=959979" target="_new">3DMark 03 score - 297 </A> :cool:
<font color=blue> The statement above is false.</font color=blue></b>

xeenrecoil

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2003
heya mixerman;

In an recent anandtech article they reviewed a bunch of i865 chipset boards, and the two motherboards they deemed worth mentioning were the Asus and the Abit.

The Abit was praised for value and function with a small mention of its overclocking features, while the Asus was declaired the Speed king because of its rich overclocking features and ability.

They didnt like that Asus decided to cut cost and use third party chips for onboard features instead of the intel ICH, however they also didnt like that Abit decided to place their IDE ports on the side edge of the board making it difficult to work with while inside the case.

So its up to you, the Abit has the intel ICH, and the asus is the king of speed and OC, they both got good reviews but the Abit got the thumbs up over the asus.

XeeN